General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pros/Cons of BT online coaching Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-10 5:13 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Pros/Cons of BT online coaching
After I complete this Saturday's Olympic tri I really need to focus my training for Age Group Nationals in August. I realize I'm not going to go there and blow the competition away but I want to head into it as well trained as possible. I want to compete to the best of *my* ability. I really need help with my swim. Now that I have daily access to a pool I really want to improve. I've used the BT training plans for years but would really like to step it up notch while I have the time to devote to it this summer. Any opinions on BT's online coaching feature ?

2015-01-23 7:51 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: RE: Pros/Cons of BT online coaching
Not sure if the lack of response is a good thing or not! Did you take a direction with the online coaching? I am starting to lean in the direction I need something but not sure what, and really somewhat limited in funds so some options are limited. $200 per month seems excessive to me and would put me in the dog house quickly.
2015-01-24 5:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I haven't used BT coaching, or in fact any tri coaching except for swimming maybe four weeks a year with a masters program coached by a triathlete and tri coach, but just a thought....Does the coaching include video analysis of your swim form? If your main reason for getting coaching is to be a better swimmer, and it doesn't include that, it seems kind of silly. With weaker swimmers, the more critical issue is usually form rather than exactly what workouts they are doing, It's hard (though possible to some extent) to work on form by yourself; but fairly simple to set up more challenging, structured workouts and do them without having to hire a coach. Even video analysis is generally not as useful as having a live coach on deck who can evaluate your form, give advice and demonstrations, and then give you feedback as you try to make changes. Without that feedback, one tends to slip back into bad habits, or think you've made changes or are doing something correctly when in fact you're not.

If it's just more high-powered, structured workouts you're after, then you can find a ton (with videos for drills, etc.) on websites like Sara McLarty's or Magnolia Masters, for free that are oriented toward triathletes and suited for all levels. There are also some coaches (you can find ads for them in tri magazines) who do stand-alone video analysis of swimmers for a one-time fee, either in person at their location or remotely. Depending on your budget, those might be other options to consider.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-01-24 5:45 PM
2015-01-24 6:18 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I have no experience with BT online coaching, but I'm currently doing swim lessons and I highly recommend that. I bought 5 lessons and after my first one i dropped 10-20 seconds off my 100. I went from 1:45 to 1:25-35. I can't sustain the 20's for long, but it's way better than before.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pros/Cons of BT online coaching Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

BT online coaching ???

Started by Rover24
Views: 353 Posts: 1

2012-01-22 9:38 AM Rover24

BT online coaching

Started by bzvbtc
Views: 1020 Posts: 8

2011-12-06 1:23 PM ratherbeswimming

BT Online Coaching-experience?

Started by slornow
Views: 700 Posts: 1

2011-11-09 9:37 AM slornow

BT coaching or Mark Allen online

Started by bzvbtc
Views: 3566 Posts: 13

2011-11-07 8:11 AM mikericci

BT online coaching

Started by drmcmullen
Views: 568 Posts: 2

2011-09-08 11:15 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 5
Being a pro triathlete is even more boring than you might have thought

date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.
date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.