FIRM Racing
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 53m 19s
Overall Rank = 42/109
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, normal breakfast of 3 egg whites, 1 egg, toast and a sausage. Had some extra gatorade and water. Grabbed a coffee for the road and made the 1.5 hour drive. Really only sipped the coffee, had a bottle of water in the car along with a Nature Vally bar.
Event warmup:

Nicely spaced racks. Lots of room in transition. Every race should be so lucky. Navigated our way down the mountainous trail to the lake and did 100-200 yards total. Wetsuit felt good, water was beautiful and great temperature.
Swim
  • 27m 36s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

First mile swim for me in a race. I swore they said there were two waves of males but apparently not, so I was a few seconds getting in the water. Just took it very easy the entire time, I felt in control and felt great. The distance between the 1st and 2nd buoy was probably 1/2 mile with one intermediate smaller buoy, so I think I mis-sighted a bit there, but all in all I was right on buoys, not straying too far off course at all. I really tried to keep my effort minimal and ended up beating my predicted time by 5 minutes, so I'll take that all day. Turns out I had the 2nd fastest swim in the 30-34 AG, only behind the AG winner who was also the 2nd place OA.
What would you do differently?:

Hell, race harder. I had a ton left in the tank and just kept it nice and even. Great to now for a sprint that I can really let it go if I want to.
Transition 1
  • 07m 12s
Comments:

Holy crap. Longest, gnarliest T1 ever. 1/4 to 1/2 mile trail run from the lake to the bikes. I brought old shoes with me to the lake and took my wetsuit off right after the swim. So glad I did. The run back was insane. Uphill, rocks, roots, puddles, it was nasty. I jogged it, some people ran, some people walked, whatever. Definitely the hardest and highest HR T1 ever though.

Brought a dirt bike.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 28s
  • 26 miles
  • 18.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Biggest thing I wanted to take away from this was pacing myself and taking in enough calories. I figure I'd be good for 18-19 MPH with a HR around 155-162 and I'd take in a little over 400 calories. The hills were tough, but I thought I handled them well. I didn't stand up once, just worked through all my gears and got up the hills and while I never pushed it, I was passing people who were grinding out of their seats. Felt good to see my biking pay off. Besides that I felt like I ate and drank well, maybe a bit more water but was pretty much out. I only looked at the mile splits and saw anything from 4:30 on the hills to 2:32 on the flats/downs. Felt strong the whole way, even at the last climb back to the T2. Hit what I wanted in terms of pace, HR, calories, so while I could have pushed it harder I stuck to my plan.

Nothing really. I did what I wanted to.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Lots of room in transition was great. I knew right where to go, wide lanes, clear on both sides of me. Ran the bike in, dropped the helmet off, racked, threw on my hat and shoes and grabbed a water bottle and went. I saw 37 on my watch and thought that was a pretty quick transition. Tied for 4th quickest transition of the day, behind two of the top 5 OA guys and 1 other person.

Can always get off the bike smoother but it all felt good.
Run
  • 54m 42s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Frigging hills. First mile was up, right out of the gate. I think I went 8:08 which might have taken more out of me than I thought. Then you go downhill, which really just kind of hurt. Then the sprint has their turnaround and the next 2-3 miles of the Oly were just hill after hill. It was brutal. I knew I was turning in 9 minute miles but there was nothing I could do. My knee started bothering me on the dowhills from all the slamming. Finished strong but there was no way I was going to get to my sub 50 like I wanted. Very tough run. I had 2-3 people pass me on the run which was ok since the Oly wasn't a straight up out and back, there was a 2-3 mile portion that people weren't coming back at you so for a while I thought I was alone out there haha.

I need to up my run mileage but I don't think anything would have helped this course. If I had to pick one thing I feel disappointed about it'd be the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, gatorade, some chicken and salad, then an iced coffee and donut on the way home. Lots of water too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills. Really though, it was what I was going for. I wanted 2:50, I got 2:53 mainly because of the hills. Fine with me. Great learning experience. After looking at the official results I thought (know) I registered Clydesdale but somehow it put me in the 30-34 AG. I would have been 2nd place in the Clydes. Oh well. I'm fine knowing that I turned in (for me) a quality race.

Event comments:

Nothing they can do about the hills haha. Race was a little late starting, 5-10 minutes. Not much food after but the chicken was really good. No beer. Not much set up there but they have a massive area which is nice. Tough race but a good one. I'd do it again. The T1 from the swim is insane though. However the swim was beautiful. The water was borderline refreshing it was so clean and cool. Don't know what it was about the swim but I loved the lake.

Last updated: 2014-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:36 | 1760 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 53/109
Performance: Good
Suit: Full sleeves
Course: Rectangle-ish.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:23:28 | 26 miles | 18.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 43/109
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 laps of 13 miles. Lots of hills, which you get to see twice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:42 | 06.5 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 52/109
Performance: Below average
Course: Go up a hill, then go up more hills, then go down one tiny hill, then climb another 30 hills and finally get to the end and collapse.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-06-15 7:09 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: Ashland Lions Olympic Triathlon

2014-06-15 8:41 PM
in reply to: #5012579

User image

Subject: RE: Ashland Lions Olympic Triathlon
Thanx for the trip report, Jon, I was there, too. You forgot to mention that stiff breeze which picked up even more on Lap 2 of the bike. Ya' gotta' love the Swim to Bike "transition" ("epic" is more like it) and the event gets some Gnar Points from me for that transition. The swim was especially pleasant and the run for me was killer for the first 1.5 miles but downright pleasant on the back stretch. Definitely a scrappy little race. No medals/bling handed out at the end and that's OK for me as it's the journey that really counts.
2014-06-16 8:03 AM
in reply to: #5012579

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Nice job - and great execution of the plan!!

CONGRATS
2014-06-16 8:28 AM
in reply to: Mahk

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Mahk - I did notice a bit of a stiffer wind on the 2nd lap. Between that and seeing NO ONE on the course the 2nd time around it was a much different ride. Definitely a challenging race but I think I'll be putting it on the calendar from here on out.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ashland Lions Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ashland Lions Olympic Triathlon

Started by hoenninger
Views: 1098 Posts: 1

2013-06-17 7:23 PM hoenninger

Ashland Lions Triathlon

Started by scott
Views: 1983 Posts: 4

2008-06-17 11:51 AM tri_again

Ashland Lions Triathlon

Started by poweke
Views: 1290 Posts: 1

2008-01-12 10:39 PM poweke

Ashland Lions Triathlon

Started by empacher
Views: 1424 Posts: 1

2007-06-20 6:30 AM empacher

Ashland Lions International Triathlon

Started by TypeA Girl Pilot
Views: 975 Posts: 9

2004-10-09 9:50 PM TriMom217
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.