Canada
16F / -9C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 35s
Overall Rank = 6/56
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

A drove the 2 hours to the race site with my family and began to set up my transition area. I talked with a few other racers and friends and went about my business getting ready. It was pretty wet out from heavy rains that morning and the transition area was full of puddles.
Event warmup:

I did some light stretching and managed to get in a quick warm up lap in the pool.
Swim
  • 12m 45s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started out really quick over the first few laps but I didn't feel great. It felt like a struggle to get into any sort of rhythm. I was worried about my pace but it turned out I was 24 seconds faster than my race two weeks ago. With the swim feeling like such a struggle I was worried about what the rest of the race was going to fell like.
What would you do differently?:

Try and relax more. I think I was so worried about swimming fast I stressed myself out and it messed with my timing and breathing. I'm not the biggest fan of these races with wave starts in a pool as I usually end up swimming the same pace as slower swimmers or getting worried about by I'm not keeping up with faster ones. I'm much more suited to OWS.
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Transition went well except for my mount. While trying to get into my shoes I slipped and caused the shoe to jam on the ground. Then once I slipped my feet in the shoes the velcro straps slid out. It took me about 1k or more to get them back in and tightened. I was at the mount line with a girl from my heat and by the time I got my feet secure in my shoes I was about 300m behind her. It took me about 20 seconds to catch up and pass her. My first 5k split time was 8:19, the splits after that were all in the 7:49 range. So Im guessing that the mis-step cost me about 20 seconds for sure.

Ive had problems with the straps on the shoes before. I have wide feet and the straps slide out pretty easy. I might have to look into different shoes. All in all I guess it was 20 seconds in transition putting them on and running in them or 20 seconds on the bike.
Bike
  • 31m 4s
  • 20 kms
  • 38.63 km/hr
Comments:

This is my kind of course. Dead flat. Big guys don't do hills, so this course is my equalizer. After my horrible start I started reeling people in. I think I passed 6 people just from my heat and a bunch of others from the previous heat. I was riding well and I knew I was maintaining a good pace. I found myself letting up a little bit and not pushing it as hard as I have in previous sprints. At the end of my first lap I did have one problem, as I was approaching the 180 turn around. the Marshall allowed a car to go. This wouldn't have been too much of a problem but in front the car was now a wheel chair racer. The car held me up for 200-300m which cost me a few more seconds as I pretty much sat up and had to coast to stay out of the cars draft. I evenly had enough room to pass on the inside and then pass the wheel chair.

No much. Raced great and maintained a good comfortable pace.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Everything went pretty smooth. The ground being wet caused my feet to be pretty dirty. I took a second to wipe them off before my shoes went on.

Nothing
Run
  • 22m 27s
  • 5.1 kms
  • 04m 24s  min/km
Comments:

Wow, this is the best run Ive ever had. I thought I was going to be tired as I ran 17k the day before it it was a struggle, but I just kept getting faster and faster. I couldn't believe my 1k splits kept dropping from 4:27 min/km down to 4:14 min/km. I could believe how great I felt. I sprinted out the last few hundred meters and held off a buddy that I had passed on the bike. He had beaten my by a minute two weeks before so I was pretty happy to do the exact same to him, lol. Only one person passed me on the run, so I was happy with that, and my run rank of 13th is way higher than I have ever been.

Smile more!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and hugged my little one. Shes such a trooper for putting up with my races,

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics

Event comments:

Awesome race. I never looked at my total time until after I crossed the line. I was hoping for under 1:10 and was thrilled to see 1:08:36.

Last updated: 2014-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:45 | 750 meters | 01m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 14/56
Performance: Average
Suit: LG Pro
Course: 15 Laps of SCM pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:31:04 | 20 kms | 38.63 km/hr
Overall: 5/56
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 3 laps of an out and back J shaped course around the edge of an Air Force base. Its dead flat. Just a very slight grade difference. I think I averaged a difference of 2 km/h between directions.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:27 | 05.1 kms | 04m 24s  min/km
Overall: 13/56
Performance: Good
Course: 5k through a neighborhood on base. Pretty flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-16 6:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Subject: 14 Wing Air Force Triathlon

2014-06-16 7:58 PM
in reply to: #5013222

User image

Subject: RE: 14 Wing Air Force Triathlon

You ROCKED this race, Derek!   Great job.   Love your answer to "what you'd do differently" question - "Smile more"!!       Congrats on earning a podium spot in your age group.   Impressive!

2014-06-16 9:38 PM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Great race! And I am jealous of that swim time,off rhythm or not that is flying.
2014-06-17 8:05 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Derek great race! Congrats on the PR and getting under 1:10, 1:08 is super fast and you did a great job all the way around plus you probably could have shaved a little more time off had you not had the issue with your bike shoes and getting held up by the car. Great job again.
2014-06-17 8:21 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Congratulations! Great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 14 Wing Air Force Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

14 Wing Air Force Triathlon

Started by BigDaddyD79
Views: 1465 Posts: 5

2013-06-18 4:39 AM DirkP

Air Force Triathlon

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 1577 Posts: 1

2009-06-22 3:42 PM gsmacleod

Buckley Air Force Base Mini-Triathlon

Started by sanguinepenguin
Views: 724 Posts: 1

2008-09-30 1:09 PM sanguinepenguin

Schriever Air Force Base Triathlon

Started by Max_O
Views: 1100 Posts: 1

2008-08-22 1:58 PM Max_O

14 Wing Air Force Triathlon

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 2053 Posts: 2

2008-06-30 9:46 PM greyhound
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 1, 2012
author : XLAB Hydration
comments : 2
Less drag than frame bottles

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : May 3, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 5
The 112/4 Race Rehearsal Brick. If done correctly, the RR is usually no more stressful than a regular training ride, and that is probably the point.