General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running with blisters Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-13 8:47 AM

Arden, North Carolina
Subject: running with blisters
So, I'm an idiot. I had a one hour run on tuesday, and i got to the park and forgot my socks. I didn't think it was too big a deal to run without them, i've done it in races several times, albeit never more than a 5k, but i thought it would be fine. And I didn't want to wear sweat socks.
Yea, so Hokas are definitely not meant to be worn without socks. I started noticing the pain around 4.5 miles. Wasn't too painful, but not pleasant. I finished the run without a problem, but ripped the shoes off immediately and walked back to the car barefoot.
So I was about to run last night, I put my shoes and socks on(same shoes as last time), stood up and knew immediately it wasn't happening. It hurt to stand in the shoes, let alone. run.
So I'm not overly concerned about missing a mid week run, but, my concern is missing my long run this weekend. I'm training for IM Louisville, and am just wondering what you(whoever reads this) would do if the pain is still pretty intense by tomorrow or sunday. I typically do my long run saturday, but thought of switching my bike and run to give my foot another day.
Please don't say 2 hours of water running, I don't think I can do that. Should I just try and suck it up, or could that prolong the pain even longer? Thoughts?

2014-06-13 8:57 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Subject: RE: running with blisters
I typically either put band-aids over the blister or moleskin around the blister (with a hole cut over the actual blister) and run.
2014-06-13 9:04 AM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
standard blister care, don't drain it (if it needs to be drained it will do it on its own). Get some mole skin and make a "doughnut" for the blister, you want to keep it padded and away from friction. Keep the skin dry clean it with alcohol, foot powder, you will be your best answer if you feel ok then go for it if it hurts don't.
2014-06-13 9:10 AM

User image

I tend to pop them with a sterilized needle, fill the skin pocket partially with neosporine with lidocane and then put one of these over it:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=79971&catid=59963&ai...

Leave it alone until it falls off all by itself. Sometimes the skin flap comes with it, sometimes it doesn't. Just make sure to keep it antibiotic'd until it heals back up.

2014-06-13 9:14 AM

New user
Key West
First, I have never worn socks in my 33 years of running, but have had blisters depending on the weather, the length of my runs and whether I was wearing new shoes, etc. I have never let blisters stop me from running. I simply tend to them by safely releasing the fluid, cleaning them, and putting on band aides and then going at it again. I just ran a marathon on the 1st and, of course, had some pretty significant blisters under a couple of toenails (seems odd but not unusual even with vaseline all over my toes), and didn't even feel them until I got back to the hotel room. Eventually, your feet get toughened up (callused) and you get less blisters. Not the prettiest things, but hey, your a triathlete!
2014-06-13 10:13 AM
in reply to: topolina

Arden, North Carolina
Ok, maybe they're not blisters, but "hot spots." There's no bubble, at least there isn't anymore. Just looks like the skin was rubbed off. I tried putting on nu-skin, that hurt like hell, I guess there's a lot of alcohol. But, anyway, there's nothing to drain, it's just an open sore.
I'm liking the donut bandage idea, I'll check that out. I really don't want to let something this stupid keep me from running. Its just right under my arches so there's almost no avoiding it while I run. Just hoping i can get through my long run. I have a recovery week coming up and a race so worst case I can take the running easier this week to let it heal.

2014-06-13 10:43 AM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
well, once you "drain" a blister or it opens on its own or the skin breaks down you need to keep it clean and protected. The burning from the nuskin or any antiseptic is expected. Mole skin is magical in keeping the pressure off of the wound. add an antibiotic ointment and maybe some gauze to allow it to breath yet keep it dry. one it scabs over/ dries up you can use Vaseline or another ointment to help keep it from rubbing to aggressively. My feet will look like stone by the end of the season, my heels look like unpolished marble. you will slowly build up calluses to help you. Just keep it clean protected and dry and you should be fine.
2014-06-13 10:59 AM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

Philadelphia
I will throw this out there, but maybe purchasing some Leukotape could help in the future. If you're on a long run and begin to get a hot spot, applying Leukotape to that portion of your foot can reduce the chance of it turning into a blister. A roll will last a while and is about $8 on Amazon.
2014-06-13 11:11 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

HTFU and run!!!
2014-06-13 12:34 PM
in reply to: niceguy542006

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by niceguy542006

I will throw this out there, but maybe purchasing some Leukotape could help in the future. If you're on a long run and begin to get a hot spot, applying Leukotape to that portion of your foot can reduce the chance of it turning into a blister. A roll will last a while and is about $8 on Amazon.

The only reason I got this one was cause I went sockless, which is a mistake that'll never happen again! The only other time it happened was during my first ironman, but that was a blister that was epic, so still might be worth the purchase, so that's for the tip.
2014-06-13 12:38 PM
in reply to: mike761

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by mike761

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

HTFU and run!!!

well maybe i'm fine with keeping that particular weakness...that s$%t hurts!!

2014-06-13 4:18 PM
in reply to: #5011843

User image

Master
White Plains NY
If you have a CVS near you, go find their "heavy duty waterproof bandage"....hopefully all drug stores will have their own generic version. I got one of the worst blisters of my life a week out from a 70.3 and the night before the race I cleaned my foot really well, dried it completely and slapped on one of those bandages. The bandage held through the swim and through the entire race and could have lasted a few more days. It was like a brand new piece of skin. Felt no pain during the run. It was a miracle cure for me.
2014-06-13 5:28 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Sores on your feet are nothing to joke about. If you keep running and they get worse you may need to stop running for awhile until they heal.

One long run missed will not effect your IMKY run. Success on the run in an IM is the accumulation of all your training plus if you pace your swim/bike well and take in proper nutrition.

Hard for folks in BT land to know exactly the condition of your blisters/feet to advise you well. Injuring the new skin under your blisters will likely make the whole thing take longer. Why not push your long run back a few days once you know your feet are better. 

2014-06-14 9:04 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

I agree that its hard for us to judge. Do what you can do.

Personally, I get blisters all the time- I know you modified this to hot-spots which are completely different.

First, I dont pop or drain any blister. The fluid is already sterile, why mess with it?
Second, I "toughen" my feet often, so I get fewer blisters - but then again, swimming for 45 minutes is new to me this year and a new factor there.

You are already running on pillows (Hokas) so this probably wont help. I have 3 different levels of cushioning. I run barefoot at times, usually once or twice a week when weather is good. When I am training, I'll switch between my minimalist and my regular cushioned shoes. If I have really sore feet, like this Sunday after running 7 miles on 84* blacktop and about 1.5 miles of rocks, I wear my cushioned (less than Hokas) shoes to rehab. Ive found with blisters, I can still run a 5k the next day if I start off slowly.

Good thing about going barefoot, no hot spots. Nothing to rub. I know nobody on a Tri site is going to run barefoot, but Im just putting it out there.

Id recommend you try to put off your long run by a day, and plan on going shorter (an out and back route) and slower than if you were not injured. If you feel good, you can always add miles.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running with blisters Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Running Shoes - Blisters?

Started by toader
Views: 3831 Posts: 4

2008-09-06 3:06 PM Mrs. brown_dog_us

Running Feet Friction and blisters

Started by writers2
Views: 4026 Posts: 13

2008-10-16 7:43 PM terryinnh

running with blisters

Started by Dlaxman31
Views: 1495 Posts: 11

2006-10-17 3:55 PM C-Ray

Blisters, another newbie running question

Started by tkbslc
Views: 1090 Posts: 11

2006-08-07 5:26 PM TROGDOR

I keep getting blisters on my long runs!

Started by GatorGirl22
Views: 1534 Posts: 17

2006-01-27 12:47 AM piggpen35
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 3, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Learn how blisters are formed and some tips on how to prevent blisters and what to do if you get a blister.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : May 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on bricks, bike position, blisters, bike fit, the walk/run method, improving run times, key sessions, training post ITBS, HR and cadence, wetsuits and eating to not bonk

date : August 22, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions regarding running form and blisters.
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
Injuries do happen, and we would like to discuss a few injuries that are common. All of these injuries can fall under the category of what are commonly called overuse injuries.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Ironman Couer d'Alene 2003 - Inspirational first ironman triathlon devoted to his wife battling cancer.