General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Little Debbie and IM ChooChoo Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-06-12 2:00 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Little Debbie and IM ChooChoo

Seriously, is this the image we should be portraying—a crap, processed, dessert food as a headline sponsor for one of the premier fitness/endurance events out there? What's next, NAMBLA sponsoring the kids' fun run? 

Pathetic. 

Edited by thebigb 2014-06-12 2:01 PM

2014-06-12 2:34 PM
in reply to: thebigb

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Little Debbie and IM ChooChoo

Marlon Brando passed like 10 years ago, so maybe you should pick another look alike club for your example.

2014-06-12 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by thebigb

Seriously, is this the image we should be portraying—a crap, processed, dessert food as a headline sponsor for one of the premier fitness/endurance events out there? What's next, NAMBLA sponsoring the kids' fun run? 

Pathetic. 

$$$$$$$$$$$
2014-06-12 2:38 PM
in reply to: #5011485

New user
I don't see it as a big deal
Bud Light used to sponsor Ironman
and a lot of other races around the country.
Budweiser is not so good for you in large quantities.
Hope they pass out nutty bars on the run.

2014-06-12 2:52 PM
in reply to: cedar creek

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Taco Bell and Pizza Hut are sponsors of my local marathon. Logos on each mile marker

2014-06-12 2:53 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Pathetic. 

McDonald's is one of the largest sponsors of the Olympics.

2014-06-12 2:57 PM
in reply to: mehaner

Would be awesome of there are Swiss rolls at finish line!
2014-06-12 2:59 PM
in reply to: abbattoir

User image

Originally posted by abbattoir

Would be awesome of there are Swiss rolls at finish line!

I have a serious craving for some Little Debbie goodies right now...hmmm
2014-06-12 3:09 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Franklin, TN

Oatmeal cream pies...yum.

2014-06-12 3:45 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

lots of people would argue that doing a race that takes 10 - 17 hours isn't exactly healthy....

2014-06-12 5:45 PM

New user

Pathetic. 

Nothing wrong with an occasional Oatmeal Creme Pie, or the manufacturer sponsoring an athletic event. It's not like it's a tobacco company sponsoring tennis.

Oatmeal Creme Pie
Calories: 170
Fat: 7
Carbs: 26
Sugar: 14
Protein: 1

Add in some beef jerky and you've got yourself a Clif Bar.

Clif Bar
Calories: 240
Fat: 6
Carbs: 43
Sugar: 22
Protein: 10

Admittedly the Clif bar is bigger.

2014-06-12 6:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by bufordt 

Nothing wrong with an occasional Oatmeal Creme Pie, or the manufacturer sponsoring an athletic event. It's not like it's a tobacco company sponsoring tennis.

Or AMGEN (a biotechnology company who's major product is EPO) being the title sponsor of the Tour of California.

FTR, I have no problem with AMGEN sponsoring a major bike race.  It's about advertising and marketing.  AMGEN is a California based company that helps people who need their drugs.  People need to lighten up a bit and stop getting so put off by every little thing.

Edited by Jason N 2014-06-12 6:04 PM
2014-06-12 6:37 PM
in reply to: bufordt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by bufordt

Pathetic. 

Oatmeal Creme Pie
Calories: 170
Fat: 7
Carbs: 26
Sugar: 14
Protein: 1

Add in some beef jerky and you've got yourself a Clif Bar.

Clif Bar
Calories: 240
Fat: 6
Carbs: 43
Sugar: 22
Protein: 10

Admittedly the Clif bar is bigger.

You have to look at the ingredient list in addition to macros (I'm not saying Clif bars are more healthful). IMO, Little Debbie or McDonalds or Marlboro….all the same thing. Crap.
2014-06-12 8:44 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Pro
Burbs

One of the sponsors for IMCOZ in 2009 was BIMBO, the largest Mexican owned baking company.

It did look kind of funny on my bib

2014-06-13 6:25 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

In contrast with the healthiness of Ironman Perform?

I participate only in races where the event, organizers, sponsors and locale are vetted as ethically sound, organically grown, vegan, cruelty-free, LGBT friendly, environmentally thoughtful and race/age/ethnicity/gender-neutral.  Out of the thousands of triathlons in the country, I found one super-sprint 1200 miles away that matches my stringent standards.  It costs $475.

I am at peace because I race in the right race (on my $8000 carbon bike, built by teen Chinese workers making about $1/hour, and flying to the remote locale using planes and automobiles to pump tons of CO2 into the atmosphere as I litter the countryside with non-degradable plastic bottles from my sugar water, CO2 cartridges and gel wrappers, all while I stare wantonly at the chiseled bodies of the female racers with unchecked thoughts.  And man, my 32 ounce steak and donut that I ate for a celebration dinner tasted really good washed down with a cold beer made by Mexican prisoners).

Seriously, the Little Debbie association at IMCHOO only makes it more attractive to me.

Edited by pga_mike 2014-06-13 6:27 AM
2014-06-13 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Seriously, is this the image we should be portraying—a crap, processed, dessert food as a headline sponsor for one of the premier fitness/endurance events out there? What's next, NAMBLA sponsoring the kids' fun run? Pathetic.

Before you know it Anheuser-Busch will be sponsoring an entire triathlon series.
Oh wait. But I have no problem with it. More money into the sport with a sponsor that has reaches beyond triathlon's normal customer base.

Edited by Barkeep 2014-06-13 8:28 AM

(index.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
index.jpg (11KB - 4 downloads)

2014-06-13 10:24 AM
in reply to: cedar creek

Veteran
Originally posted by cedar creek

I don't see it as a big deal
Bud Light used to sponsor Ironman
and a lot of other races around the country.
Budweiser is not so good for you in large quantities.
Hope they pass out nutty bars on the run.

agree. big deal if they have Little Debbie as a sponsor. all the nutrition bars aren't particularly great for you and everyone indulges in chocolate now and then. it's a great reward for the training. you workout so you can indulge - and I too want nutty bars on the run. that's would be sooooo good!
2014-06-13 10:25 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

Veteran
Originally posted by pga_mike

I participate only in races where the event, organizers, sponsors and locale are vetted as ethically sound, organically grown, vegan, cruelty-free, LGBT friendly, environmentally thoughtful and race/age/ethnicity/gender-neutral.  Out of the thousands of triathlons in the country, I found one super-sprint 1200 miles away that matches my stringent standards.  It costs $475.

I am at peace because I race in the right race (on my $8000 carbon bike, built by teen Chinese workers making about $1/hour, and flying to the remote locale using planes and automobiles to pump tons of CO2 into the atmosphere as I litter the countryside with non-degradable plastic bottles from my sugar water, CO2 cartridges and gel wrappers, all while I stare wantonly at the chiseled bodies of the female racers with unchecked thoughts.  And man, my 32 ounce steak and donut that I ate for a celebration dinner tasted really good washed down with a cold beer made by Mexican prisoners).

Seriously, the Little Debbie association at IMCHOO only makes it more attractive to me.

LOVE THIS!
2014-06-13 10:37 AM
in reply to: sheesleeva

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by sheesleeva
Originally posted by cedar creek I don't see it as a big deal Bud Light used to sponsor Ironman and a lot of other races around the country. Budweiser is not so good for you in large quantities. Hope they pass out nutty bars on the run.
agree. big deal if they have Little Debbie as a sponsor. all the nutrition bars aren't particularly great for you and everyone indulges in chocolate now and then. it's a great reward for the training. you workout so you can indulge - and I too want nutty bars on the run. that's would be sooooo good!

I use their Oatmeal Cream Pies as training food a lot.

2014-06-13 10:55 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

Originally posted by brigby1

I use their Oatmeal Cream Pies as training food a lot.

I devoured some oatmeal cream pies during my ironman training. 

2014-06-13 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California

nevermind......

Edited by jbjboc 2014-06-13 10:58 AM

2014-06-13 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

...Slow clap...

2014-06-13 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

So those are your GU wrappers and empty CO2 cartridges I always pick up. Go figure. 

Hilarious that nobody has issue with this but will jump all over Challenge for putting a race in Dubai with so many "human rights issues". Might as well have the NRA sponsoring gun free school zones. 

2014-06-13 7:26 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I love some zebra cakes!
2014-06-13 7:30 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
When Guinness beer decides to be a sponsor of a race I will be there!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Little Debbie and IM ChooChoo Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Very interested in Triathlon - Care less about IM Pages: 1 2

Started by badmo77a
Views: 5215 Posts: 45

2013-09-23 4:05 PM ItriUtriWEtri

Tough decision - IM in less than 10weeks Pages: 1 2

Started by jobaxas
Views: 4399 Posts: 45

2013-01-23 4:01 PM rrrunner

First IM - IM Mont Tremblant or IM Florida?

Started by firemedic001918
Views: 2552 Posts: 11

2014-07-28 10:47 AM KSH

Less light in AM and training for IM

Started by MRDAVIDALEXANDER
Views: 1437 Posts: 18

2011-07-31 9:03 AM Patrick E

Swimming Question: Less Strokes = Less Energy and Less Speed? Pages: 1 2

Started by jeffy_101
Views: 3942 Posts: 29

2009-07-29 12:59 PM sand101
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : May 11, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?
date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.