Other Resources The Political Joe » Pay as You Earn Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-10 9:53 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: Pay as You Earn

Obama Calls Out ‘Millionaires’ to Pay for Student Loans

I remember the day when we had three branches of government, where one would create laws, one would execute the laws, and yet a third would deem them legal or not.  Congress is trying to work on legislation for this very issue and Obama just ignores them and puts in place "what he wants" which is of course to just give everyone free money and ignore the problem.  Talk about incentive to not get a good paying job.  If you rack up $200k in student loan debt, then go get a government job for 10 years, make your minimum payments and the rest will be covered by your grandchildren.  I mean, you deserve the money more than they do right.  

Here's a priceless quote from another article I saw last night:

In previous Obama budgets, the White House has predicted that making the plan retroactive would cost the federal government billions of dollars in the early years. Asked about the costs Monday, Education Secretary Arne Duncan said the administration won't know how much it will cost until they go through the rule-making process to put the expansion in place.

"We actually don't know the costs yet," Duncan said. "We'll figure that out on the back end."

Seriously?  I'm so sick and tired of our politicians just spending and spending and spending and spending and spending.  uggh
My 15 year old daughter has more financial maturity than these idiots running our country into the ground.

2014-06-10 10:24 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Regular
Madrid
Subject: RE: Pay as You Earn
Have you ever studied Austrian economics or read a book called The Money Bubble ? If you haven't, don't. It will make you even madder....
2014-06-10 10:25 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by gr33n Have you ever studied Austrian economics or read a book called The Money Bubble ? If you haven't, don't. It will make you even madder....

lol, no I haven't.

2014-06-10 11:48 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
As someone who is heavily indebted in student loans, all I ask is that I can refinance them to current market rates so I'm not paying 7%.
2014-06-10 12:27 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

One thing I was wondering about with a change like this.  Sure, it's great to have a lower monthly payment, but at 7% interest on somebody with 200k in student loans capping them at 10% of their income could get them in a position where their interest is greater than their payment, which could make things ugly really fast.  It also all but guarantees that in 10 or 20 years the taxpayers will "bail out" the individuals' student loan which I guess incents more people to pay the minimum and just let the balance run up knowing that it will go away in 10 or 20 years.

Notice how there's no mention of how student loans are responsible for driving the costs of education through the roof which is likely the biggest reason so many people have astronomical student loan balances?  Oh yeah, we can't talk about that.  Lets just just make the student loans even better so more people run up larger balances.  /facepalm

IMHO it's really just a clever tax ruse that's primarily focused on the poor and middle class.  The government con's everyone into going to school no matter if they can afford it or not by giving "free" student loans.  The government pays $100k to the institution of your choice for the right to tax you $7k/year for potentially the rest of your life.

2014-06-10 12:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

One thing I was wondering about with a change like this.  Sure, it's great to have a lower monthly payment, but at 7% interest on somebody with 200k in student loans capping them at 10% of their income could get them in a position where their interest is greater than their payment, which could make things ugly really fast.  It also all but guarantees that in 10 or 20 years the taxpayers will "bail out" the individuals' student loan which I guess incents more people to pay the minimum and just let the balance run up knowing that it will go away in 10 or 20 years.

Notice how there's no mention of how student loans are responsible for driving the costs of education through the roof which is likely the biggest reason so many people have astronomical student loan balances?  Oh yeah, we can't talk about that.  Lets just just make the student loans even better so more people run up larger balances.  /facepalm

IMHO it's really just a clever tax ruse that's primarily focused on the poor and middle class.  The government con's everyone into going to school no matter if they can afford it or not by giving "free" student loans.  The government pays $100k to the institution of your choice for the right to tax you $7k/year for potentially the rest of your life.

I need to borrow your tinfoil hat to see if I can dial in on what you just wrote.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-06-10 12:46 PM

2014-06-10 1:26 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

I need to borrow your tinfoil hat to see if I can dial in on what you just wrote.

lol, not really a conspiracy thing, more of a different way of looking at it.  The Fed's made almost $20B in "profit" from student loans last year.  Isn't government profit by definition a tax?

2014-06-10 1:26 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by JoshR As someone who is heavily indebted in student loans, all I ask is that I can refinance them to current market rates so I'm not paying 7%.

I could be wrong, but I believe you can.  Only a few lenders may allow you to refi federal loans (many will allow you to refi private loans)--your best bet is likely the gov't Direct Consolidation Loan.  Of course, then you lose things like Pay as You Earn. 

2014-06-10 2:45 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by JoshR As someone who is heavily indebted in student loans, all I ask is that I can refinance them to current market rates so I'm not paying 7%.

I could be wrong, but I believe you can.  Only a few lenders may allow you to refi federal loans (many will allow you to refi private loans)--your best bet is likely the gov't Direct Consolidation Loan.  Of course, then you lose things like Pay as You Earn. 

I don't believe that is correct. I did do a Direct Consolidation loan (all of mine are federal loans) and all it did was combine my payments and weighted my interest exactly the same as it had been.
2014-06-10 4:07 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by JoshR

I don't believe that is correct. I did do a Direct Consolidation loan (all of mine are federal loans) and all it did was combine my payments and weighted my interest exactly the same as it had been.

*shrug*  Guess the program changed.  Anyway, 7% is not too bad of a rate.  There apparently are a few refi options for federal loans into private (see here), though I doubt your savings would be that great.  You already received a subsidy when you borrowed the money.  Getting another subsidy to lower the rate might be nice for you, but not sure that it is in any way 'fair'.

2014-06-10 5:58 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

*shrug*  Guess the program changed.  Anyway, 7% is not too bad of a rate.  There apparently are a few refi options for federal loans into private (see here), though I doubt your savings would be that great.  You already received a subsidy when you borrowed the money.  Getting another subsidy to lower the rate might be nice for you, but not sure that it is in any way 'fair'.

Depending on his family, he may or may not have gotten a subsidy when the money was borrowed.  My son's student loans are all unsubsidized and he's racking up 7% from the moment the money was distributed.  

2014-06-10 7:29 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

7% does seem pretty good for a loan that is "unsecured" (no real collateral)   On the other hand, it's not dischargeable in bankruptcy, so that does feel a little like "collateral" (of the worst kind)  

2014-06-12 7:47 AM

User image

So, if you tithe 10% of your pay to the great God Government for 20 years, it will absolve you of your sin of indebtedness.

Got it.

2014-06-12 9:34 AM

New user

Originally posted by gr33n Have you ever studied Austrian economics or read a book called The Money Bubble ? If you haven't, don't. It will make you even madder....

lol, no I haven't.

When Money Dies is also an interesting read.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Pay as You Earn Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Creative job pay under obamacare

Started by Stuartap
Views: 1061 Posts: 4

2013-12-30 2:56 PM chayes

Back pay bill

Started by Left Brain
Views: 1552 Posts: 8

2013-10-07 8:50 AM Left Brain

ACA could effectively give you a weeks paid vacation!

Started by uclamatt2007
Views: 979 Posts: 3

2013-10-02 7:52 AM Sous
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
We triathletes are a lucky lot. We have the time and the resources to enjoy a sport that is time consuming and can be very expensive. I take this opportunity to reflect on my good fortune.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.