General Discussion Race Reports! » Redondo Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Redondo Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Redondo Beach, California
United States
TC Tri Productions
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 51m 34s
Overall Rank = 22/523
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/45
Pre-race routine:

10 year anniversary for race, was my first 10 years ago. Either raced or volunteered every year.

Goal this year was to go sub :50 and podium in M45-49. First should have been doable, second was a long shot since I saw a guy from Irvine that comes up and destroys our age group listed on the start list (won by 5 minutes this year, in a 45-50 minute race). Dana, another friend can easily outrun me. So that's two slots gone. Last year Dana and I swam, bike and transitioned basicallythe same race until he outran my by 2 minutes. Maybe one other person would get off course or something....
Event warmup:

pulled up about 5:15 and got an early transition slot. My wife was one of the volunteer captains so we always have to show up early.

Ran a little bit of the run course, then got in the water. I prefer to swim the 400 ish yards to the swim start rather than walking on the beach. Plus I just like longer swim warmups
Swim
  • 15m 44s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Probably the best swim I've had here. There was some wave action and a funky lip drop off about knee deep water, causing a weird surf section and giving lots of folks issues (47 people pulled on the swim, a record). We didn't get any sets so I just barreled through.

Looking up, it was just me and a couple other guys past the surf zone. I was surprised as I didn't see the AG winner, but looked ahead and there he was. Was fourth in the wave (all males 35-49) at the first buoy. Finally FINALLY caught an excellent draft and just tailed the guy the whole swim. And I was towing Dana as it turns out.

Never felt gassed on the swim, and because we were wave 2, not many people to navigate through. Just kept a steady, sightly uncomfortable rhythm. I usually take the swim a bit easier than a typical sprint as it's .5 miles so bit of a haul.

Turned into shore, and looked for a wave to catch. My draftee took a line to the right, i decided to take a chance to the left, maybe a wave would break on my side and not his (or, I'd lose out if he got the wave, but I didn't want both of us getting it). I didn't catch a wave but we stood up at the same time, began the slog up the sand to the long uphill run to .....

Dana and I finished the swim at the exact same time. So it was going to be a repeat of last year

Swim was a little longer than last year, everyone in the top was 1-2 minutes off

Happy with result, tied for 2d ag and 18th OA (always seems to be some fast swimmers in this swimmer's race)
Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

T1... long uphill. I looked back and Dana was there but he soon gapped me up the hill. Just tried to get to my bike with my HR somewhere on this planet..

However, somehow I exited before Dana
Bike
  • 16m 11s
  • 6 miles
  • 22.25 mile/hr
Comments:

This course is so short there really is no place to back off and catch your breath. Dana came by me early and I just paced him (legally). On the false flat downhill a mile in I passed him. After the 180 and return I looked back and he was pacing me. Maybe that's a good idea. He passed me on the climb and I fell in behind him, letting him set the pace.

But on the false flat I had enough momentum to come around again. In retrospect, I should have adopted his philosophy and stayed there and gotten a little more comfortable. I was hammering pretty hard, and my placing shows that. But I don't feel like I overbiked it.

The hill comes right at the end of lap one and the end of the ride, so you start lap 2/finish pretty gassed and with legs burning.

AP 267
NP 288 (was 289 last year)
max 633
last year went 16:04 so a bit longer, but a much better placing

And Dana and I had the exact same time,,,,So tied for 2d AG agan, but 7th out of 523 OA, very happy with that.
What would you do differently?:

maybe back off a little....
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Thought I was efficient but al the top guys are sub 1:00, and Dana ran out before me
Run
  • 15m 40s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran out a few yards behind Dana, but knew he was gone, although he ran away from me a bit slower than last year. So I knew at least two slots gone. But I kept on in the hopes that perhaps I'd pull it out. Coming to a corner saw a couple guys coming from off the pier (not the course), they'd run off course and were coming back. No one knew the course. Well, I did, anyway and I pointed them in the right direction. Perhaps I should have... never mind :) Dana kept receding further in the distance. Got passed by one guy, but in a few yards passed him back.

This was the same course as last year so I knew it, but scouted the day before and was glad I did. There's a 180 turnaround that was further than before, that would have f'ed with my mind on race day.

I also SO wanted to see at 14:XX split.... My running has improved a bit in the last year, but running fast off a bike like that is so frickin hard. I thought I should be able to hold sub 7:30s, and did for the first mile at 7:24.

But I started lagging a bit in mile 2. I saw a male 47 pass me about 1.25 miles, so knew the podium was gone (didn't know another one had passed me somewhere in there...), so had to find other motivation to go on. I got the feeling that the 14:XX was also gone, so that wouldn't work. Just don't let anyone else pass me. That worked. Mostly.....

The last .25 mile of the run has the same little nasty hill you bike up, but then it's flat and fast for 100 yds to the finish. I heard someone encouraging someone behind me and didn't want to get caught, so just ran as hard as I could.

6 seconds faster than last year, but again think it was slightly long. Garmin was started a few feet in transition and shows 2.12 for a 7:30 average.
What would you do differently?:

run faster?
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out, ate some pizza, checked results, cleaned up transition, helped break down the race, had breakfast.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

run

Event comments:

Great local race that is very safe and well run, and good for swimmers :)

Ended up 5th, better than 7th last year, and better than the 1st through 7th or so I've been as a clydesdale here. Grateful to have gone from being clyde competitive to AG competitive. The kicker is that other than Male 16-19 I would have been on the podium in every other male AG, including a first place. Them's the breaks kid.

As for going sub 50, last year 43 folks went sub 50 (and guess who was 44???). This year only 14. So slower course this year.

Last updated: 2013-11-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:44 | 880 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/45
Overall: 18/523
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangle swim towards Redondo Pier
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:47
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:16:11 | 06 miles | 22.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/45
Overall: 7/523
Wind:
Course: Two loop with one short nasty climb, one 180 degree turn and a dogleg.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:15:40 | 02 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/45
Overall: 81/523
Performance: Below average
Course: weird loopy thing around the pier. but fun
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-06-08 6:36 PM

User image

Subject: Redondo Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course

2014-06-08 8:52 PM
in reply to: #5009060

User image

Subject: RE: Redondo Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course
great race Chris. way to kill that swim. Will post my later. I am bound to run into you at one of these events. Maybe if I get a bit faster, I will see you. Dana is my daughter's swim coach and Michael Collins helped me a little with my running. So our AG category is a bit tough.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Redondo Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Redondo Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1483 Posts: 3

2013-06-16 2:13 PM ligersandtions

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1648 Posts: 3

2012-06-13 1:46 PM tri808

Started by theresa_nelson
Views: 1464 Posts: 1

2012-06-10 6:12 PM theresa_nelson

Started by jpchok
Views: 1116 Posts: 1

2011-10-24 3:13 PM jpchok

Started by SDCali
Views: 1434 Posts: 2

2011-06-13 2:33 PM tophermcdougall
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.

date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.