General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Summer sun, humidity and heat Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-03 12:51 PM

Subject: Summer sun, humidity and heat
Just wondering what your techniques are to beat the heat during the summer racing season. For me, sun, heat and humidity are my kryptonite. Regardless of how well prepared I may be for a race (or training session for that matter), if it's hot and sunny my performance materially drops off. Being born and raised in snow country, I'm much more comfortable in cooler temps. Let put it this way, I'm still in shorts down to the high 30s and although I live in NY, I don't own a winter coat and don't see the need for one. So, long story short, heat, sun and humidity kick my a$$.

I know this is an issue that we all face each to our own degree, so I was wondering what you do to beat the heat. I typically try to stay hydrated, use sponges, take salt tabs/extra electrolytes, find shade when available, and wear sunscreen. And I try to do some training sessions in heat to acclimatize myself (and they suck, but I do them anyway).

Am I missing anything?

2014-06-03 1:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Summer sun, humidity and heat
This is obvious but I'll say it anyway. Get up as early as you can and go before the sun comes up. I'm also a New Yorker, runnin in shorts when its 30 degrees, but live in the south now where I'm very out of my element. I almost always run with my water bottle belt, and recently started running with a small camelback filled with ice water. I was worried it would slosh too much but its not bad. I've even gone as far as to plan my running routes around where I knew there were busted fire hydrants spewing cool water into the street. Torbjorn Sindball wears all long sleeved white clothing to keep the sun off, but more interestingly he will run while wearing a rubber glove filled with ice. I read about some research he had done about where heat can leave your body fastest or something like that, and the palms of your hands seem to be a hot spot, so the ice glove keeps his body cool. I haven't tried it because I feel a little silly, but we all look a little silly in this sport so it's worth a shot. Keep cool my friend

Edited by trijamie 2014-06-03 1:20 PM
2014-06-03 1:26 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by trijamie This is obvious but I'll say it anyway. Get up as early as you can and go before the sun comes up. I'm also a New Yorker, runnin in shorts when its 30 degrees, but live in the south now where I'm very out of my element. I almost always run with my water bottle belt, and recently started running with a small camelback filled with ice water. I was worried it would slosh too much but its not bad. I've even gone as far as to plan my running routes around where I knew there were busted fire hydrants spewing cool water into the street. Torbjorn Sindball wears all long sleeved white clothing to keep the sun off, but more interestingly he will run while wearing a rubber glove filled with ice. I read about some research he had done about where heat can leave your body fastest or something like that, and the palms of your hands seem to be a hot spot, so the ice glove keeps his body cool. I haven't tried it because I feel a little silly, but we all look a little silly in this sport so it's worth a shot. Keep cool my friend

Why not freeze your water bottles and run with hand helds then? 

2014-06-03 1:53 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Ice down the shorts - at least at races.  Not the most pleasant sensation, but wooooo does it cool you down.  Ice under a hat also works.  Ice in your hands (or frozen bottles, as above) helps while running.  All of these are easier on a well stocked race course, and much tougher on a training run (ice melts, after all).  

Never tried a glove with ice in it.  <pictures self running with ice filled surgical gloves, a shower cap with ice and shorts full of ice… shudder>

One thing to consider is not running at dawn, but rather at noon.  Miserable, yes, but it would help your body adapt to the heat - at least as much as is possible.

I hope adaptation works, else this very Northern/furry dude is going to be in a world of hurt (might be moving to Austin)!

GL

Matt

2014-06-04 5:38 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sigh....Almost all my training and much of my racing is in the heat (thus the username). My survival tips:

Training

*Do most of it early AM (or after dark if you have a safe venue). I know you want to "acclimatize" to the heat, but the quality of your training and your ability to recover will really suffer if you are always punishing your body like that. You simply can't hold the same intensity for as long in extreme heat/humidity, and might be putting your health in danger. In my experience, the hardest workouts to do in those conditions are tempo runs where you sustain a hard effort for beyond 20 minutes or so, or rides with hard efforts of over an hour. If you do one of those, take plenty of time to recover in the AC.

*Drink on a regular schedule, not according to thirst. I generally drink at 15 minutes, 30 minutes, and every 10 minutes thereafter. In really extreme conditions, it might be every five minutes. Three or four sips at a time. Drinking a smaller amount more frequently makes it easier for your body to absorb and lessens the chance of sloshing and other GI issues.

*Don't make your drinks too concentrated--more chance of GI issues and you will just get thirstier. For runs, I usually do 1/2 of a Nuun tablet in 600ml of water--carry and drink one bottle for runs in the 50-75 minute range and two for anything 80 minutes and up. On the bike I have one bottle with a full tablet in 750ml and another one with a half tablet, plus plain water in my aerobottle for a long ride.

*You may need to cut back on the calories you take in on longer runs/rides. I think this has to do with drinking more--only so much can go into the system. It also takes water to wash down/break down carbs. Plus you will be less hungry.

*Run/ride shady routes whenever possible.

*In really extreme conditions, stop for 30 seconds or so or walk while you take a drink when running. This will let your core temp briefly go down a little. It makes a difference.

*Avail yourself of any chance to pour water over yourself or jump into water. In Hawaii I used to take off my shoes, jump into the ocean, swim for a few minutes, dry off, shoes back on, keep running.

*Stop and find AC if you get dizzy, nauseous, or other extreme discomfort.

Racing

*Accept that it's going to impact your performance. I've actually run my over 40 PB for 10K in very hot conditions, but it was a swim/run race and I'd swum first, so started a bit cooled. Run-only races longer than 5K are going to be impacted, and tri runs most of all, since you've probably already gotten heated up/dehydrated on the bike and possibly even the swim.

*Keep to a regular drinking schedule.

*Again, you may find that you need/can handle less nutrition than in cooler conditions. Unless it's an iron-distance event or you have serious issues with low blood sugar, the main goal is not puking, rather than getting in XX calories per kilo/mile/hour or whatever. When in doubt, I don't have that extra gel when racing in the heat!

*Some of those hi-tech fabrics (Ice-X, Innr Cool) for cooling actually work, but they need to be wet (either from your sweat, or water, or both).

*Get creative with ice and sponges. Down the shorts, down the tri top (bra for women), in your hat, anywhere that feels good.

*Make sure you don't (as I did in the final stages of misery in my last race) pour Gatorade over yourself by mistake!

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-06-04 5:41 AM
2014-06-04 6:44 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

*Again, you may find that you need/can handle less nutrition than in cooler conditions. Unless it's an iron-distance event or you have serious issues with low blood sugar, the main goal is not puking, rather than getting in XX calories per kilo/mile/hour or whatever. When in doubt, I don't have that extra gel when racing in the heat!

That is interesting. It has been a very cool spring here, but it was hot and muggy yesterday. I had a heavy lunch and when I ran 5 hours later, I could still feel it weighing down my stomach.

I am looking for any tips on dealing with the humidity that I can find. If it gets hot and muggy, my sweat just sits on my skin instead of cooling me when I run, and my endurance goes way down.

2014-06-04 7:56 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Humidity is the killer. About the only things I've found that work are some of the tech fabrics and pouring water over oneself. Some of the Pearl Izumi arm coolers, and the Ice-X Fabric in some of the 2XU suits, have a noticeable cooling effect, probably other brands as well. The arm coolers have a greater evaporative cooling effect than bare skin on the bike and, to a lesser extent, on the run, once you get them good and sweaty; they also provide some UV protection. The downside of the water pouring method is that it gets into one's shoes. And at least in my case, my shoes are already sloshing with sweat anyway after any run over about 45 minutes during the hottest season here--sodden shoes don't exactly make one feel energetic and speedy, esp. in a brick or tri run.

Another trick I forgot to mention is keeping the water in the fridge (or one of the bottles in the freezer before a long ride) so it's good and cold. I find that helps get my core temperature down quicker.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-06-04 8:04 AM
2014-06-04 8:08 AM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Regarding adaptation and working out in the heat of the day...USA Triathlon just had an article pertaining to that.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/multis...

2014-06-04 8:23 AM

Sigh....Almost all my training and much of my racing is in the heat (thus the username). My survival tips:

Training

*Do most of it early AM (or after dark if you have a safe venue). I know you want to "acclimatize" to the heat, but the quality of your training and your ability to recover will really suffer if you are always punishing your body like that. You simply can't hold the same intensity for as long in extreme heat/humidity, and might be putting your health in danger. In my experience, the hardest workouts to do in those conditions are tempo runs where you sustain a hard effort for beyond 20 minutes or so, or rides with hard efforts of over an hour. If you do one of those, take plenty of time to recover in the AC.

*Drink on a regular schedule, not according to thirst. I generally drink at 15 minutes, 30 minutes, and every 10 minutes thereafter. In really extreme conditions, it might be every five minutes. Three or four sips at a time. Drinking a smaller amount more frequently makes it easier for your body to absorb and lessens the chance of sloshing and other GI issues.

*Don't make your drinks too concentrated--more chance of GI issues and you will just get thirstier. For runs, I usually do 1/2 of a Nuun tablet in 600ml of water--carry and drink one bottle for runs in the 50-75 minute range and two for anything 80 minutes and up. On the bike I have one bottle with a full tablet in 750ml and another one with a half tablet, plus plain water in my aerobottle for a long ride.

*You may need to cut back on the calories you take in on longer runs/rides. I think this has to do with drinking more--only so much can go into the system. It also takes water to wash down/break down carbs. Plus you will be less hungry.

*Run/ride shady routes whenever possible.

*In really extreme conditions, stop for 30 seconds or so or walk while you take a drink when running. This will let your core temp briefly go down a little. It makes a difference.

*Avail yourself of any chance to pour water over yourself or jump into water. In Hawaii I used to take off my shoes, jump into the ocean, swim for a few minutes, dry off, shoes back on, keep running.

*Stop and find AC if you get dizzy, nauseous, or other extreme discomfort.

Racing

*Accept that it's going to impact your performance. I've actually run my over 40 PB for 10K in very hot conditions, but it was a swim/run race and I'd swum first, so started a bit cooled. Run-only races longer than 5K are going to be impacted, and tri runs most of all, since you've probably already gotten heated up/dehydrated on the bike and possibly even the swim.

*Keep to a regular drinking schedule.

*Some of those hi-tech fabrics (Ice-X, Innr Cool) for cooling actually work, but they need to be wet (either from your sweat, or water, or both).

*Get creative with ice and sponges. Down the shorts, down the tri top (bra for women), in your hat, anywhere that feels good.

*Make sure you don't (as I did in the final stages of misery in my last race) pour Gatorade over yourself by mistake!

This is a ton of good advice.

On the hottest days, I make sure my route has some "pit stops" to cool down. As above, a place with AC is great, but I also find a place with a public restroom can be a lifesaver. One, you may end up going through more fluids than you think and need to refill. Sink works good for refilling, and also to repeatedly pour cool water over your head. Just try to be courteous and not make too much of a mess

Also, to reiterate a point that I think is huge is to drink on a schedule, not by thirst. By the time you are thirsty, its too late, you are dehydrated. If it is really hot, you will become dehydrated anyway, since you will lose more fluids than your body will absorb, but you want to put this off as long as possible.

Oh, and I learned from Bear Grills, that peeing all over yourself can bring down your core temperature.
2014-06-04 8:27 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Key to dealing with the heat is proper pacing and the right mental outlook. From my perspective, it can be mentally oppressive and it certainly slows a person down.

If you want to handle the heat more efficiently, loose weight. The thinner you are, the more efficiently your body will cool itself. (Easier said than done for most of us!)

I don't know if it's been studied and quantified, but I think most of the "cooling" techniques are gimicks. Here's my thinking......once I get my 175# core temperature elevated to a steady-state based on exercise intensity, a few ounces of ice or water really has almost no lasting effect on dropping that core temp. The thing that changes it is the intensity of my workout (the amount of heat I'm generating). I agree that ice and water make me feel better, but I think it's a sensory perception rather than a real change in core temperature.

Some types of clothing provide some relief, depending on conditions. The lower the humidity level, the more effective the "skin cooler" fabrics become. My experience is that, when it's hot and humid, I don't notice any difference when running. I do notice a slight effect on the bike with the wind blowing over them.
2014-06-04 10:55 AM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
I would agree with the suggestions about ice in the palms. On raceday, I also try to get cups of ice. Dump them in my hat and also grab a few handfuls. I will apply the ice to my wrists for a few seconds and then to my heart. I have no idea if the heart thing helps, but it seemed like the thing to do in my last hot race and gave me at least perceptive relief.

2014-06-04 11:13 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by glfprncs

Regarding adaptation and working out in the heat of the day...USA Triathlon just had an article pertaining to that.

That is a great article I thought and a must read for summer training/racing.
2014-06-04 12:15 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Brian,

The heat also kills me as I am a bigger guy. I ran 19 miles yesterday along an unshaded highway in over 80 degree temps with really high humidity!! it was pretty miserable but here is what I do to minimize the discomfort:

1.) Sunscreen- Apply to head, face, shoulders, legs, pretty much all over

2.) Visor/sunglasses- Anything that helps

3.) Run with water- I run with a 5oz Hammer Gel Flask I filled with water. Between rest stops I would sip on it and put some on my head.

4.) Keep your head cool- At every rest stop or every place I get to water, I splash some on my face and the top/back of my head. Keeping my head cold is the best thing I can do to keep my core body temp down.

5.) Towel off if possible. When I can, I towel off or wipe off excess sweat from my chest, back and torso area to make me less sticky. It comes back but for a little bit it makes me feel fresh.

6.) Vary your run times. Try to run later at night or earlier in the morning. Another thing you can do is run inside on the treadmill with a fan on you. I don't know about you but when we do IMMT this summer, my run wont start until sometime between 4-5pm probably so I will be running into the night when the temps start out hot but will cool down.

7.) Try to embrace the suck.
2014-06-04 12:36 PM

Originally posted by ejshowers

x2 - great article. Thanks!

One more question for y'all - does wearing a visor vs a hat make a difference? A visor allows more heat to escape off your head, though a hat provides more sun protection and allows you to put ice underneath it as the article mentioned. Is there an advantage one way or the other?

Edited by LarchmontTri 2014-06-04 12:41 PM
2014-06-04 1:01 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

Originally posted by ejshowers

x2 - great article. Thanks!

One more question for y'all - does wearing a visor vs a hat make a difference? A visor allows more heat to escape off your head, though a hat provides more sun protection and allows you to put ice underneath it as the article mentioned. Is there an advantage one way or the other?

I often wear a visor just for the benefit or keeping sweat out of my eyes. Sunglasses help not just for glare but also the mental aid of not perceiving the world looking hot.

The silver bullet is acclimatization. It sucks but there is no other real shortcut.

Nice to remember on race day that the heat is killing everyone.
2014-06-04 1:01 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Brian,

The heat also kills me as I am a bigger guy. I ran 19 miles yesterday along an unshaded highway in over 80 degree temps with really high humidity!! it was pretty miserable but here is what I do to minimize the discomfort:

3.) Run with water- I run with a 5oz Hammer Gel Flask I filled with water. Between rest stops I would sip on it and put some on my head.

4.) Keep your head cool- At every rest stop or every place I get to water, I splash some on my face and the top/back of my head. Keeping my head cold is the best thing I can do to keep my core body temp down.

5.) Towel off if possible. When I can, I towel off or wipe off excess sweat from my chest, back and torso area to make me less sticky. It comes back but for a little bit it makes me feel fresh.

6.) Vary your run times. Try to run later at night or earlier in the morning. Another thing you can do is run inside on the treadmill with a fan on you. I don't know about you but when we do IMMT this summer, my run wont start until sometime between 4-5pm probably so I will be running into the night when the temps start out hot but will cool down.

Matt - thanks. I think I did pretty much everything right, but perhaps didn't have enough water during my run. Oh well, lesson learned.

BTW, how was your run? Miserable in the heat, yes, but was it a good training run? It's definitely a great cause. And 4-5pm at IMMT...F that. We're going to be on the run course sooner than that!! (ok, at least I hope so...God willing...fingers crossed) But I agree, we'll be running into the night and enjoying the cooler temps. In a weird way, I'm not worried about the heat and sun for IMMT...I'm more concerned about it for my HIM coming up in a few weeks.

For sprints and Olympic distance races, folks generally finish before the heat of the day, and for IMs, folks generally start the run in the late afternoon/early evening - so for both of those cases, the sun and heat play a smaller role. I think heat and sun have the greatest impact on HIM races. For most folks on a HIM, we're probably starting the run at 11am-ish, and then you're out running for 2ish hours just as the sun and heat really start to intensify. This is my major concern.

And in any case, it's probably easier to stay cool in fully supported races vs. long training runs around town.

But as you correctly pointed out, embracing the suck is part of it too.

2014-06-04 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Brian,

Matt - thanks. I think I did pretty much everything right, but perhaps didn't have enough water during my run. Oh well, lesson learned.

BTW, how was your run? Miserable in the heat, yes, but was it a good training run? It's definitely a great cause. And 4-5pm at IMMT...F that. We're going to be on the run course sooner than that!! (ok, at least I hope so...God willing...fingers crossed) But I agree, we'll be running into the night and enjoying the cooler temps. In a weird way, I'm not worried about the heat and sun for IMMT...I'm more concerned about it for my HIM coming up in a few weeks.

For sprints and Olympic distance races, folks generally finish before the heat of the day, and for IMs, folks generally start the run in the late afternoon/early evening - so for both of those cases, the sun and heat play a smaller role. I think heat and sun have the greatest impact on HIM races. For most folks on a HIM, we're probably starting the run at 11am-ish, and then you're out running for 2ish hours just as the sun and heat really start to intensify. This is my major concern.

And in any case, it's probably easier to stay cool in fully supported races vs. long training runs around town.

But as you correctly pointed out, embracing the suck is part of it too.

The run was great! Felt amazing to get to 19 miles. Longest run of my life and probably the longest run I will do in training. When I was done I felt ok but then when I realized I would still have 7 more miles to run, it put it into prespective how far a marathon really is.

As for IMMT, I will be thrilled to get off the bike by 4pm. As long as I make the cutoff, I am happy lol. Now I just need to see what time my wave starts...
2014-06-04 3:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Every triathlete should experience this at least once in a race, maybe not a hot one.

Great post, thanks.

For me:

1. Go as early as possible, with it getting light around 5:15 am I try to get on the road before the heat arrives
2. Treadmill for lunch runs, it gets hot here in the SoCal desert so I regrettably move my lunch runs inside
3. Plenty of water when you do have to go in the heat
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Summer sun, humidity and heat Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HR Training in heat & humidity Pages: 1 2

Started by jsnowash
Views: 2487 Posts: 28

2010-07-07 2:55 PM RedCorvette

High heat/humidity and running

Started by imim
Views: 2311 Posts: 16

2010-07-07 6:51 AM imim

Race Day Forecast: High Heat and Humidity

Started by amykmo
Views: 1257 Posts: 8

2010-06-09 9:31 AM moxie

HR training frustration in the heat and humidity

Started by TriMike
Views: 1240 Posts: 7

2007-05-23 9:07 AM TriMike

Heat, Humidity and HR

Started by txthorns
Views: 861 Posts: 5

2004-07-07 1:27 PM txthorns
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat

date : September 17, 2008
author : AMSSM
Heat stress, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke: How do these relate to hydration? Can I be well hydrated and still suffer heat stress?
date : September 8, 2008
author : ValleyCoach.com
Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?
date : July 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?