General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Benefit of a bike fit-Best $150 I've ever spent on this sport Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-06 12:57 PM

Arden, North Carolina
Subject: Benefit of a bike fit-Best $150 I've ever spent on this sport
I've had my bike for a year and a half now, and just recently had a professional fit. I thought it was fine, I was comfortable, no real pain issues, could ride 4+ hours without any problems, but I am doing my second ironman and felt it was at least worth looking into. I looked around at the local shops and the prices ranged from $250-$400. Then when asking for recommendations a local coach, mentioned that he does them at his home for $150. I talked to him briefly and decided to go that route. Also told me that he'd cut the price if he didn't have to do much, so that sounded like a deal.

I've done two rides since the fit and oh my god, the difference is amazing. My first ride was an 80 miler along a course I've done a ton and like clockwork I'm typically at 18 mph give or take. This ride, same effort level I was at 19.3(dropped a bit at the end doing some hills to get to 80 miles). I was more comfortable than before, and significantly faster. Not only was i faster, but I was faster for a longer distance than I've gone before. My longest ride prior to this one was 78 miles, pretty much the same route where I averaged 18.2.

I always under rated the value of a bike fit, figured I was comfortable and there are way more "fun" things to spend money on in triathlon. But, what I'm saying is if you've never been fit and even if you think you're good, it's well worth looking at. I'd have never known I could be so much faster and more comfortable.

By the way, the fit was done by Heath Dotson out of Asheville, so if you're in the area for whatever reason, I HIGHLY recommend him if you're need a fit. Did a great job and really looked at everything very closely.

2014-06-06 1:17 PM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Benefit of a bike fit-Best $150 I've ever spent on this sport

Great to see that the investment was worth it! 

I had a basic fit (~$50) on my "crappo" bike (that's all I have at the moment) and even that made a difference.  Ended up spending some money on a new saddle and a couple other things but it's been really helpful.  I'm doing my 1st tri in August and getting my new bike after that (as my reward for finishing).  I'm not going to do the full fit on the current bike but I'm definitely budgeting for it with the new one.

2014-06-06 6:10 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville  By the way, the fit was done by Heath Dotson out of Asheville, so if you're in the area for whatever reason, I HIGHLY recommend him if you're need a fit. Did a great job and really looked at everything very closely.

He's one of the brains behind the Aero Camp I went do. That dude is GREAT. 

2014-06-07 6:07 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville
I always under rated the value of a bike fit, figured I was comfortable and there are way more "fun" things to spend money on in triathlon. But, what I'm saying is if you've never been fit and even if you think you're good, it's well worth looking at. I'd have never known I could be so much faster and more comfortable.

Exactly why I always talked about bike fit being one of the most important things you can spend money on. Bike fit first, then buy a bike that fits! Really glad to hear your story, it should be a lesson to most of us.
2014-06-07 1:09 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

I'm in the same boat. Got my bike about 1.5 years ago and got a free basic fit with the purchase of it. No pain issues and I'm comfortable but I always wondered if I could benefit from this. The place around here is $300 for the most recommended fit but wow...a lot to ask for for just a few adjustments. I took out 2 spacers 6 months ago so my front is lower than before and it seemed to help a little. I should do it but the money I spent on my bike and triathlons this past year was insane...
2014-06-08 2:06 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

I've been trying to find out where the best place in Melbourne is to get fitted up! I have had my bike about 6 months and done a bit of fiddling but still no comfy or feel like I can push...

Great to hear it was worthwhile! I need to look harder!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Benefit of a bike fit-Best $150 I've ever spent on this sport Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Best Indoor bike Trainer for under $150.

Started by NCCRunner
Views: 7244 Posts: 13

2011-11-09 1:47 PM vmaldonado111

The best running article I've ever read ...

Started by TriAya
Views: 1879 Posts: 15

2011-01-12 12:16 PM GmrGirl

Best $8 ever spent for pre-race good sleep

Started by ahohl
Views: 1791 Posts: 12

2010-08-03 9:21 AM mattb1

Best money spent on a bike....

Started by stuarbc
Views: 1883 Posts: 24

2010-05-27 12:01 PM TriMyBest

Poll: Best place to spend Bike $ for HIM set up

Started by pmt
Views: 904 Posts: 6

2010-04-16 11:14 AM pmt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?
date : December 12, 2009
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.

date : June 17, 2009
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.
date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.
date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.

date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.