General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power meters Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-11 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Power meters
Just curious, who here is training/racing with power? I use virtual power via trainer road but my next major tri purchase will likely be a power meter. I think I'm leaning towards either Stages or Garmin Vector. Anyone have experience/thoughts/opinions?

I know some don't like Stages because it only actually measures power on one side, but I've ready numerous reviews that state that concern is a bit overblown. DC Rainmakers reviews seem to be pretty compelling and Team Sky using Stages has to say something. Just curious what others think.

(BTW, I know this topic is brought up on BT and ST all the time...I'm just particularly interested in opinions of those on this forum).

Edited by dprocket 2014-06-11 7:54 AM

2014-06-11 8:02 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Subject: RE: Power meters
I have a quark Riken that I really like.
2014-06-11 9:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have been using a PowerTap since December.  Still just getting to understand the data it is giving me and have not yet started an actual training program with it.  So far, it keeps me honest while on the trainer and out on the roads.  I am finding I can push the wattage/speed in places without blowing up by keeping an eye on the watts in various conditions (slight hills, steep hills, flats, downhills, etc.).  I need to start working on true powermeter training programs.

2014-06-11 9:40 AM
in reply to: Jayhox

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Originally posted by Jayhox

I need to start working on true powermeter training programs.

Yeah your bike split is embarrassing....
2014-06-11 9:43 AM
in reply to: m.a.burghart

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
I'm really hoping to do the same. I train with virtual power, which I've found incredibly useful during intervals on the trainer, but I still want/need something to keep me honest outdoors and in races. I'm keeping my eye out for a stages as well, or possibly the power2max. Both are new, and ideally I'd prefer something more thoroughly used (quarq would be my choice), but I do like the ability to change wheel sets without worrying about the PM.
2014-06-11 11:44 AM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
I've had Quark for a few years now, good used S975s were under $1k back then and should be cheaper now as Quark prices have dropped with competition. You will want to become familiar with a good analysis software such as Golden Cheetah, Training Peaks, or other to get full value from the power meter. I don't have a power meter on my crappy old mountain bike and rides feel incomplete without that data. I've only had one real disappointment with the Quark (other than it always tells me I'm weak) and that was a failure to sync up during a race last year, my HR monitor also failed to link so I blame the Garmin, but I've always been a fan of paying attention to perceived exertion compared to what the PM tells me and rode spot on to what I planned. Other than that, I don't have much to add over what is regularly discussed on BT & ST.

2014-06-12 7:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, Kansas
I have a PT G3, never had a problem with it. Joe Friels "Training With Power" is a great book. Explains everything, power zones, how to use them in training, during a race, and provides workout guidance to make the best use of your power meter. Like others have said Training Peaks Premium or Cheata are super tools for analizing your data.
2014-09-03 9:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by m.a.burghart

I'm really hoping to do the same. I train with virtual power, which I've found incredibly useful during intervals on the trainer, but I still want/need something to keep me honest outdoors and in races. I'm keeping my eye out for a stages as well, or possibly the power2max. Both are new, and ideally I'd prefer something more thoroughly used (quarq would be my choice), but I do like the ability to change wheel sets without worrying about the PM.

Mark have you ever gotten on of these? The Power2Max meter has a promo going for their older units.
2014-09-03 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Not yet, looking into them this winter, along with a racing wheel set from China. I'm doing extensive research on both... The one thing I've heard mentioned on the older p2max meters is an issue with temperature. Apparently it really affects the accuracy. There is a firmware update to help correct it, but I don't necessarily want an 'estimation' via an algorithm. Still just watching...
2014-09-03 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Just looked, and yeah they are cheaper, but to Mike's earlier point, I'd rather have a Quarq Cinco for the same price (I'm not interested in LvsR power) on ebay. New Quarqs can be had for $750. Now, if the Power2Max with Rotor cranks is around $750, I'd really consider it.
2014-09-09 1:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas

2014-09-09 5:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Yea, I saw that earlier today. It sounds like the market is getting ready to really open up with lower priced meters coming in, and many of them look promising. I think I'm going to hold out a bit longer and see how things settle. Lots of new exciting gear coming out....920xt etc.

2014-09-10 10:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Ahh... 920XT? Sounds like you know someone at Garmin.

They did a bit of out sourcing their exercise physiology predictions at KU Med, and I got to help design and test the VO2max prediction algorithm. It's a freaking sweet watch. I was hoping they'd let me keep it. They did not...
2014-09-10 10:49 PM
in reply to: #5010566

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Yea I had my hands on it just for a few minutes a couple weeks ago. Looks pretty nice. Should be soon.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power meters Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Power Meter

Started by kuatb
Views: 751 Posts: 7

2014-03-21 9:20 PM atasic

KC 15k power pack

Started by dprocket
Views: 1147 Posts: 2

2013-09-20 1:33 PM m.a.burghart
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 24, 2011
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In part three, the coach answers questions on power meter workouts, threshold calculations and how strength training affects power.

date : May 5, 2011
In part two, you will learn several power meter workouts from race intensity, to aerobic and anaerobic workouts.
date : March 18, 2011
In part one, you will learn the fundamentals of power training and the benefits of training with a power meter.

date : April 19, 2009
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : September 4, 2008
Coach AJ reviews the Reynolds SDV 66 Racing Wheel and the PowerTap 2.4 SL Wireless Power Meter.
date : May 7, 2008
Discussion on training and racing with power meters, differences between power meters, Kona preparation, Ironman pacing and nutrition and Ironman swim seeding.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.