Other Resources The Political Joe » Pistol Safe Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-12 4:00 PM

User image

, Oregon
Subject: Pistol Safe
So I am looking for pistol safe. Mainly someplace to put 3 handguns have quick access and keep kids out. I have looked at a lot of them and realize that no small safe is going to keep a determined from getting into it. My search has lead me to this a Fort Knox Pistol Box. This will be in the bedroom so I can have fairly quick access but my kids will not. I have a small 380, A Makarav, and a Springfield xd subcompact. Looks like they will fit. So those of you who have some experience with safes I would love to hear your opinions. Here is a link to what I am thinking of getting.

http://www.ftknox.com/product/original-pistol-box/

2014-06-12 4:38 PM
in reply to: idahocraig

User image

Subject: RE: Pistol Safe
http://www.opticsplanet.com/gunvault-multi-vault-handgun-safe.html?...

GunVault Multi-Vault Handgun Safe GV2000C-STD w/ Free Shipping and Handling

You might want to think twice about something you have to count buttons and whatnot with no lights on. This one guides your fingers to the buttons.

It's also half as much and more than a few buddies have this particular model and I've only heard good things.
2014-06-12 6:14 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

+1 on the gunvault.  They're a good quality manufacturer and they have a lot of different size options.

I have a pistol/shotgun combo in my bedside corner safe that has a digital quick release combo on the top in the event of needing quick access.  This is the one I use by sentry:  http://www.digitalbuyer.com/sentry-hdc11e-home-defense-center-electronic-keypad.html?fee=5&fep=91170&gclid=CjgKEAjwn-WcBRD61NHM-uqDrm4SJADrP4tPzTZPscj3BqStSvQLRyVQOSgpKQjuNZM2eGUEUWiT-_D_BwE

2014-06-12 7:36 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

+1 on the gunvault.  They're a good quality manufacturer and they have a lot of different size options.

I have a pistol/shotgun combo in my bedside corner safe that has a digital quick release combo on the top in the event of needing quick access.  This is the one I use by sentry:  http://www.digitalbuyer.com/sentry-hdc11e-home-defense-center-electronic-keypad.html?fee=5&fep=91170&gclid=CjgKEAjwn-WcBRD61NHM-uqDrm4SJADrP4tPzTZPscj3BqStSvQLRyVQOSgpKQjuNZM2eGUEUWiT-_D_BwE

You could still be taken out by a drone strike.

2014-06-13 12:00 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

, Oregon
Originally posted by DanielG

http://www.opticsplanet.com/gunvault-multi-vault-handgun-safe.html?...

GunVault Multi-Vault Handgun Safe GV2000C-STD w/ Free Shipping and Handling

You might want to think twice about something you have to count buttons and whatnot with no lights on. This one guides your fingers to the buttons.

It's also half as much and more than a few buddies have this particular model and I've only heard good things.

That was what I was originally looking at. I got scared off a bit by some reviews saying that at times the lock does not open especially if the batteries get low. Has this been an issue with anyone you know of or am I just over thinking it? I like the set up of the gunvault better, but I like the idea of not depending on batteries like the fort knox.
2014-06-13 7:24 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by idahocraig
Originally posted by DanielG http://www.opticsplanet.com/gunvault-multi-vault-handgun-safe.html?... GunVault Multi-Vault Handgun Safe GV2000C-STD w/ Free Shipping and Handling You might want to think twice about something you have to count buttons and whatnot with no lights on. This one guides your fingers to the buttons. It's also half as much and more than a few buddies have this particular model and I've only heard good things.
That was what I was originally looking at. I got scared off a bit by some reviews saying that at times the lock does not open especially if the batteries get low. Has this been an issue with anyone you know of or am I just over thinking it? I like the set up of the gunvault better, but I like the idea of not depending on batteries like the fort knox.

The concern is valid, but it's easily remedied with a proactive battery replacement schedule.  My corner safe has 4 AA batteries as well as a manual barrel key option.  I would say if I used it two or three times a week the batteries would still probably last a year, but I proactively swap them out about every 6 months and just give the old ones to my son for his old xbox controller.
I like having the barrel key too because there could always be an EMP pulse that wipes out the electronics.  (lol, just kidding.  That was for LB)
I like the manual key because there's always the chance of the electronics failing over time or something like a lightning strike whacking it, so it gives me the piece of mind that I don't have to try and hacksaw my way into my own safe to rescue my guns.
I have another regular floor safe that I have most of my ammo in, and it only has an electronic combo so I'm waiting for the day that I have to try and break into it.  

2014-06-21 8:41 PM

User image

The Winchester Barometric safe is an excellent unit. If memory serves me correctly it has the ability to be plugged in to an outlet & has a battery backup. It's one of the easiest to program and you can have I think up to 15 fingerprints. I'd do both index fingers if it were me. I believe it has a key access as well but check out the info on here. I've had several gun safes come though here and this one was pretty impressive imo. 

I have one I got from Walmart, keypad with a key backup.  It fits a compact and full size semi auto comfortable and has the ability to mount to whatever you are putting it on. I think I paid less than $50 for it.

Something you might consider for 3 handguns would be to get two safes?

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Pistol Safe Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : March 6, 2008
author : Diane1961
comments : 0
As triathlon gains in popularity, there will be more athletes like me: never participated in competitive sports, minimal race experience, and only recently taken up endurance sports.
date : October 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Is it ever advisable to try to lose muscle mass? I've been struggling with a cycle of training to lose weight or rehabilitate some minor injury and only gaining muscle, which adds to my weight.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 2
It may seem simple, but too many athletes get hurt during the season. We all need to stay safe while we share the roads. Here are some reminders to remain alert to our surroundings.