General Discussion Race Reports! » Blacktail Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Blacktail Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Idaho Falls, Idaho
United States
PB Performance
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 41m 59s
Overall Rank = 9/9
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Up early, had my usual banana, bagel and peanut butter
Event warmup:

There was no warmup. It was freezing. 50 degrees, windy and rainy.
Swim
  • 41m 7s
  • 1600 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

Horrible, horrible swim. I was so cold I couldn't get into any kind of rhythm. I had to breast stroke in this swim more than any other I've ever done. I couldn't catch my breath, I just couldn't get going. I didn't panic per say, but I just never felt comfortable. It was all I could do to just keep moving forward.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure. I was just so cold.
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

My hands and feet were numb. I was worried on the bike as soon as I got going since I was so cold--wasn't sure how I was going to shift, etc.

Nothing, I fumbled along the best I could.
Bike
  • 1h 51m
  • 24.8 miles
  • 13.41 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't know what happened. When the bike race was discussed all I heard was out and back. there is one road in and out of the area. I assumed that meant about 13 miles straight into town, 13 miles right back. I was wrong. There was one intersection that we were supposed to take a left. I didn't hear that part nor was the road marked to turn so I completely missed it in my frozen misery. I had gone another 2-3 miles past the turn before a van caught me and the driver leaned out and said 'uh, you were supposed to turn back there'. So I turned around, headed back uphill into the wind to get back to the turn. At that point I considered quitting. I was freezing, dejected that I missed the turn, the wind sucked, the hills sucked, I just wanted to be done. BUT...my 10 year old daughter was waiting for me back at the run transition. How could I show up there and tell her I quit? I made it back to the turn I missed and continued on. It was a lonely section until finally I saw a few people on their way back. I made it to the proper turn around and finished the course. Along the way I figured I could just not do the run--my feet were frozen, I was frozen, it was windy and cold and I just wanted to stop moving!

Not missed the turn I guess. I don't know why they didn't have it marked. I found out later the lead lady missed the turn as well.
Transition 2
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

I still couldn't feel my feet. My hands were still numb, took forever to tie my shoes.

Nothing, did what I could.
Run
  • 1h 03m
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

At the start of the run I started the bargaining process. "I'll run one loop. If it's terrible, I'll quit. I did my best.' Problem was my daughter was sitting in the bed of the truck holding a Kick Butt Mom sign--the first time I passed her and saw her holding that sign, I knew I had to finish. By my third loop I could feel my feet again and the sun came out and it warmed up. I also realized I like the loop we were doing--it was actually a fun run, especially the trail section, lots of ups and downs. I found myself smiling and enjoying the pretty flowers, the view of the lake, and actually thinking 'hey--this was a sucky race, but even a sucky race day is better than a good day sitting on your butt!'

Nothing, I found a way to enjoy the run!
Post race
Warm down:

Packed up, turned the truck heater on and finally got warm!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I guess the cold and, as always, genetics!

Event comments:

There were volunteers except at the turn on the bike! I don't know why they didn't station someone there to direct us.

Last updated: 2014-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:07 | 1600 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/9
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Start from dock, swim out to farthest buoy,circle back to first buoy then back out to farthest buoy and then back in.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:51:00 | 24.8 miles | 13.41 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Was supposed to be an out and back but failed to mention or mark a crucial turn
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:14
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:03:00 | 06.2 miles | 10m 10s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: This was a six 1 mile loop course--half the loop was on pavement, the other half trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-16 10:26 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Blacktail Triathlon - Olympic Course

2014-06-16 10:43 AM
in reply to: #5012871

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Blacktail Triathlon - Olympic Course

It's races like this that are great training for an IM.  Next year, you'll have a lot of time to "bargain" with yourself, so get really good at it now.    

I'm sure your daughter is proud of you for finishing the race.  

2014-06-16 4:30 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Sounds like some tough conditions out there for sure. Having the wee ones out on the course can certainly play into the race day bargaining and that is awesome that you stuck it out and made it happen. (I am sure everyone else was suffering just as much as you were)

Sounds to me like you are ready for IM CdA or IM Tahoe. (Both have had COLD swims and COLD conditions early in the race)

Greyt Job Out There

2014-06-16 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Well I think that this was just an awesome race!  Amazing what kids can do for (to?) us!!

Good thing is that you know the kinds of things you can overcome and STILL find a way to have fun by the end of it.  

Good on ya' for not quitting and congrats on completing a challenging race.

Well done!

Matt

2014-06-16 10:03 PM

User image

Elite

Looking back on it now, I do see the value in the suffer!  The suffer builder tougher! Ha!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Blacktail Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Blacktail Triathlon

Started by Mehlmane
Views: 751 Posts: 1

2010-08-01 12:21 PM Mehlmane

Blacktail Triathlon

Started by TriMaster83
Views: 889 Posts: 1

2010-07-12 1:37 PM TriMaster83

Blacktail Triathlon

Started by triidahogirl
Views: 2472 Posts: 7

2008-07-14 8:37 PM orange223

Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by van_paulus
Views: 1905 Posts: 4

2007-06-29 11:25 AM ChrisM

Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by ChrisM
Views: 2167 Posts: 4

2006-07-06 12:24 AM van_paulus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.