Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Selling/Buying House Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-04 9:26 PM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
Subject: Selling/Buying House

Selling and buying a house is freaking stressful!  We are relocating from Augusta to Atlanta and got an offer on our house in Augusta in 4 days.  We finally found the perfect house north of Atlanta and are anxiously waiting for the sellers to accept our offer.  I understand their concern since we included a stipulation that our house in Augusta closes but gosh darn it is stressful.  We are past due diligence on our Augusta home and everything is on track but the sellers of the house in Atlanta have suddenly got cold feet because we won't accept their counter offer to stay in the house an additional 2 - 3 days after closing.  They have family here and admitted they have a space to store furniture so I don't understand the issue.  They don't seem to understand that we are essentially homeless once we close on our house in Augusta.  Oh the joys of selling and buying in tandem.

2014-06-05 5:33 AM
in reply to: csharp1171

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
Subject: RE: Selling/Buying House
Going through the exact same thing currently, although we are just moving locally. We are selling our home FSBO, so its about all I think about all day long. Just hoping to not get an email about backing out of the agreement or something else bad.
2014-06-05 10:29 AM

User image

I just went through all that fun myself. It was my first time selling and buying at the same time. We were able to negotiate staying in our house for 30 days after closing and took possession of our new house at closing which made moving a little less stressful. Our selling agent was adamant that we maintain possession of our house after closing to be sure that closing was successful. It would suck to be all moved out then something go wrong with the closing. I'm glad the entire process is over. We moved ourselves... never again. Goodluck!
2014-06-05 1:33 PM
in reply to: aalbury

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

We really struggled with if we try to keep possession of our house we are selling.  The buyers wanted possession at closing and we really needed to sell the house so we agreed.  It does make me nervous that something could go wrong and delay closing.  Since we will essentially be homeless at closing we are pushing so hard to take possession of the new house at closing.  I just want it all over with.

2014-06-05 1:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

It's not really fair to homeless people to say you could be "homeless" while you sell and buy a house. 

First world problem.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-06-05 1:38 PM
2014-06-05 2:21 PM
in reply to: TriathletePT

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by TriathletePT

Going through the exact same thing currently, although we are just moving locally. We are selling our home FSBO, so its about all I think about all day long. Just hoping to not get an email about backing out of the agreement or something else bad.

How'd selling FSBO go? I'd consider that but I'd worry about legalities and whatnot.

2014-06-05 2:36 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mr2tony
Originally posted by TriathletePT Going through the exact same thing currently, although we are just moving locally. We are selling our home FSBO, so its about all I think about all day long. Just hoping to not get an email about backing out of the agreement or something else bad.
How'd selling FSBO go? I'd consider that but I'd worry about legalities and whatnot.

It's pretty simple.....at least it was 15 years ago when we did it.  The contract is generic, and the title company keeps it legal.  The hard part, back then, was advertising it.  I'd imagine that would be A LOT easier since Al Gore's invention.

2014-06-05 3:22 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
Originally posted by Left Brain

It's not really fair to homeless people to say you could be "homeless" while you sell and buy a house. 

First world problem.

LOL! Do you feel better now?
2014-06-05 3:36 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by csharp1171
Originally posted by Left Brain

First world problem.

LOL! Do you feel better now?

I'll check, but I felt pretty good to begin with. 

2014-06-05 5:08 PM

New user
Key West
Originally posted by csharp1171

We really struggled with if we try to keep possession of our house we are selling.  The buyers wanted possession at closing and we really needed to sell the house so we agreed.  It does make me nervous that something could go wrong and delay closing.  Since we will essentially be homeless at closing we are pushing so hard to take possession of the new house at closing.  I just want it all over with.

Despite the semantics argument, I do understand what you are saying about not having an address or place to call home for the interim. The juggling is tough. I have bought and sold 8 homes and have been pretty lucky with timing so far. However, I am doing it again soon and am really more nervous about the timing now. But, you just have to go with the flow.

As far as the offers go, there are many locales now where unless you can offer to pay cash, your offer is not accepted. The sellers in high demand areas can afford to be choosier. I saw a bit on the news the other night about a couple who had lost out on 8 offers because they couldn't pay cash. Sheesh. That will stop though at some point. Good luck!!
2014-06-06 5:41 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
Originally posted by mr2tony

Originally posted by TriathletePT

It has gone fairly well. We spent 6 months on the market FSBO and just as we were about to pull it and just settle back in here, I got a call, had a showing, and agreed on an offer within 24 hours. The biggest downside is the direct communication. Since the buyers signed the contract, they have just been fairly unfriendly and getting very demanding. Having the realtor as the middle man to help with some of these issues would have been nice. But, saving 5 figures on commission is nice too.

2014-06-06 12:01 PM
in reply to: TriathletePT

User image

We bought our current house from a FSBO. We hired a real estate attorney who gave us all the documentation we needed. The sellers were pleasant to deal with and we were able to come to terms really easily. The best part was no Realtor fees which means we got the house for a good price as the sellers didn't have to raise the price to cover the fees.

When it comes to sell this house many years down the road, I plan to sell it myself.
2014-06-06 4:26 PM
in reply to: aalbury

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
I feel the pain - I took a position in Atlanta jan 2013 and our house sold super quick in Ohio. We tried finding housing in northern atlanta near my job but we thought the prices were a little bit insano. We ended up renting for a year and we just closed on a home last friday in Cumming. Good luck with the transition - I have lived in my hosue, two corporate apartment rentals, a rental home , and now the home we just pruchased in the last 16 months. I am ready to unpack
2014-06-07 6:21 AM
in reply to: bananatoes

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
Originally posted by bananatoesI feel the pain - I took a position in Atlanta jan 2013 and our house sold super quick in Ohio. We tried finding housing in northern atlanta near my job but we thought the prices were a little bit insano. We ended up renting for a year and we just closed on a home last friday in Cumming. Good luck with the transition - I have lived in my hosue, two corporate apartment rentals, a rental home , and now the home we just pruchased in the last 16 months. I am ready to unpack
We are looking at houses in Cumming. Where do you work and what's the commute like? I'm on a contract position right now in Buckhead but plan on taking a permanent position in Alpharetta.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Selling/Buying House Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Educate me on some house selling stuff...

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 1075 Posts: 13

2008-09-12 8:00 PM jldicarlo

More selling house questions

Started by graceful_dave
Views: 1539 Posts: 12

2008-01-10 8:20 PM graceful_dave

Fix it tips, for selling a house.

Started by papson14
Views: 871 Posts: 16

2008-01-09 8:57 AM Machiavelo

My House Has Sold

Started by CitySky
Views: 511 Posts: 18

2007-10-12 10:53 AM CitySky

I'm selling my house and it's falling apart...

Started by maggyruth
Views: 573 Posts: 5

2007-06-04 7:33 PM McFuzz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.

date : August 13, 2008
author : say78
comments : 0
In February, I was given a very special gift: a gift certificate to buy a nice road bike. That's when I realized there was no turning back. I WAS doing this.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.