General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need ot change my lower body workout. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-10 11:44 AM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Subject: I need ot change my lower body workout.
I am looking to change what I am doing, I mix up the order. I am looking to target the psoas and hamstrings, I feel that I have a large imbalance between my quads and hamstring.

Currently I do:
leg press
free weight lunges
leg curl
leg extension
calf raises

I know I should probably swap the leg press with a squat, but I don't think I can stabilize the load I do safely (680# 12 reps), I would guess that would translate to a ~400 lb squat, I have tried it on the smith machine and can't get enough natural movement and it feels awkward. I should work on the squat any suggestions on the load and methods to actually get benefit opposed to harm? I do upper and lower each 2x's a week, usually 4 sets, 12,8,8,6(goal) with 2,3 being more weight and the last set at max.

I also know I should be doing deadlifts, but am not confident in doing that safely as well, any pointers on how to do a safe deadlift would be great.

2014-06-10 7:50 PM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

Louisville, Ohio
Subject: RE: I need ot change my lower body workout.
If you are confident of the areas you'd like to target, I would recommend checking out www.exrx.net. IMO it is the best weight training site I've come across. It has a section with a body map you can click a muscle or muscle group and it will give you all of the exercises that work that area along with .gif images of proper form.
2014-06-10 8:02 PM
in reply to: jchite84

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Thanks, The site looks like it could be useful in tailoring my plan. I will also try going lower on the bar, to get those stabilizers firing.
2014-06-11 11:03 AM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

Personally, I'd recommend dropping the number of exercises per workout, up the weight, then add another set after your heavy 6 rep. set.

Set 5 - immediately after set 4 using the same weight as set 1 - go to failure.

2014-06-11 6:02 PM
in reply to: #5010133

User image

New user
GHR back raises and weighted hip raises with your back elevated on a bench are my favorites for hamstrings.

To learn how to squat properly I highly recommend a few sessions (or more) with a trained professional, but in the absence of that.. start light til you get the form down. Squat to a 16" box at first focusing on keeping your chest up, your knees out and your weight on your heels. I wouldn't recommend jumping right up to 400" til you know you're stable on your feet and aren't going to get laid out by the bar :-) Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need ot change my lower body workout. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Body Weight Cross Fit Workouts

Started by davealtmizzle
Views: 3990 Posts: 10

2013-11-26 10:48 PM So Fresh So Clean

what is a good no weight/weight room upper body workout

Started by BigDH
Views: 3520 Posts: 15

2012-11-08 2:52 PM Teejaay

Need trainer / help developing workout program

Started by smithmedic
Views: 1179 Posts: 3

2012-10-16 2:34 PM thepancakeman

Low weights/High Reps VS High weights/Low Reps

Started by 26.2 runner dude
Views: 7522 Posts: 24

2010-04-14 8:45 AM ScoopJackson

Upper-body workouts...

Started by fendermh1027
Views: 2392 Posts: 6

2008-03-11 9:17 PM MikeTheBear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
There is a serious, devoted athlete, committed to the task of triathlon. He is happy because his heart rate is low, his blood lactate is low and his chances in this year’s Kona lottery is high.

date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.
date : February 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I find this is occurring after almost every workout. The pattern is always the same: freezing 10 min after a workout and 2 hours to warm up again. I am not sick. My diet is healthy.

date : October 10, 2004
author : FIN16
comments : 1
The human body can endure extreme physical hardships but a trained, confident mind can endure much more.