General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about Race Day IT Band Issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-15 7:25 AM

User image

Subject: Question about Race Day IT Band Issues
Hi all,
Some brief history: I am currently 6 weeks into a half IM training program. I have a history of IT Band issues, which I pretty much worked through during about 4 months of PT. I do a lot of strength training, as that seemed to be my main problem. Once my legs were tired, my form would go downhill and then the knees would hurt. Anyways, I'm up to biking 35 miles and running 9 miles (on separate days). Last weekend I did the long bike on Saturday and the long run on Sunday and felt okay.
Now, here's my problem. Yesterday I did a sprint triathlon, 600m/13mi/4mi. Should be "easy", right? Each distance is well below what I've been doing in training. When I got to the run portion, I was feeling fine until about 2.5 miles in...and then my left knee started feeling the twinges/tightening up of IT band! What am I doing wrong here?? Why can I do each event separately for long distances, but can barely finish a 4 mile run after a 13 mile bike? Maybe I'm going too hard on the bike on race day, and my legs are tired? This has happened at the last two sprints I did, so I tried to go easier on the bike this time. I am so frustrated. Any advice would be wonderful. I guess I'll try to beef up my strength training some more and maybe try doing my short bike and short run on the same day...? I am just so tired of dealing with this IT band stuff. I'd really like to be able to get through the run portion without an issue!

2014-06-16 1:42 PM
in reply to: mtnbrooke7

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Question about Race Day IT Band Issues

Hey Brooke,

You mentioned that you did some PT for your IT bands. What kind of PT did you do? Any foam roller stuff? I've been plagued by IT band crap since I started running in high school, and it's led to knee pain off and on over the years because the IT band can get so tight that it pulls my knee cap to the side. What finally helped for me was the foam roller, and the following 3 stretches.

IT band stretch 1

IT band stretch 2

IT band stretch 3

These really helped loosen up my IT bands around the hip area, and by doing so relieved my knee pain. It can come back occasionally if I do a hard track workout, so I'm guessing that racing may be causing your IT issues to flare up as well. When you stretch, how long do you hold a stretch for? Shoot for at least 20-30 seconds, and even do it a couple times. I understand your frustration. Hope it all goes away so you can enjoy a lifetime of healthy legs

2014-06-18 9:24 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Thanks for the advice! In PT, they found that my IT band was actually not very tight...so they focused more on strength exercises. I haven't been using my foam roller as much lately, so I need to make that a priority. I guess I've just been trying to go harder than my muscles can handle on the bike. It is my weakest of the three events, and it seems to be taking forever to build those muscles. It just surprises me that I wouldn't even be able to do those short distances together, when I can do triple the distances if I separate cycling and running by even a day. Strange. My left hip does feel like it needs some active release or something. It constantly feels sort of cramped up. I have been doing the stretches you mentioned, but I should probably hold them for longer.
I have another sprint this Sunday. I guess I'll try to go super easy on the bike and see if that changes anything.
2014-06-29 10:58 PM
in reply to: mtnbrooke7

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by mtnbrooke7 Thanks for the advice! In PT, they found that my IT band was actually not very tight...so they focused more on strength exercises. I haven't been using my foam roller as much lately, so I need to make that a priority. I guess I've just been trying to go harder than my muscles can handle on the bike. It is my weakest of the three events, and it seems to be taking forever to build those muscles. It just surprises me that I wouldn't even be able to do those short distances together, when I can do triple the distances if I separate cycling and running by even a day. Strange. My left hip does feel like it needs some active release or something. It constantly feels sort of cramped up. I have been doing the stretches you mentioned, but I should probably hold them for longer. I have another sprint this Sunday. I guess I'll try to go super easy on the bike and see if that changes anything.

Any luck on your most recent sprint?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about Race Day IT Band Issues Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IT BAND issues 12 weeks til first half marathon HELP

Started by jschristian44
Views: 1504 Posts: 6

2013-01-06 11:54 AM jschristian44

gratson therapy for IT band or other issues

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 1191 Posts: 4

2012-02-03 7:58 AM SEADOCHA

IT band issue

Started by Maks Tri
Views: 1454 Posts: 5

2010-09-30 11:45 AM ballyard7

IT band issues from biking

Started by natebs
Views: 1999 Posts: 5

2010-07-26 11:37 AM ZealousVitality

IT Band issues

Started by bcball
Views: 853 Posts: 3

2007-10-19 9:13 PM LaurenSU02
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 16, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Everytime I up my run mileage I get injured. As I train I seem to inevitably get pulled calves, IT band syndrome then achilles issues. What can I do?

date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.
date : April 13, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 3
Every year thousands of triathletes spend excessive amounts of time and money on training, only to show up to the biggest race of the season with little to no plan.

date : October 7, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
Learn the important aspects of a successful pre-race nutrition plan including carbo-loading and eating the morning of the race.
date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.