Other Resources The Political Joe » Calif. Judge Rules Teacher Tenure Law Unconstitutional Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-10 4:29 PM

User image

Subject: Calif. Judge Rules Teacher Tenure Law Unconstitutional

2014-06-10 6:03 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Subject: RE: Calif. Judge Rules Teacher Tenure Law Unconstitutional

Interesting to see where this goes.   Judge Treu is a trial court judge and his ruling would have no precedential effect.  But it is a shot across the union's bow.

2014-06-11 5:34 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

i kind of wondering if it was going to go that way - my mom is a teacher (although in Australia) and she complains quite often about teachers who just suck, that the kids hate because they can't teach, but that schools can't/don't want to get rid of because of seniority/tenure
2014-06-11 6:37 PM
in reply to: austhokie

Orange County, California
I never understood tenure. Who the hell in the world is guaranteed a job for life after 2-3 years of service.
2014-06-12 11:47 AM
in reply to: markowma

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I got this from http://teachertenure.procon.org/#Background

"Prior to the introduction of teacher tenure, teachers were often fired for non-work related reasons. Teachers could be dismissed if a new political party took power or if a principal wanted to give jobs to his friends. Calls for special protections for teachers coincided with the women’s suffrage movement and labor struggles during the late 19th century. The National Education Association issued a report in 1885 advocating for public school teachers to receive tenure to protect against political favoritism and discrimination based on gender and race. In 1886, Massachusetts became the first state to pass a pre-college tenure law. [1] When nearly 10,000 teachers arrived in Chicago for the 1887 NEA conference, teacher tenure was one of the main discussion topics. In 1909, New Jersey passed the first comprehensive K-12 tenure law in the US. Proponents of the teacher tenure law in New Jersey argued that it would attract more qualified teachers and eliminate political favoritism, while opponents warned that tenure would make it more difficult to remove ineffective teachers."
2014-06-12 12:12 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Originally posted by chirunner134

I got this from http://teachertenure.procon.org/#Background

"Prior to the introduction of teacher tenure, teachers were often fired for non-work related reasons. Teachers could be dismissed if a new political party took power or if a principal wanted to give jobs to his friends. Calls for special protections for teachers coincided with the women’s suffrage movement and labor struggles during the late 19th century. The National Education Association issued a report in 1885 advocating for public school teachers to receive tenure to protect against political favoritism and discrimination based on gender and race. In 1886, Massachusetts became the first state to pass a pre-college tenure law. [1] When nearly 10,000 teachers arrived in Chicago for the 1887 NEA conference, teacher tenure was one of the main discussion topics. In 1909, New Jersey passed the first comprehensive K-12 tenure law in the US. Proponents of the teacher tenure law in New Jersey argued that it would attract more qualified teachers and eliminate political favoritism, while opponents warned that tenure would make it more difficult to remove ineffective teachers."

I can understand the need for tenure, but on the other hand tenure after 2-3 years seems a bit questionable...maybe 10-15, but 2-3 just seems unrealistic for a teacher to establish a pattern of behavior/teaching ability (only 2-3 school years) etc

2014-06-12 5:19 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by chirunner134 I got this from http://teachertenure.procon.org/#Background"Prior to the introduction of teacher tenure, teachers were often fired for non-work related reasons. Teachers could be dismissed if a new political party took power or if a principal wanted to give jobs to his friends. Calls for special protections for teachers coincided with the women’s suffrage movement and labor struggles during the late 19th century. The National Education Association issued a report in 1885 advocating for public school teachers to receive tenure to protect against political favoritism and discrimination based on gender and race. In 1886, Massachusetts became the first state to pass a pre-college tenure law. [1] When nearly 10,000 teachers arrived in Chicago for the 1887 NEA conference, teacher tenure was one of the main discussion topics. In 1909, New Jersey passed the first comprehensive K-12 tenure law in the US. Proponents of the teacher tenure law in New Jersey argued that it would attract more qualified teachers and eliminate political favoritism, while opponents warned that tenure would make it more difficult to remove ineffective teachers."

That is some interesting background.  I've always done the WTF about tenure in general but admittedly didn't know any of the history.  A good friend of mine is a tenured professor at the University of Nebraska and he always talks about having academic freedom and the ability to tackle controversial topics without any worries.  I actually agree with that and it makes sense.  Obviously we can argue about how long you must be there, but ok.

Now, when it comes to K-12 education I think the "academic freedom" argument kind of falls apart.  I don't think there's too many of us that want our teachers having academic freedom to go wander off the beating path because of where they may wander.  Can a tenured teacher start teaching the bible?  I mean, they can't be fired right?  (dumb example, but I think you get what I'm saying)

A lot of the origins based on what you posted chi seem to be pretty antiquated.  There are so many other laws and protections for teachers being fired base on race/religion/etc.. that tenure offers no additional protections there today as far as I'm concerned.  

On the surface, I do feel that a principle of a publicly funded K-12 schools should have the ability to fire a teacher if he/she isn't performing up to standards.  That's no different than any other job in the world.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Calif. Judge Rules Teacher Tenure Law Unconstitutional Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Question about Judges...

Started by jford2309
Views: 1460 Posts: 19

2014-06-01 9:30 PM Stuartap

Judge rules NSA phone collections likely unconstitutional

Started by JoshR
Views: 1159 Posts: 11

2013-12-30 12:55 PM JoshR

Judge rules infants name to be changed! Pages: 1 2

Started by jford2309
Views: 3150 Posts: 32

2013-08-29 11:05 AM Pector55

Medical Groups Oppose Gun-Law Change To Share Mental Health Records

Started by DanielG
Views: 1891 Posts: 11

2013-06-19 2:04 PM powerman

Domestic Violence and teachers Pages: 1 2

Started by BAMBAM66
Views: 3895 Posts: 49

2013-06-25 11:10 PM lakelandsledder
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 8, 2006
author : mscotthall
comments : 3
Often we face the dilemma of putting together a training plan for the school year that fits into our busy days. I thought I would share some ideas on scheduling your training.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : March 5, 2006
author : lv2teach
It’s frighteningly amazing how much fitness you lose in such a short amount of time, which makes no sense if you ask me. It should leave no quicker than it was achieved.

date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.
date : October 2, 2005
author : ChiRunning
In order to improve your running efficiency and enjoy that last leg of every race, there are three important “rules of the road” to follow.

date : July 4, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 3
Motivation can be hard to come by some days. Here are a few things I have learned to help stay focused.
date : September 5, 2004
author : USATriathlon
Position rule violations during triathlon racing.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you are going to do a triathlon, you need to know at least some of the basic rules that can keep you from getting hurt or hurting someone else.