General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you do when you get a flat in a race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-09 7:58 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: What do you do when you get a flat in a race?
Total newb question here. Most people have a nice compact pack on their bike with a spare, CO2, levers, etc, and it's all nice & wrapped up tight & aero. But what do you do when you get a flat in a race & have to use it? After you are done changing the tire, you have the old tube/tubular and used CO2 cartridges. You can't just toss them on the road for fear of a litter penalty (plus it's a jerk move). So what do you do? Try & shove it all back in your saddle bag? Shove it in your back pocket? Put the tube around you like a bandoleer until the next trash stop?

2014-06-09 8:05 AM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: What do you do when you get a flat in a race?
I've never had to worry about a flat during a race (knock on wood), but if I did, I'd probably stick it in my back pocket and go. I've seen ppl just leave tubes on the side of the road, which I agree is a jerk move (unless it's at an aid station).

It might be worth it to have something kind of sharp to slice the flat tube to make it easier to roll up. If you've ever tried to roll up a flat tube, the air can still get trapped, making it difficult to roll into a small size.
2014-06-09 8:42 AM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Good question!  I would definitely carry it back with me. My tri-suits don't generally have a big back pocket, so I would go bandoleer-style if the distance back is short.   I use a wedge, so I could probably shove it back into the pack, but if I didn't I might also shove it down the front of my top if I still had to ride for a while.

I do have another rule - if I am within a mile or so of  transition I will either ride back on the flat or walk it in. 

2014-06-09 8:45 AM

User image

Stuff it all back into the wedge bag.

If you're changing a tube, you're not all that concerned with avoiding a puncture in the tube you replaced when you're putting it back.

2014-06-09 8:47 AM

Master
Northern IL

If the tube doesn't fit in any of your storage places, carry it on your shoulder, diagonally across your torso. Had to do that before and chucked it at the next aid station.

2014-06-09 8:55 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

Start walking back to the transition area :D

I don't carry a kit...but if I did, and I were to change a tube, I'd just shove everything in a pocket or whatnot until a garbage stop.

2014-06-09 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by Meathead

Total newb question here. Most people have a nice compact pack on their bike with a spare, CO2, levers, etc, and it's all nice & wrapped up tight & aero. But what do you do when you get a flat in a race & have to use it? After you are done changing the tire, you have the old tube/tubular and used CO2 cartridges. You can't just toss them on the road for fear of a litter penalty (plus it's a jerk move). So what do you do? Try & shove it all back in your saddle bag? Shove it in your back pocket? Put the tube around you like a bandoleer until the next trash stop?

Put it wherever you have room, plain and simple. Back in the saddle bag, bento box, jersey pocket etc. good idea about around the neck, you can drop it in the trash at the next aid station etc. In my race yesterday saw a guy waiting for mechanics as he did not carry a spare. It was a 70.3 and all I was thinking was tick-tock, tick tock .......Only 5 minutes off an HIM bike split isn't that bad.
2014-06-09 9:32 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I've only had one flat in a race, and was able to stuff everything back into my saddle pack. 

Biggest problem I had was getting the tire off and back on the rim of my Renn 575 disc.  Very tight; glad I had a couple of tire levers.

Mark

2014-06-09 9:47 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
My real world experience

1) start taking the tire off.
2) Have issues and do your best Norman Stadler impression.
3) Get lucky with sag pull up after you got the tire off.
4) Let them do all the work and tell them how awesome they are
5) reattach wheel and take off

One thing I will point out to alway to check the tire for anything stuck in it. I seen many people replace 6 or 7 tubes in a race. I would made the same mistake if swag did not stop by and do the tire change for me.

2014-06-09 12:15 PM

User image

Usually back pocket, but if you have a one piece with no pockets I've seen guys in training just shove stuff up the opening of their leg.
2014-06-09 12:41 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

**KNOCKING ON WOOD RIGHT NOW****

So far I haven't had to do it.  But if I had to, I would change it on the course, give up any hope of finishing in a great time.  Throw the tube over my head or wrap it around the handle bars and just finish the G-D race cursing for my bad luck.  Woah is me. 

2014-06-09 1:52 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
I would shove it in the tri top, or go bandoleer, I have blown tubes training, once was 2 mi out, and decided to walk rather then monkey with the tube. I however did strip out a pedal my first tri (4 mi into a sprint.), I finished the ride, holding the pedal, worst bike time, but then I passed people on the run. now I check and double check everything, I will look at tire pressure right before I get set in the transition.
2014-06-09 4:36 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Meathead

down the shirt and toss it away at the next aid station
2014-06-10 8:45 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Originally posted by brigby1

If the tube doesn't fit in any of your storage places, carry it on your shoulder, diagonally across your torso. Had to do that before and chucked it at the next aid station.

I caution against this. I actually saw someone do this, get the tube caught on the bike, and down they went. if it doesn't fit somewhere, fold it up and stick it in your shorts or top until the next station
2014-06-10 10:51 AM
in reply to: d00d

Master
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by d00d

I've never had to worry about a flat during a race (knock on wood), but if I did, I'd probably stick it in my back pocket and go. I've seen ppl just leave tubes on the side of the road, which I agree is a jerk move (unless it's at an aid station).

It might be worth it to have something kind of sharp to slice the flat tube to make it easier to roll up. If you've ever tried to roll up a flat tube, the air can still get trapped, making it difficult to roll into a small size.

Poke it with the valve stem
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you do when you get a flat in a race? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2099 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

getting a bike fitting done

Started by rod23
Views: 875 Posts: 3

2010-02-18 9:37 AM jgerbodegrant

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1653 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Never try anything new in a race...especially getting a flat

Started by F1longhorn
Views: 820 Posts: 9

2009-07-02 1:05 PM SevenZulu

First Race Done - Race Report In

Started by Git-tRi-Done
Views: 1044 Posts: 6

2005-07-26 12:22 PM ryjammers
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"