General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kids and tris- training question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-16 10:12 AM

User image

Subject: Kids and tris- training question
I have a question for any pros out there (or amateurs, or in between)

We just started my son on running. He’s the kind of kid that would rarely start things himself like that, but seems to be fine with doing it. He’s got the added incentive that he’s allowed to talk about Minecraft all he wants while we run. Anyway. He’s 11, not a natural athlete and a little overweight. But he and I have started talking about doing a kids’ tri. I found a tri that has a sprint I’d like to do, and a kids version that he’s admitted he might try. It’s 250m lake swim, 5 mile ride, 1 mile run on Sept 7th.

I want to help him work on training without overdoing it. we were thinking 2 swims, 2 bikes and then 3-4 runs a week. Some of those would overlap- like a swim in the AM and bike in the afternoon. Right now he’s doing 1 mile run with a walk break in the middle most days of the week. I think as his run gets longer, we’ll do it less often. Partly it is so often because his dad is pretty gung-ho about getting him some exercise.

Crazy? too much? thoughts? I feel like he can totally do all of the race, with the swim distance being the challenge, by September.

2014-06-16 10:14 AM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Subject: RE: Kids and tris- training question
added thought, even if we don't do this, my goal for him is to be able to run a 5 K in September.
2014-06-16 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by el penguino I have a question for any pros out there (or amateurs, or in between) We just started my son on running. He’s the kind of kid that would rarely start things himself like that, but seems to be fine with doing it. He’s got the added incentive that he’s allowed to talk about Minecraft all he wants while we run. Anyway. He’s 11, not a natural athlete and a little overweight. But he and I have started talking about doing a kids’ tri. I found a tri that has a sprint I’d like to do, and a kids version that he’s admitted he might try. It’s 250m lake swim, 5 mile ride, 1 mile run on Sept 7th. I want to help him work on training without overdoing it. we were thinking 2 swims, 2 bikes and then 3-4 runs a week. Some of those would overlap- like a swim in the AM and bike in the afternoon. Right now he’s doing 1 mile run with a walk break in the middle most days of the week. I think as his run gets longer, we’ll do it less often. Partly it is so often because his dad is pretty gung-ho about getting him some exercise. Crazy? too much? thoughts? I feel like he can totally do all of the race, with the swim distance being the challenge, by September.

^^^^^Wow.  That would really work on my almost 11 year old too.  We have a strict "dad doesn't give a flying about Minecraft" rule in our house, but I'd be willing to listen to him if we were out running.

Hmmmmmm.  I may steal this idea.

2014-06-16 10:24 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
The Kids of Steel parent brochure is a pretty good starting point (IMO) when it comes to training for youth. You can find a copy here:

http://www.tribc.org/uploads/files/2014%20Documents/Parent%20Handbo...

The key things are really to keep it fun and stick with age appropriate distances for training and racing.

Hope he enjoys!

Shane
2014-06-16 10:29 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Pro

The only advice I have is that you do every workout that he does with him, at his pace.  You don't need to, of course, but you will sure miss some great time with your son if you don't.

Why a 5K?  Our big XC meets here have 3K races for the HS freshman level (14 years old).  Personally, I don't think you need to hold him to a 5K as a goal.....just have fun with it.  Make the goal to continue the workouts for X amount of time.  It's a process.....he's young.....start slow and spend the time with him.

2014-06-16 10:29 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

I'm pretty sure could run a lot further or faster if he'd stop talking, but he doesn't. Normally I try to avoid the subject like the plague!!

(also- lego minecraft sets are the most popular thing ever at our house. both boys. They're creating their own at this point)

2014-06-16 10:34 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

good point!! We do the runs at his pace, and 5K is just a line in the sand, nothing special about it. And one of us always goes with him. He's usually either my short day, or warmup for a longer run, and DH takes him on other days. And bikes will be home from summer camp fun time- we did that last summer several times too. And he loves being in the water- so it's laps for X amount of time, and then free swim while I finish my swim. So he did 125 yards and then got like 20 minutes of water play, and I had to drag him out of the pool. I absolutely don't want it to get stressful at all. I want him to enjoy- which he does so far!
2014-06-16 10:37 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by el penguino good point!! We do the runs at his pace, and 5K is just a line in the sand, nothing special about it. And one of us always goes with him. He's usually either my short day, or warmup for a longer run, and DH takes him on other days. And bikes will be home from summer camp fun time- we did that last summer several times too. And he loves being in the water- so it's laps for X amount of time, and then free swim while I finish my swim. So he did 125 yards and then got like 20 minutes of water play, and I had to drag him out of the pool. I absolutely don't want it to get stressful at all. I want him to enjoy- which he does so far!

You are on a great path......have fun!

2014-06-16 10:59 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Originally posted by el penguino  It’s 250m lake swim, 5 mile ride, 1 mile run on Sept 7th. I want to help him work on training without overdoing it. we were thinking 2 swims, 2 bikes and then 3-4 runs a week. Some of those would overlap- like a swim in the AM and bike in the afternoon.

Crazy? too much? thoughts?

Just my opinion, but...

1.  He is 11, and your' talking about 7-8 workouts per week.  That is way too much in my opinion.

2. Yes, swimming will be the toughest.

My best advice is keep it simple and fun.  And as LB said do many workouts with your son.  Especially swimming.  But remember, you are his training partner, not his coach.

2014-06-16 11:04 AM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Pro

Originally posted by velocomp

Originally posted by el penguino  It’s 250m lake swim, 5 mile ride, 1 mile run on Sept 7th. I want to help him work on training without overdoing it. we were thinking 2 swims, 2 bikes and then 3-4 runs a week. Some of those would overlap- like a swim in the AM and bike in the afternoon.

But remember, you are his training partner, not his coach.

Wise advice for every parent.

2014-06-16 11:15 AM

I would have him join a swim team. Even if it is just a summer rec league rather than a USA program he is going to get a lot of pool time and work on mechanics. It is probably too late to join a summer rec league but that would be an option for next summer.

You could look into joining a USA program in the fall after LC is done. Most clubs seem to have some level of tryouts just so people don't try to use it as swim lessons for kids that can't swim. They usually have an expectation that they sort of know the 4 strokes (although you could get accepted with a fly and breast that would get you a DQ at a meet). Some USA programs have development programs where they only practice a couple times a week and they do not complete in meets but rather work on mechanics, since they don't enter meets you do not need to pay the USA membership, 99% of these kids compete in summer rec leagues.

2014-06-16 11:59 AM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by velocomp

Just my opinion, but...

1.  He is 11, and your' talking about 7-8 workouts per week.  That is way too much in my opinion.

2. Yes, swimming will be the toughest.

My best advice is keep it simple and fun.  And as LB said do many workouts with your son.  Especially swimming.  But remember, you are his training partner, not his coach.

The amount of workouts seems excessive. Keep it fun or he will bail.

If he knows how to ride a bike, he does not need much to get through the tri. Get him comfortable running up to 2 miles, this will build his engine for both.

Swim-?? how well does he swim, if he can already swim the distance you just need him to go swimming once or twice a week with friends and add a couple laps in each time.

Does he have goals for this? You have to mentally prepare him for it, don't run a couple miles a week and have him believing that he is going to win. Let him know that it's very common to come in at the back of the pack the first time. I've helped at a couple of these kids events in the transition area and this is where the kids go crazy. Have him memorize a short list of what he needs to do in transition, or write the list and laminate it so he can read it in transition(this might work for some adults too ).
2014-06-16 12:27 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Don't forget, their is always plan B. which is the Du (if they offer one)

My son is 4 and I swear I don't push him to do any of it, he just loves to be moving. For his age its only 100m swim, 3 miles bike and .5 mile run.

How we do it, he'll bike when I go out on shorter runs (3-5 miles), he'll do a lap or 2 if he feels like it in the pool while we are their swimming and he'll join me on my cool down jog sometimes.

All great advice so far, also don't forget that any exercise is better than none so he doesn't have to stick to a strict plan (aka 2 run, ect ) just make it fun and do it with him and he'll have no problems

2014-06-16 12:58 PM
in reply to: ECS49

Originally posted by ECS49

My son is 4 and I swear I don't push him to do any of it, he just loves to be moving. For his age its only 100m swim, 3 miles bike and .5 mile run.

I am actually surprised that many 4 year olds can complete 100m swim and a 3 mile bike. Most 4 year olds are still on training wheels.
2014-06-16 1:16 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I think you're on the right track.  

7-8 "workouts" a week as long as they're age appropriate aren't a problem.  I think you had another post where you said he's already swimming half the distance and enjoyed the free time after swimming.  (All of that "time in motion" is good training for kids.  As a swim instructor, I'd get the kids to swim as much during "free-time" as they did during "the lesson" by insisting they use good form when swimming to the side after jumping off the diving board.)  

You can incorporate the run/ride workouts into other activities.  What things are within bike riding distance?  What things are within running distance?  Set up an obstacle course.  Play frisbee (and it's amazing how much running he can do catching slightly wild throws...)  Play follow-the-leader (and let him lead some).  

The key is to keep the workouts short and fun.  He shouldn't need to run more than about 10 minutes at a time.  He shouldn't need to ride more than 15-30 minutes at a time. 

2014-06-16 1:39 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

I know 7-8 seems excessive, and I thought so too- but when I think of it more like, lets go for a ride today and a swim, it doesn't sounds as much- and definitely light and easy is the goal!!

A good point about the bike- he could do that now, so no reason to make bike rides "training" but more just fun.

I think the swim is the one thing he really needs to work on- since you have to be able to do that without stopping.

2014-06-16 1:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have a 7 and 9 year who wanted to do a triathlon of similar distance this year. My theory was I would come home from work and ask them if they wanted to work out tonight. If they did great if not no big deal. My 7 year old went about twice a week and the 9 year old went out 5 times a week. Come triathlon day we just had fun with it and enjoyed the day. each learned a little about what they need to do for the next time (If they want to) they do this.

Remember HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!!!!!!

our work was ride 2 miles on the bike the run about 1/2 mile. swim when you can
2014-06-16 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
My friends and I have put on 2 kids races a year for the last 8 years. The kids that come back year after year are the ones that learn to pace themselves. After he gets some base under him, do some longer sessions on the bike and then get off and run after the bike. Even if you only run 100 yards I think it will help him understand pacing better. Also, get him compfortable on the swim. If they aren't comfortable swimming the distance, then the rest of the race is miserable.

2014-06-16 2:49 PM
in reply to: Manatee Express

User image

Thanks for the input everyone! One thing someone asked- the goal is just to do it. I'm not a fast runner and am thrilled to finish in time allowed, and hope I'm imparting some of the "be happy just to be able to do that" to him.
2014-06-16 2:49 PM
in reply to: Manatee Express

User image

Originally posted by Manatee Express

My friends and I have put on 2 kids races a year for the last 8 years. The kids that come back year after year are the ones that learn to pace themselves. After he gets some base under him, do some longer sessions on the bike and then get off and run after the bike. Even if you only run 100 yards I think it will help him understand pacing better. Also, get him compfortable on the swim. If they aren't comfortable swimming the distance, then the rest of the race is miserable.

I should practice a bit of that myself!!
2014-06-16 3:37 PM

User image

Master
My 11 year old has run a few 5ks in the last year - and enjoyed all but when where she was sick and didn't tell us. I've been learning alot from this thread and the other one on the main board.

I've been hosting a run club on Sundays for my daughter and about 4 of her friends. Really a social event with running thrown in. 30 minute run followed by 90 minutes of hanging out. One of our rules is that when anyone wants to walk we walk. I keep the pace slow and girls get to gab most of the time.

2014-06-16 3:49 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Originally posted by Sidney Porter

Originally posted by ECS49

I am actually surprised that many 4 year olds can complete 100m swim and a 3 mile bike. Most 4 year olds are still on training wheels.

He is a freak, and I mean that the most loving way. I know this sounds like typical dad but he picks up things athletically very fast, he's been out of training wheels for almost 2 years now, he also just picks up and runs .5-1 miles with me without any thought. Funny enough he is a BIG 4 year old, taking after myself. He weighs more at 4 than most of my 1st and 2nd graders, its certainly not a lack of exercise or nutrition, hes just always going to be a big guy which is why I really want to make sure he enjoys exercising
2014-06-16 5:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
http://www.triathloncanada.com/en/programs/kids/

Scroll down to the rules link. In that document shows the distance/age chart. USAT probably has some similar guidelines

Sounds pretty close for age 11...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kids and tris- training question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kids Tris

Started by ABuckAMile
Views: 1310 Posts: 19

2009-08-29 11:07 PM MKAH

Kids, tris, and motivation

Started by CptDondo
Views: 752 Posts: 7

2009-06-22 3:13 PM famelec

Training between tris

Started by EABonney
Views: 712 Posts: 3

2007-08-01 11:36 AM akustix

Question about tris and runs

Started by mr2tony
Views: 562 Posts: 3

2006-05-08 9:41 PM coredump

Training between tris?

Started by schneck
Views: 723 Posts: 6

2006-03-09 9:52 AM schneck
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 9, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How safe is it for children to participate in triathlons and other endurance events? Here are the opinions of several experts in the field.

date : July 2, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
Gut check! Striking a balance between your two loves can make and keep the relationship strong.