General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reattaching a cable end stop? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-10 11:10 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Reattaching a cable end stop?
The cable end stop near the rear derailleur on my Scott CR1 road bike (carbon frame) came off yesterday. I'd like to reattach this myself. It looks like it was held on by both a rivet and epoxy.

Any recommendations on a specific epoxy to use? Anything that's not obvious that I should watch out for?

My plan is to buff the frame and the part as needed, clean and wash with some rubbing alcohol, apply epoxy to both the part and the frame, rivet in place, then put a spring clamp on also until the epoxy sets.

2014-06-10 2:14 PM
in reply to: #5010115

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Reattaching a cable end stop?
Before you do anything, contact Scott. My friends CR1lost the front derailleur hanger and they fixed it for free. They're not supposed to break like that...
2014-06-10 2:29 PM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Do as ^^ audiojan says. Don't attempt to fix this yourself.

2014-06-11 6:23 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Odd. I had the front derailleur hanger come off this bike a few years ago. The shop sent it in and they did fix it, but it took over three weeks. The hanger is a lot tougher repair. The "new one" they put on has four rivets and is epoxied, Obvious, height and alignment are a little more critical with this part..

My rationale for wanting to do this myself is....#1 It looks as easy as it gets. #2 I don't want to wait #3 It looks like a low consequence of failure repair. It's not a structural component, so if my homemade repair is fails, I'll just loose rear derailleur function until I get home.

Do you guys think this should be sent in because of safety / structural integrity reasons, or because it's something Scott should stand behind.
2014-06-11 6:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
I've NEVER heard of front derailleur mounts or cable stops popping off frames. My pock marked 25 year-old Cannondale frame still has original hardware. It sounds like the frame was build by an employee on his first day on the job. Since this is the second time a bracket came off, I would definitely insist the manufacturer REPLACE THE FRAME. The manufacturer can then take time to perform failure analysis to make better products. It will keep customers happy instead of alerting the world to inferior products on the internet. )
2014-06-11 5:33 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by g_shotts

My rationale for wanting to do this myself is....#1 It looks as easy as it gets. #2 I don't want to wait #3 It looks like a low consequence of failure repair. It's not a structural component, so if my homemade repair is fails, I'll just loose rear derailleur function until I get home.

Do you guys think this should be sent in because of safety / structural integrity reasons, or because it's something Scott should stand behind.

YES, get in touch with Scott and let them fix it for you. Your non-structural part is going to be attached to a VERY structural part…. the chain stay sees very high torsional loads, if you weaken that with your "homemade repair" you can take a very nasty spill. Definitely not worth it!

2014-09-26 8:04 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Thought I'd follow up on this for anyone else with the same issue.

I talked with the Scott Tech Services Department, and, after looking at some pictures, they saw no issues with me doing this repair myself. Their recommendation for carbon adhesives is 3M DP 460.

I sanded and cleaned both surfaces, epoxied both surfaces, popped in the rivet, and put a clamp on it all for 24 hours.

Since the repair, I put about 1500-miles on the bike and it still looks and feels pretty solid.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reattaching a cable end stop? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

components: high end old vs. low end new

Started by suahoi
Views: 1049 Posts: 3

2011-08-23 2:08 PM Aarondb4

Cables for DA bar end shifters???

Started by Donto
Views: 1694 Posts: 2

2010-05-15 7:40 PM pitt83

Help with zip ties, computer cable?

Started by stupidnickname
Views: 1056 Posts: 17

2006-04-28 9:38 PM ChipmunkHeart

Internally routed cables…

Started by CptnJackSparrow
Views: 466 Posts: 1

2005-10-15 1:55 PM CptnJackSparrow

Bike Maintenace Questions- Handlebar Tape and Cables

Started by mnewton
Views: 785 Posts: 4

2005-07-05 5:29 PM Jambo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Seated Row - Cable exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : June 25, 2010
author : Coach AJ
I have a four week gap between the end of my sprint program and the beginning of my Olympic plan. Is it ok to just keep adding the volume needed to begin the Olympic plan?
date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?
date : June 26, 2006
Seated Cable Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 25, 2006
Upright Cable Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 21, 2006
Tricep Pushdown-Cable strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.