General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Very Lopsided Build Heading Into Ironman Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-12 12:26 PM

User image

Philadelphia
Subject: Very Lopsided Build Heading Into Ironman Training
I've searched the forum and was having trouble finding answers to my issue. Essentially, I would like to sign up for an IM that is three months away. I have not done any biking or swimming, as I spent the past four months training for a 100 mile adventure run which took about 24 hours to complete.

In any event, this is now over and I would like to switch the focus to triathlons. I finished a HIM last year (0:35/4:00/2:00) and loved it. I'm hoping I can concentrate on swimming (which I enjoy) and biking (my weak spot) over the next three months, while maintaining my running fitness, in order to complete the IM. However, I know I have a lot of catching up to do and most of the IM training plans I've seen are 20-30 weeks long, and I have only 12 before the IM.

I'd love to hear what you all think. If it's a bad idea, maybe I'll hold off untl next year, but if you think it's doable then maybe I'll go for it now. Thanks again for reading.

2014-06-12 1:51 PM
in reply to: niceguy542006

User image

Subject: RE: Very Lopsided Build Heading Into Ironman Training

First question...why pick an IM 3 months from now instead of say...9-15 months from now?  Is there something special about this year and this race where you won't get the same opportunity ever again?  If you enjoyed doing the HIM, why not focus on that again for the time being?

Anyway...I know people always have different motivations (nothing wrong with that)...so lets just assume that this is the race you really want to do.

It seems like your run fitness is very strong, and judging by your HIM swim time, you're an above average swimmer.  I don't foresee any major obstacles in building up to the IM distance within 3 months for those disciplines.

Which brings us to biking.  4 hours is fairly BOP for a HIM bike unless it's a brutal course like Savageman.  If the IM you are considering has a similar bike course as your HIM (but twice as long), then you could be looking at 8.5-9 hour bike unless you really improve your bike fitness.  If you assume a 1.5 hour swim including T1, that will put you right up against the 5:30 bike cutoff.

3 months is quite a bit of time.  It seems like you're a good athlete, so you would probably be a good candidate for someone who could see rapid gains if you put in the work.  Picking a flatter or less windy bike course would probably help as well but I think it would be very possible for you to finish within the cutoff.  I'm not sure if that lines up with your expectations or goals.

If it were me, I would wait until my bike fitness was in better order.  If you're a really strong runner, you want to be able to utilize that.  If you suffer on the bike, your run fitness somewhat goes to waste as you'll likely end up walking a lot regardless.  I'd also like to enjoy the journey of training for a big event like an IM rather than feeling like I'm cramming a bunch of training in.  It's not all about race day...for me at least.

Good luck.

2014-06-12 2:52 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Philadelphia
Thank you Jason, I appreciate it. Basically, there are two reasons why I am picking this particular IM race. The first is because it's an ideal course (flat) within driving distance. The second is that there are some things happening in about five months time that will severely limit training time for the forseeable future (the next 1-2 years), so I am feeling like it is now or never. Or rather, it's now or wait until 2017.

I've been lucky to have finished lots of marathons and ultras (five this year so far), and I really enjoy swimming. But, the bike is a big concern. That 4 hour HIM time was on a flat course. Another twist is that I don't plan on gettig a tri bike, and am using a newer road bike that does not have aero bars, and I am planning on giving the IM a go on the bike as is. I realize I'm not doing myself any favors here, but 3 months might not be enough time to get acclimated to a 112 ride in aero. I've completed two century rides on this bike in the past year, but they took fairly long. One was in 8 hours and one in about 7 hours, but the latter involved riding with a group that I could draft in. I know I can't draft in a triathlon, so yes, I am assuming at least an 8.5 hour bike ride which makes hitting that cutoff critical.

In any event, thank you for your feedback. It's not an optimal training scenario, but I feel like this is my last chance at it for a while.

2014-06-12 2:56 PM

User image

Originally posted by niceguy542006

Thank you Jason, I appreciate it. Basically, there are two reasons why I am picking this particular IM race. The first is because it's an ideal course (flat) within driving distance. The second is that there are some things happening in about five months time that will severely limit training time for the forseeable future (the next 1-2 years), so I am feeling like it is now or never. Or rather, it's now or wait until 2017.

I've been lucky to have finished lots of marathons and ultras (five this year so far), and I really enjoy swimming. But, the bike is a big concern. That 4 hour HIM time was on a flat course. Another twist is that I don't plan on gettig a tri bike, and am using a newer road bike that does not have aero bars, and I am planning on giving the IM a go on the bike as is. I realize I'm not doing myself any favors here, but 3 months might not be enough time to get acclimated to a 112 ride in aero. I've completed two century rides on this bike in the past year, but they took fairly long. One was in 8 hours and one in about 7 hours, but the latter involved riding with a group that I could draft in. I know I can't draft in a triathlon, so yes, I am assuming at least an 8.5 hour bike ride which makes hitting that cutoff critical.

In any event, thank you for your feedback. It's not an optimal training scenario, but I feel like this is my last chance at it for a while.

i'm guessing you are looking at IM Maryland?

If you REALLY want to do it, you need to get on the bike and start riding - 3-4 times a week, longer rides on the weekends - my typical training is at least 3 rides a week (2 during the week about 1-1.5 hours in duration) and then longer on the weekend (right now hitting 70-80 miles)
2014-06-12 2:59 PM

Master
Northern IL

Jason already said a lot. Another thing is knowing when you have to register by, or other cut-off/important dates like that. Can you see how well your training picks up before having to make such a decision?

2014-06-12 3:22 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Champion
MA

You are clearly fit active person. You need to ride a lot....like 4-5x a week not just 3x a week.

You need to focus on the bike in training...you will need to dial back your running to have enough quality time to train on the bike.

You will also need to train smart on the bike. You have done a HIM and some century rides so you have done bike training. How did you train for the HIM and the century? I would suggest you need to alter that training to be more bike focus and goal to make solid gains.

With your background, fitness level, I suspect with solid smart training on the bike you can make significant gains in the bike in 3 months.

I'm not a fan of pushing to do an IM to soon but with your fitness I think you could do it. If money allows you may hire a good coach to help you build smartly given your uneven skill set in tris. Many good coaches are $150/month so in the scheme of things not that much.

The new IM Maryland course is old course I have done. Bike is the flattest course I've ever done. There can be quite a bit of wind on the course since it is flat and mostly wide open. It is a great course. There can be sea nettles that sting on the swim. The two times I've done the race even with a full wetsuit I have been stung both races.

2014-06-12 3:27 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

How did you like cycle training for the HIM?  No way around spending a lot of time in the saddle if you're going to finish an Ironman.  How easily did you build up to the 56 miles?  Are you injury prone?  

If you think you can train for a 100+ mile ride and stay healthy, you can probably get through the IM.  No issues with riding a road bike (lots of people ride road bikes for centuries and long-distance cycle touring).  

I agree that an 8+ hour bike split may have you bumping up against the bike cutoff.  

2014-06-12 3:30 PM

User image

Miami
I completed my first IM a few weeks ago and I distributed my training as 20% swimming, 30% running, 50% biking (aprox. I think it was a little less swimming and a little more running).

Biking is my strongest sport and I still dedicated most of my time to it. Based on your previous bike times, if I were you, I will put a lot of time on the saddle not only to make sure that you make the cut off, but also because a good bike fitness will help your run a lot.
2014-06-12 3:30 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

I'd say go for it. You're not the typical person who posts a "Can I do an IM in a relatively short time?" question. If you're doing ultras and marathons, you've got a very good fitness base. Just hammer the bike  for the next few months.

And the road bike with no bars won't be a problem. You actually see a good number of folks doing that.

2014-06-12 3:45 PM

User image

Originally posted by niceguy542006 The second is that there are some things happening in about five months time that will severely limit training time for the forseeable future (the next 1-2 years), so I am feeling like it is now or never. Or rather, it's now or wait until 2017

IM isn't going anywhere between now and 2017.  

2014-06-12 3:55 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

In the sandwich of triathlon, the bike is the filling.  You have two slices of bread.

Hit the bike hard for the next 6 weeks.  Get in at least 2 x 100 mile rides.  With your overall fitness, you will do fine, and have plenty of room left for a PR on your 2nd IM.

2014-06-13 12:34 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

Mate personally unless you can sort out your bike leg, I wouldn't bother with the IM. A recent 70.3 I did, a time of 4 hours would put you 3rd last out of 2000 people for the bike leg and that includes women in their 60s and 70s. You could end up on the bike for 8/9 hours during the IM. If that's really what you want to do, go crazy, but personally I'd skip it, train properly for it with the right gear (i.e a tri bike). If you insist on doing it, at least get some aero bars and a bike fit. Good luck.
2014-06-13 4:20 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by niceguy542006

I've searched the forum and was having trouble finding answers to my issue. Essentially, I would like to sign up for an IM that is three months away. I have not done any biking or swimming, as I spent the past four months training for a 100 mile adventure run which took about 24 hours to complete.

In any event, this is now over and I would like to switch the focus to triathlons. I finished a HIM last year (0:35/4:00/2:00) and loved it. I'm hoping I can concentrate on swimming (which I enjoy) and biking (my weak spot) over the next three months, while maintaining my running fitness, in order to complete the IM. However, I know I have a lot of catching up to do and most of the IM training plans I've seen are 20-30 weeks long, and I have only 12 before the IM.

I'd love to hear what you all think. If it's a bad idea, maybe I'll hold off untl next year, but if you think it's doable then maybe I'll go for it now. Thanks again for reading.

http://mos.triradar.com/Training_Plans/12_Week_Ironman_Programme.pd...
2014-06-13 7:33 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Philadelphia
Hey I just wanted to thank you all for your responses and insight, it's much appreciated. And yes, you all have reinforced that I should be hitting the bike often over the next three months, so I will be focusing on that immediately. I will look for a good plan (thank you for sending the 12 week program link) and will plan on 4x per week on the bike. There are two nearby centuries coming up in August and early September that will be well timed for this training.

Also, I have to note what great respect I have for triathletes. Running a 100+ mile race was probably the hardest racing thing I've ever done. But, the training was easy - you just run 3-4x per week, and make sure you get in a long run of 24-34 miles every week. However, training for a half ironman was easily the hardest that I've ever had to train, by far. Trying to improve in three different disciplines, all while staying healthy over three months of training, and coming up with a nutrition plan, race day logistics, and finding time to do it all while keeping work and family in balance was extremely difficult. So it's really impressive for those of you who are able to do this on a daily basis, year in and year out.

Thanks again and good luck to you all.

2014-06-13 7:40 AM

User image

Exton, PA
You are in the Philly area, there are a ton of bike clubs/rides. Go find a group that's a little better than you and start riding with them. West Chester cycling club has group rides all the time from low level all the way to Cat 1 riders. Anyone can find an appropriate group there to ride with, and you will improve when riding in a group above your ability.

Looks like your swim is already pretty good, don't spend too much time on that. Concentrate on the bike!
2014-06-13 4:35 PM

I just can't see how you'll develop enough bike fitness in 12 weeks. It would be one thing if you said you did a HIM split of 2:30, but 4:00 suggests there isn't any base to build on. Bike fitness takes months, years to develop. That run fitness does you no good if you get to the run wrecked by the bike. IMO, plan on racing one in 2017 and enjoy the journey building to it over the next three years.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Very Lopsided Build Heading Into Ironman Training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Building a bike & Whats your dream build?

Started by odpaul7
Views: 3615 Posts: 19

2013-07-19 9:18 PM andy515

IRONMAN FL- Heads up!! PSA

Started by taylorz13
Views: 902 Posts: 6

2012-09-19 11:00 AM Socks

Lopsided training schedules

Started by JoeP138
Views: 660 Posts: 5

2010-07-23 2:57 AM daisymouse

Pace building or endurance building?

Started by CBarnes
Views: 1004 Posts: 9

2007-06-08 9:16 AM chirunner134

diet with base building for ironman

Started by Reg
Views: 553 Posts: 2

2005-03-09 11:07 AM textridave
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2012
author : TINKARRA
comments : 0
Most of the races are flat here, but I live in the area where I could do hilly rides with 1500-2000m of climbing. Is there much benefit with that if I am racing flat?

date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
date : October 22, 2008
author : Curt Chesney
What training do you do during your off season? Any advice on what to aim for? Should I focus on building a better base?

date : April 2, 2006
author : Manny
Training tips and lessons to keeping your head in the game.
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Michael
comments : 7
I have made great strides over the last few years to be a better swimmer, but this was really screwing with my head.
date : May 30, 2005
author : tmwelshy
comments : 6
I’m only slightly thick in the head, but there is a gremlin-ish energy in the air as I prepare for my run. It occurs to me that this is not gonna be a comfortable 8 miles. This is gonna hurt.

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Metatarsalgia simply means “painful metatarsal” without defining the cause of the pain. Metatarsalgia most commonly causes pain at the second metatarsal head.