General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To train or not to train? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-13 7:53 AM

User image

Utah
Subject: To train or not to train?
I've had the worst cold I can remember, fever, runny nose, lost my voice, felt fatigued, etc. I missed a few days of training because I literally couldn't leave the house because I felt like crap. Today I feel much better, still a little tired, but I have a nagging dry cough. Should I take another day off or rest up another day? Supposed to be a 7-8 mile run

2014-06-13 7:53 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: RE: To train or not to train?
Originally posted by KatieLimb

I've had the worst cold I can remember, fever, runny nose, lost my voice, felt fatigued, etc. I missed a few days of training because I literally couldn't leave the house because I felt like crap. Today I feel much better, still a little tired, but I have a nagging dry cough. Should I take another day off or rest up another day? Supposed to be a 7-8 mile run

If it was me, and I felt like that, I'd take another day off. Or, if you do anything make sure it is very very light...maybe 2-3 easy miles.
2014-06-13 7:56 AM

Spring/Woodlands Area
Rest if you feel you need it. You can also try starting an easy workout and seeing if you are feeling better or worse after 10 min or so. That's often a trick I use - give myself 5-10 min of exercise. If I'm feeling worse, exhausted, etc., I quit with no guilt. If I'm feeling better, I go through an easy workout. That helps me differentiate between I really need to rest and I want to be lazy. But that only works if you can walk away if your body says no.
2014-06-13 9:56 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Do you think you can do a quality 7-8 mile run, or will you just plod along feeling miserable?  How do you think you'll recover from such a run? 

If I were facing your situation, I'd ask myself whether attempting the run today jeopardizes my training for tomorrow and Sunday, and if it does, I'd skip it.  (Come race day, whether you did this one workout or not is unlikely to make a significant difference in your performance.)  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To train or not to train? Rss Feed