General Discussion Race Reports! » Heartland Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Heartland Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sebring, Florida
United States
Heartland Triathlon
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 17m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5 and got dressed and gathered my stuff. Drove over and gt a primo parking spot then had to wait in line to get into transition because we were like 2 m minutes early. I had a couple diet cokes with me and some breakfast bread I picked up at publix which I ate about an hour before the race started. Got set up and waited around for Tom and Dylan who were doing the sprint. Found them and chatted a bit. Watched them all go off.
Event warmup:

Nada. Sat and waited for my wave to go off. The race start got delayed
Swim
  • 32m 29s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

You know this is pretty slow for me but 3 minutes faster than St. A and this was not wetsuit legal so I can't really complain too much. The lake is nice but its shallow so you have to tromp thru the water a ways to get swimming. Because you could not see the course from the shore due to fog it was hard to get an idea of where you had to swim. Across the top it was like WTF ANOTHER buoy??? Anyway passed some guys from the previous wave. Nothing too eventful. Sighted pretty well. I stood up in waist deep water at 31:23 so it took over a minute of water walking to get to the timing mat
What would you do differently?:

Swim more swim faster :)
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

I walked up the pavement into transition. I had my shoes on my bike so just put on my helmet and glasses and ran out. I thought I was like last out of the water but there were a more bikes on the rack than gone so I felt better about my swim

I wish I could run these but its just not worth getting my feet unhappy
Bike
  • 1h 20m 32s
  • 40 kms
  • 29.80 km/hr
Comments:

This was about the same pace as St. A but on a much hillier course. I am good with it. I love biking in this area. The course ran right past the entrance to my parents development so rather than have them get up early and be on their feet all day getting tired, sore and worn out I told them to stay home and just come out to the entrance of the park about an hour after the race started which worked out really well. They have seen me race enough and they don't need to feel like crap the rest of the day. So I had fun biking out and about. The second half is pretty much all up hill but whatever I had a fun ride. We went over some railroad tracks and the girl in front of me ejected her smart phone and I yelled to her "You lost your phone" but I guess it was not important enough to her to stop for it. I would have stopped.

Train hills more, which is difficult living somewhere with no hills to speak of.
Transition 2
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

I was not for sure exactly how long the course was but managed to get my feet out of my shoes right before transition. I absolutely cannot walk in my bike shoes. At all. Racked bike and sat down to do my thing. I wiped my feet dry and put on my socks and shoes. If my feet are unhappy there is no way on gods green earth to even have a marginal run. An extra minute here translated into 12 minutes faster on my run. I think thats a good trade off!!

I came out of transition and everyone is yelling at you to run but it was uneven grass and I tried but twisted my bad ankle. NOT GOOD!!!

No running til I am on solid surfaces!!!!
Run
  • 1h 18m 21s
  • 10 kms
  • 07m 50s  min/km
Comments:

First of all 2 thumbs up on the new shoes. My feet were SO much happier than at St. Anthony's. I came out and started on a run walk. I was kind of winded so it was short bursts at first. By the end of the first loop I was getting my groove on and had managed to get to a 4:1 run walk. I took a bottle of skratch with me but I had finished it by maybe the first 2 miles. I took water at the aide stations after that dumping one on my head and drinking one cup each time. I did the first loop in 38 minutes and felt like I was doing well for me. I continued on basically a 4:1 or 3:1 run walk.

I saw Tom and Dylan about midway thru the second loop. By this time the heat was getting to me and I had it increase my walk breaks. I knew I would beat my St. A's time by a lot and was hoping to evenly split the run but that didn't happen. Finished and got some water. I was going to get food but after standing in line for 15-20 minutes and realizing they had no diet coke I gave up and went back to my parents

I need to run more and loose weight. The extra poundage is NOT helping my speed or my ankle/foot issues. I cannot complain about 2 minutes per mile faster than at St. Anthony's regardless as to how slow I ran though :) My ankle was really quite sore for much of this run but unless I want to invest the time in another surgery (which I do not) it is what it is. AND my run time was less than my bike time!!!! WHOOHOOOOOOOO
Post race
Warm down:

It was bloody HOT by the time I finished. They gave us nice cold towels. I tried to get food but gave it up as a bad job and went back to my parents. Took them out for lunch for fathers day. MUCH better than race food :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad foot/ankle, too fat, heat a little light on the training.

Event comments:

They get a 5 because they have the BEST race swag ever. You totally get your race fee back in goodies. Tech shirt, tech hat, 2 towels, a buff, a pull buoy, swim goggles, a yoga mat and a bunch of other stuff I can't think of.

Oh yeah there were 100 women TOTAL doing the oly....30 of them were in my age group....WTF? And the overall female was from my AG...they let her double dip and take overall female AND overall masters. At least they didn't let her triple dip and take the AG too.

Last updated: 2014-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:29 | 1500 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: TYR swim skin
Course: inverted triangle but it was so foggy you really could not see the course
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:20:32 | 40 kms | 29.80 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Convoluted course around Highlands county. Its right near where my parents live and I enjoy biking out there so I am familiar with most of the roads
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:18:21 | 10 kms | 07m 50s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: 2 laps of a star shaped course.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-16 9:09 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Heartland Triathlon - Olympic Course

2014-06-16 9:30 PM
in reply to: #5012804

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Heartland Triathlon - Olympic Course

Happy to see you found shoes that make your feet and legs happier!

Nice job overall

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heartland Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by vgb
Views: 1938 Posts: 3

2008-07-02 12:13 AM van_paulus

Started by tcovert
Views: 3116 Posts: 6

2008-07-03 8:48 AM Slahmmer

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1806 Posts: 2

2007-09-12 6:30 PM MikeB

Started by van_paulus
Views: 1909 Posts: 4

2007-06-29 11:25 AM ChrisM

Started by ChrisM
Views: 2173 Posts: 4

2006-07-06 12:24 AM van_paulus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.