World Triathlon Corporation
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 34m 19s
Overall Rank = 1283/2007
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 79/123
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:45 and started the coffee. After a bagel and cup of coffee we gathered our things, checked out of the hotel and loaded the truck. Our water bottles were on ice in the cooler so we loaded them up into our morning bags and migrated to the busses. We dropped our bike to run bag off and got on the bus, it was 4:50AM. After a 35 minute bus ride to T1 we checked our bikes, pumped up the tires, and did any last minute bike checks. I saw Steve Pate and Gee, who was nice enough to take my bike pump home for me. It seems that there was some chatter about not bringing pumps back because they didnt fit into the morning bags. We put on our wetsuits and got ready for the swim start. My wave was at 7:10AM so I went ahead and walked down to the water.
Event warmup:

By the time we got to the swim start they were telling everyone to get out of the water, so we didnt warm up.
Swim
  • 44m 2s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was one of my best swims although my time doesnt reflect it. I let most of my group go before me so I didnt get kicked or punched a single time. I got in a groove and enjoyed the swim. Even my goggles cooperated by not fogging up, and I only had to stop once to let the water out of the right side.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 05m 30s
Comments:

Running out of the water I noticed my right eye was blurry. I think it was because that side had filled with water. The wetsuit strippers were standing by so I plopped on the ground and in an instant my wetsuit was off. My bike was at the other end of the transition area so I had a long run to reach it. I dumped all my run gear out of the bag and sat down next to it. Everything went smooth as I put on the socks, shoes, helmet and garmin.

nothing
Bike
  • 3h 15m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Several things went bad from the start. My garmin didnt load satellites and went into the "are you indoors" mode. I never did get the thing to work right. My bike computer didnt start registering miles until I was about 6 miles in, so I had to rely on the road signs to tell me how far I was along. As if that wasnt bugging me enough I noticed the shield on my aero helmet had become detached and was balancing on my nose. I tried to fix it on the move but ended up stopping on a bridge and fixing it. I took a moment and looked at the lake, it was a beautiful day. Off in the distance I could see the swim start. I guessed they were still out there swimming. I passed the first aid station but was ready for a bathroom break by the second. The bike was going good and I was averaging about 18mph which is good (for me anyway). I waved at all the people rooting and cheering and was enjoying the ride. It was shortly after that everything went south, except the hills which suddenly became my worst enemies. Some of those hills had me wondering if I could even make it to the top or would I have to get off my bike and walk it to the top. One of the aid stations was placed on these hills, so if I was going to get anything from them I was going to have to dismount. I kept going, at a slow 16mph pace, to the bike finish. Even the end was on a hill and I dismounted at T2 in the smallest chain ring. I was so happy that ride was over but not looking forward to the run. My quads were shot.

I would and should have trained for the bike. We only did 3 rides that reached 50-52 miles.
Transition 2
  • 04m 43s
Comments:

As soon as I got off the bike I ran to my spot on the rack. My legs were not happy but I figured they would wake up soon enough. Once again my garmin was failing to load the satellites. Its a good thing there wasnt a trash can by me or I would have thrown it away. Put on shoes, sunglasses, Run to Remember shirt, hat and out of transition I went.

nothing
Run
  • 2h 24m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m  min/mile
Comments:

My strides were shorter than normal but I was able to complete the first loop without issue. There were a couple nice hills that slowed me down to a snail pace. The aid stations were filled with awesome volunteers. I got water and a couple cups of coke. They had lots of ice soaked sponges that went on the back of my neck. After completing the first loop I could see the finish line and the faster people finishing to the cheers of the crowd. Then it was a left turn to go back out there. This time I decided to walk up the hills and run the downhills and flats. The second loop was 12 minute miles so I figure I walked more than I remembered. I remember saying to myself that I only had a half mile to go and couldnt hardly run another step. Somehow once you see that finish line all the pain leaves the body.

Dont really know. I suppose I should be stronger mentally and not walk.
Post race
Warm down:

After the finish it was pictures, pizza, water, then wait for Maria who started 28 minutes after me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Although I only swam a half dozen times this year my swim was good and my average (non current) time. I did not bike mush at all in training. This was the biggest thing that kept me from having a good time. The run would have been better had my legs not blown on the bike. Overall I was happy with my performance and had a fun time.

Event comments:

Driving up to Raleigh Friday and doing the expo and packet pick up took a load off of Saturday. One thing was the 35 minute drive from T2 to the swim start and T1. Once the bike was dropped off there was no going back to check it so you had to make sure everything wsa good to go. Other than that it was a great race.The volunteers were great. and there were lots of aid stations. If I never do this race again its only because of the hills.

Last updated: 2014-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:02 | 2112 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 79/123
Overall: 1354/2007
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: rectangle course, clockwise. I think it was about 600 yards out, right turn for about 900 and 600 back to the boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:15:59 | 56 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 85/123
Overall: 1258/2007
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: 26 miles of smiles and 30 miles of sucky hills and frowns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:24:05 | 13.1 miles | 11m  min/mile
Age Group: 79/123
Overall: 1283/2007
Performance: Average
Course: This was a 3.25 mile out and back that you had to do 2 times. Note the torment of getting to see the finish line then having to make a left and do another loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-06 1:27 PM

User image

New user
Fayetteville
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Raleigh
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Raleigh Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by soccerpmw15
Views: 1576 Posts: 7

2014-06-03 3:08 PM enders_shadow

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 1203 Posts: 1

2013-06-03 9:16 AM La Tortuga

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by WoodrowCall
Views: 1858 Posts: 6

2013-06-03 11:12 PM Chunga

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by matthewwise
Views: 1508 Posts: 3

2013-06-03 5:40 PM tarheeltri

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by tarheeltri
Views: 1432 Posts: 4

2013-06-03 5:24 PM tarheeltri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.