General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Some Truthful Opinions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-11 12:22 PM

Subject: Need Some Truthful Opinions
Hi there,

I'm brand new to triahtalons. This weekend I am suppose to race in my very first Try a Tri in Welland, ON. About 4 weeks ago my training came to a standstill as I battled what I thought was the flu (stiff joints and extreme exhaustion, low grade fever, etc) After numerous tests and xrays, I've been diagnosed with Lupus. I'm at the point where I feel almost normal again, but I have lost a lot of valuable training time.

While I think I'm okay to do the race if I pace myself, and go slow; my performance will be subpar. I'm quite worried I will be finishing almost 20-30 minutes behind the rest of the pack. So my question is, Should I do this race? ANd if so what should I be doing right now 3 days before the race, keeping in mind, , i haven't been on my bike in 15 days and haven't been in the pool for 3 weeks. Or do you think I should cut my losses find another try a tri and get ready for that one?

Honest opinions are appreciated.

2014-06-11 12:28 PM
in reply to: losingit17

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Need Some Truthful Opinions
There is always another race. If you don't feel comfortable competing, especially with the swim distance, then I'd say pass on it and get ready for the next one. If you're good with the distances but just worried you're going to be slow, well that's what a first race typically is, a slow one. There's a lot to learn from racing for future races (transitions, getting comfortable in OWS, how you feel off the bike, etc) besides just how fast you can go. Only you really know if you're ready to race.
2014-06-11 12:30 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

if you want to do it and think you are healthy enough to then do it.  it sounds like a beginners race for people to test the sport, so treat it as that.  over the next few days check over your equipment to make sure everything works and maybe get in some time on the bike and in the pool.  if you do decide to do it don't stress out, just go into the race looking to have fun and not worry about hitting any specific time.

2014-06-11 12:34 PM

User image

Exton, PA
If you feel you can safely complete the event, then go ahead a do it. There is no pack in a tri, people are spread all over the place.

As for training, you should probably get a little of everything in before the event, but don't push anything. Go slow and don't wear yourself down.

2014-06-11 12:53 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

You already paid for it, if you are healthy then go ahead and do it. Experience is always preferable, will help you in your next race. Don't worry about what anyone else is doing or what their pace is. Do your race and look at it as a learning experience.

2014-06-11 1:11 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

First, sorry to hear about your Lupus diagnosis.  My suggestion would be to discuss things with your doctor before making any decisions.  A lot of folks with Lupus lead very active lifestyles, but you might want to know more about what you're dealing with before pushing yourself too hard. 

Good luck to you.

Mark

2014-06-11 1:15 PM

User image

2nd on just do it for the experience.  If you are confident you can do the swim then go at it as a training event.  Then your next race you can try to hammer it.  If you're too competetive and you feel like you'll be wasting your time or hurt yourself then wait for another race.  Bear in mind there's a bit of a learning curve in the beginning so taking your first race a bit easy is not the worst thing in the world.

2014-06-11 1:31 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Rule 1:  Paid for it?  Check

Rule 2: Healthy enough for it?  Check - assuming your Dr. says so.

If Rule 1 and 2 are a yes then DO IT!

Regarding what to expect,  would go into this expecting to cross the finish line and to be able to call myself a "TRIATHLETE". 

Don't worry about others.  Run your own race, according to your own abilities.  And most importantly, have fun.

2014-06-11 2:43 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

You might come in first in the "athletes recently diagnosed with Lupus" division!  

Lupus isn't contagious, so your risk of infecting others is minimal.  

The exertion may slow your overall recovery, but it may still be worth doing the race.  Talk to your doctor and see what you can expect while you're exerting yourself and also in the days and weeks after the race.  

You can look up results from previous years and compare what you think you can do with what others did.  You may find you aren't even the "slowest."

Assuming you race, don't worry what others think or say...most of them won't know what you're experiencing.  

2014-06-11 2:52 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I totally agree!  If you're healthy enough to complete the race, I think this is the perfect opportunity.   Write a race report after so we can hear how you did!

2014-06-11 11:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
My wife was diagnosed with Lupus several years ago. She says go for it. If it's slower than you want then so what. The experience of doing the race might just surprise you.

Good luck.

2014-06-12 12:34 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I too would say do it. I was in a similar position before my 1st race 3 weeks or so ago. Was suffering from anemia, which is not as serious as lupus but makes it difficult to breath. So I treated this first race like a learning experience (which is what a 1st race is anyway), didn't put myself under pressure or pushed too hard (I even walked half of the run.) I learnt a bunch of useful things about transitions and stuff. Glad I did it.
2014-06-12 12:50 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

Who's the real loser, the guy that participates and comes last or the guy who doesn't participate because he was afraid of coming last?
2014-06-12 6:30 AM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

It depends on a few other pieces of information. Are you in any kind of shape? Is there a strong reason for wanting to participate in Welland? Virtually all Ontario races have a Try a tri and there's one every weekend. Have you paid already? Do you care if you do well or do you just want to finish?
2014-06-12 10:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I agree with the more info needed. (1) from a web search it looks like the group doing this TRI is MultiSport Canada Tri (remember Canada Dry Ginger Ale? sorry.) and they have tons of races. Would they let you change your registration? (2) how do you feel? seems your biggest concern is coming in last instead of completion - if you are safe to do it - esp the swim - why not? (3) this is a huge opportunity! I love doing new courses and dont worry about getting a slow time because I know I'll be better able to crush it next time!

This will be your first post diagnosis race. Similar to post injury. Similar to getting older. You may have to set a new set of "normals". So why not start off with this (under-trained) opportunity?

You mentioned that you are "brand new" to tri. Im assuming that you will be doing the SPRINT then. I am sure there will be many under-trained in that race as well.

I am sorry for your diagnosis, but it is also an opportunity. With a correct diagnosis, you can correctly treat. Best Wishes. Bottom Line, don't drown.

Edited by BF JEFF 2014-06-12 10:43 AM
2014-06-12 12:45 PM

Thank-you all for the insight and votes of confidence. I spoke to my doctor and he is ok with me doing this as long as I take all the necessary precautions.
I will admit I'm still quite nervous especially with the 20 minute cut off on the swim; I want to finish the entire race and not let some stupid time limit crush my confidence.

My friend sent this to me the other day:

DLF>DNF>>DNS

I'm going to use that as my Mantra for the day and just hope everyone isn't packed up and gone home by the time I cross the finish line.

2014-06-12 12:50 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Good luck!  I'm sure you'll do fine.  Just remember to relax, don't go out too fast on the swim, and most important, have fun!

Mark

2014-06-12 2:56 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by losingit17

Thank-you all for the insight and votes of confidence. I spoke to my doctor and he is ok with me doing this as long as I take all the necessary precautions.
I will admit I'm still quite nervous especially with the 20 minute cut off on the swim; I want to finish the entire race and not let some stupid time limit crush my confidence.

My friend sent this to me the other day:

DLF>DNF>>DNS

I'm going to use that as my Mantra for the day and just hope everyone isn't packed up and gone home by the time I cross the finish line.

There is no pack in triathlon. If you finish behind the front runners...... welcome to the world that 95% of triathletes live in. It is still way fun no matter where you finish.

Everyone will not be packed up and gone home when you are finishing. If you are finishing near the end you will likely get some of the loudest cheers of the day. The winners get some loud cheering because they win it but there aren't as many people around. The last few people get the loudest cheers because triathletes are generally pretty good people, are generally very inclusive and will most likely be very happy for you, and there will be a lot of people standing around to cheer. If your announcer is on his/her game they will be encouraging the crowd to make some noise for the final few finishers.

Have a great time.
2014-06-14 1:30 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

I DID IT!!!

So thankful, that I took all of your advice and saw it through. After flailing and thrashing my way through the swim the bike part was actually quite relaxing.The run was more of a walk/jog but the feeling of crossing the finish with my kids there was better than anything I could have hoped for.

Thanks again for all the votes of confidence!
2014-06-14 8:55 PM

Congrats!!!
2014-06-14 10:33 PM
in reply to: #5010790

Veteran
dead fucking last is better than did not start (dfl ). if your only concern is time, why? you are doing this for you, not what others think of you being slow.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Some Truthful Opinions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need Opinions on a used P2K

Started by hjmiii
Views: 910 Posts: 5

2005-01-13 4:33 PM Machiavelo

Sprint or Oly, need opinions

Started by ASA22
Views: 653 Posts: 8

2004-11-08 1:24 PM Rowdy

Training opinion needed

Started by joscon
Views: 478 Posts: 3

2004-08-12 9:25 AM CJWonder

Need opinion on a bike

Started by joscon
Views: 861 Posts: 6

2004-07-03 7:03 AM joscon

I need an opinion to race or not...

Started by royj
Views: 690 Posts: 5

2004-06-20 12:35 PM TriBruin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 22, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Confused about how much protein you need, when you need it, and the best kinds of protein? The following article answers some of the questions active people commonly ask about protein.

date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : February 22, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on caloric needs for weightloss and workouts plus whole wheat breads.

date : November 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Sleep is one of your answers to keep the doctor away. But how much is enough sleep? We'll discuss the benefits of getting a proper amount of sleep and the risks of not getting enough.
date : March 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on wide feet, Ironman nutrition and it's importance, the use of fins in swimming, transition mistakes, special needs bags and running sockless.

date : January 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 3
When I switch one wheelset for another, the rear derailleur needs to be adjusted because the rear wheel on each holds the cassette in a different position. Where do I start?
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?