Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-06-20 2:15 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: RE: Harassment

This is an interesting thread.  Reading it from start to finish, maybe I'm taking the "i've got a race this weekend so scr ew the rest of the workday" philosophy a little too far, but all I can say is wow.

Some of the situations that the ladies have described are things I would not take lightly.  The slow downs and follows, the staring way too longs, the turning around and followings, would not be ignored.

Even as a guy, I've gotten harrassed.  Sometimes its the Wa Hoo's from a car full of girls which happened more in my college track days then my late 30s banker days.  Sometimes its the "get off the road (insert derogatory comment)" comments that I never respond to.  But in any case, I just don't respond. 

Just be safe out there ladies.

Oh, and the guy that says every week someone in DC gets grabbed while running..... WTF? 

2014-06-20 6:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: RE: Harassment
I can’t believe some of the zigs this thread took. I don’t think there is a woman on this board who would listen to the bad advice or dumb things said. Cat calls, wolf whistles, honks, and “Hey Baby” – probably just stupid farts. Annoying (or now at my age - flattering) but they don’t pose a danger usually. But we should all be aware of situations where things can go wrong. I’m not saying to be scared but definitely be aware of things.

There have been great answers - run with groups, safe neighborhoods, vary the time, look anyone suspicious dead in the eye to make them know you are aware of them. I also say tho that everyone should trust their gut. If things don't feel right, change it.

As a small woman from a hick town, I learned at an early age to be aware of potentially dangerous situations and use my head to avoid them. But then how was I supposed to know a perv would hide and watch me swimming in an apt pool one evening? I avoided rape/beating/etc by fighting back, looking the scum in the eye, being loud, and running like hell. But I can’t live in fear – but I can avoid situations and that don’t feel right. So when running, I notice the dog that has escaped and running towards me. I notice the car that is riding around the $2 million house at 5:30 am and keeps doing u-turns. I notice the car that is looking to the left for a right turn and will run over me if I continue. I notice the voices coming from the woods at 5am. I notice and make adjustments. I may be overcautious sometimes but really, do I care?

As for the poster who found the guy standing by your car two hours after the race, email the RD. This guy may be harmless ..... but I don’t think so. An email can either get to root of the situation if innocent or put others on guard. We have a leach here in our running community that is harmless when around people that won't take his bull. All of us band together to help naïve people avoid him. I'll tolerate him most times but when he tells me to grab water from his house - oh hell NO. He hates it when he is trying to hit on a youngster and I step in and become either his or the youngster's best friend. He hates it.....but he knows that he is being watched.

To the original poster, I think your concern for your sister is nice. I think that she has probably already developed that sense that women need to protect themselves from most weirdos. She probably has a better handle on how to handle weird situations than you think. But talk to her about various situations and see if she has thought of how to handle.

Edited by Pink Socks 2014-06-20 6:15 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Harassment Rss Feed  

of 4