Other Resources The Political Joe » More missing IRS emails Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-06-17 2:46 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: More missing IRS emails

Now 6 (count them 6) more people whose emails have been requested are claiming computer crashes and that the emails are lost.

Oh come on people.  Do they think we are all stupid?  I really hope someone goes to prison for this. Our government has gotten to the point where they openly disobey the laws they are entrusted to enforce and they get away with it.  Sickening...

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/06/16/attkisson-on-missing-irs-documents-if-the-emails-really-are-lost-thats-quite-a-story-in-itself/

2014-06-17 2:55 PM
in reply to: TriRSquared

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: RE: More missing IRS emails
Just a second, I'm listening to these Nixon WH tapes. I think they tell how to find the emails.

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised. The government is able to get away with anything it seems and that includes lying to itself.
2014-06-17 3:03 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Interesting that the NSA can pull up any of our emails from the past decade, but a computer crashes at the IRS and all emails are forever lost.

2014-06-17 3:06 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro

No use gnashing your teeth over it......nothing will be done, no one will answer for it.

2014-06-18 12:00 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Originally posted by Left Brain

No use gnashing your teeth over it......nothing will be done, no one will answer for it.

Seems to be the way now days.  I wonder if I can claim to have lost all my financial records if I eve get audited?

2014-06-18 12:01 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriRSquared

Seems to be the way now days.  I wonder if I can claim to have lost all my financial records if I eve get audited?

That's my plan.

2014-06-18 8:07 PM

User image

Veteran
College Station, Texas

TRUTH!!
2014-06-19 10:16 AM
in reply to: PhilipRay

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

So here's the really interesting part (at least to me).

Nobody in any corporate environment after 2000 uses an email system that has your emails "only reside on your computer".  There is no possible way a "computer crash" or "hard drive failure" could lead to a loss of email.

Any corporate and especially government organization that has a mandatory email retention policy has to have a redundant server side email system such as Exchange where all emails reside. These emails are then backed up daily and archived offsite for the mandatory years the retention is required. This is IT systems 101 type stuff and I provide this service to several small and midsized accounting firms. These companies are required by law to retain all of their data for at least 5 years. If they don't it's punishable by 20 years in prison and heavy fines under Sarbanes Oxley specifically so you bet your bacon they do it.
The Federal Government has the same retention policy and I believe it's even more arduous, especially when it comes to email communications.

The emails that were in play with the IRS scandal all were within the last few years. Those emails resided on their enterprise mail environment of the IRS which will be a very large and robust system due to the size of the IRS. This system would be backed up nightly and securely archived offsite. It would be IT malpractice for it to be any other way and virtually every company with 50 or more employees does this today.  If the emails were between the IRS and the White House then the White House also would have a record of the emails that could be recovered.

I don't really need my tinfoil hat on this one because it couldn't be more obvious that the emails were intentionally deleted and the backups destroyed.  For somebody to intentionally and so obviously violate the law sure gives the outward appearance that those emails had some really bad stuff in them that was far more damaging than the penalty for destruction of the data.  This could potentially and quite likely will land some people in jail.  The question is who destroyed them and under whose orders.

2014-06-19 12:35 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Master
Denver

Originally posted by tuwood

Nobody in any corporate environment after 2000 uses an email system that has your emails "only reside on your computer".  There is no possible way a "computer crash" or "hard drive failure" could lead to a loss of email.

Any corporate and especially government organization that has a mandatory email retention policy has to have a redundant server side email system such as Exchange where all emails reside. These emails are then backed up daily and archived offsite for the mandatory years the retention is required. This is IT systems 101 type stuff and I provide this service to several small and midsized accounting firms. These companies are required by law to retain all of their data for at least 5 years. If they don't it's punishable by 20 years in prison and heavy fines under Sarbanes Oxley specifically so you bet your bacon they do it.
The Federal Government has the same retention policy and I believe it's even more arduous, especially when it comes to email communications.

The emails that were in play with the IRS scandal all were within the last few years. Those emails resided on their enterprise mail environment of the IRS which will be a very large and robust system due to the size of the IRS. This system would be backed up nightly and securely archived offsite. It would be IT malpractice for it to be any other way and virtually every company with 50 or more employees does this today.  If the emails were between the IRS and the White House then the White House also would have a record of the emails that could be recovered.

I don't really need my tinfoil hat on this one because it couldn't be more obvious that the emails were intentionally deleted and the backups destroyed.  For somebody to intentionally and so obviously violate the law sure gives the outward appearance that those emails had some really bad stuff in them that was far more damaging than the penalty for destruction of the data.  This could potentially and quite likely will land some people in jail.  The question is who destroyed them and under whose orders.

Federal records law requires that you retain anything that has documentary value as to the workings of government, but anything like personal communications, copies of memos that everyone gets, etc, can be deleted.  When we were on Lotus Notes (up until a year or two ago)  it was up to each individual employee to retain the appropriate emails and archive them occasionally (usually once or twice a year depending on how many emails you get) or print them.  As long as a message was still in Lotus Notes it would be automatically backed up, but any emails that didn't get archived (packaged and saved as a file full of emails) and never made it off your computer would be deleted forever when you cleaned things out of Lotus Notes.  Of course whoever you sent the email to would have a copy of it too even if it was deleted from your machine.  I have no idea what email service the IRS uses and my guess is that the White House email is different and just everything is saved (though if I remember right, a whole bunch went missing during that whole Scooter Libby scandal so who knows), but it's entirely possible that emails could be lost without having to have some giant conspiracy involving the destroying of backups.  All someone would have to do is store the archives on their computer and have their computer crash, although if the recipient still had the email, you'd be able to get it from them.  At least if they were using an email program like that.  We've since switched in our department.

2014-06-19 1:55 PM
in reply to: drewb8

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Anything over a month old is stored locally on my machine using outlook.
2014-06-19 5:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by drewb8

Originally posted by tuwood

Federal records law requires that you retain anything that has documentary value as to the workings of government, but anything like personal communications, copies of memos that everyone gets, etc, can be deleted.  When we were on Lotus Notes (up until a year or two ago)  it was up to each individual employee to retain the appropriate emails and archive them occasionally (usually once or twice a year depending on how many emails you get) or print them.  As long as a message was still in Lotus Notes it would be automatically backed up, but any emails that didn't get archived (packaged and saved as a file full of emails) and never made it off your computer would be deleted forever when you cleaned things out of Lotus Notes.  Of course whoever you sent the email to would have a copy of it too even if it was deleted from your machine.  I have no idea what email service the IRS uses and my guess is that the White House email is different and just everything is saved (though if I remember right, a whole bunch went missing during that whole Scooter Libby scandal so who knows), but it's entirely possible that emails could be lost without having to have some giant conspiracy involving the destroying of backups.  All someone would have to do is store the archives on their computer and have their computer crash, although if the recipient still had the email, you'd be able to get it from them.  At least if they were using an email program like that.  We've since switched in our department.

Like I said, anyone using email past 2000.  I think the last company that installed Lotus Notes was in the late 90's.   lol, just kidding.

It boils down to the retention policy that the organization is under and if emails are considered an item worth retaining.  For example, under Sarbanes Oxley it requires that all accountants who conduct an audit or review of a public reporting company that they must keep all audit and review workpapers for a period of five years from the end of the fiscal period in which they conduct an audit or review.  It's a Felony Offense if they simply don't have the files.  It doesn't say they have to keep emails, but there's not a single accounting customer of mine whose willing to take the chance.
Therefore they implement their email system so that 100% of email is retained.  Even deleted email is retained and backed up offsite.

You can absolutely set up systems that allow for local copies that aren't sync'd to a server and you can even set up a system that never retains anything on the server.

So, it really boils down to the true requirements of the IRS when it comes to retention of email which would determine weather or not they are supposed to have a system in place to keep them or not.

Here's their actual policy from the website:  http://www.irs.gov/irm/part1/irm_01-010-003.html

1.10.3.2.3 (07-08-2011)
Emails as Possible Federal Records 

1. All federal employees and federal contractors are required by law to preserve records containing adequate and proper documentation of the organization, functions, policies, decisions, procedures, and essential transactions of the agency. Records must be properly stored and preserved, available for retrieval and subject to appropriate approved disposition schedules.

2. The Federal Records Act applies to email records just as it does to records you create using other media. Emails are records when they are:

• Created or received in the transaction of agency business

• Appropriate for preservation as evidence of the government’s function and activities, or

• Valuable because of the information they contain

3. If you create or receive email messages during the course of your daily work, you are responsible for ensuring that you manage them properly. The Treasury Department’s current email policy requires emails and attachments that meet the definition of a federal record be added to the organization’s files by printing them (including the essential transmission data) and filing them with related paper records. If transmission and receipt data are not printed by the email system, annotate the paper copy. More information on IRS records management requirements is available at 

4. An email determined to be a federal record may eventually be considered as having historical value by the National Archivist prior to disposal. Therefore, ensure that all your communications are professional in tone.

5. Please note that maintaining a copy of an email or its attachments within the IRS email MS Outlook application does not meet the requirements of maintaining an official record. Therefore, print and file email and its attachments if they are either permanent records or if they relate to a specific case.

Not only are they supposed to retain the emails, but they're supposed to print them out and keep a printed copy.

Even the current IRS commissioner confirmed that emails are stored on servers in his testimony and he mentioned that's why it was taking so long (this was before the mysterious crash in 2011 that just now amazingly told to the panel.  Nobody at the IRS is denying that they weren't supposed to retain the emails either.

So, this is either one of the most egregious failures in basic IT 101 or somebody intentionally went out and deleted/destroyed the emails and their backups.

Now, I of course have no clue what is in the emails and it is just conspiracy theory junk to say that it was intentional to hide X Y or Z.  However, I will go so far as say that it is very "suspicoius" given the political nature of their admitted actions and the timing of this new revelation.  If, and it is a big "if" the executive branch of government invoked the IRS to try and squelch the 1st amendment rights of people whom they did not agree with, that is HUGE.

If they didn't and these emails were truly just lost by some series of IT incompetencies then it's a travesty because they could use it as vindication that there was no conversations form the White House or Justice Department.

Edited by tuwood 2014-06-19 5:54 PM

2014-06-19 6:01 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by chirunner134 Anything over a month old is stored locally on my machine using outlook.

That's a policy that your sys admin can implement.  It's very common to save on disk storage space on the server.

For example, at my last job which had about 45000 employees, we imposed a 10G mailbox limit which only gave you enough room to store about a month or two worth of email.  We then enabled auto archiving in outlook to replicate it locally every month to prevent mailboxes from filling up on the server, similar to your situation.

The big difference is we chose to set it up that way (for costs) and had no legal requirement whatsoever to retain any emails.

Here at my company I have no legal obligation either but we have a ton of storage space available, so we don't limit mailbox sizes.  I started the business in 2009 and have over 150,000 emails dating back to my very first test email.  They're all stored on our exchange server here in the office that gets replicated to another server in our datacenter.  We then have a nightly backup that runs off the datacenter server that stores everything remotely (or in the cloud as they like to say).

I'm just a tiny company with 9 employees without a mandated retention policy, but I could produce any email every sent/received from any employee at my company in the last 5 years.  The IRS is one of the most important government organizations we have and they have a mandated retention policy.  I truly find it hard to believe that they're doing less than my little 9 person company.

2014-06-20 9:13 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Gotta agree with TUWOOD.  First we know they use Outlook (meaning Exchange).  And we know they have a Federally mandated retention policy.  I would bet that if you gave an IT professional like tuwood access, he would find the emails by the end of the day.  And I'd be willing to bet that there are employees at the IRS that could do so.   My first thought is we are asking the wrong people (Exec./Manager) and should really start bringing the employees who actually do the work and understand the IT environment to answer questions.

I'm sorry but thinking that these emails are truly gone is putting your head in the sand.  And if we know that there were emails to the WH and Justice department, let's get the emails from them.  I'm sure they have an IT person with enough clearance, who probably manages the servers in the first place, that could filter out all emails from Lois, and provide them.  But the WH and DOJ are choosing not to provide this information.

Just my $.02

2014-06-20 9:23 AM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Not the only administration to have missing emails. Not saying it is right, nor am I saying that since past ones did it it is ok that this one is doing it.  Just pointing out this is by far new.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/wp/2014/06/18/a-history-of-the-federal-governments-lost-emails/ 

2014-06-20 10:05 AM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by velocomp

Gotta agree with TUWOOD.  First we know they use Outlook (meaning Exchange).  And we know they have a Federally mandated retention policy.  I would bet that if you gave an IT professional like tuwood access, he would find the emails by the end of the day.  And I'd be willing to bet that there are employees at the IRS that could do so.   My first thought is we are asking the wrong people (Exec./Manager) and should really start bringing the employees who actually do the work and understand the IT environment to answer questions.

I'm sorry but thinking that these emails are truly gone is putting your head in the sand.  And if we know that there were emails to the WH and Justice department, let's get the emails from them.  I'm sure they have an IT person with enough clearance, who probably manages the servers in the first place, that could filter out all emails from Lois, and provide them.  But the WH and DOJ are choosing not to provide this information.

Just my $.02

Well someone (Issa I think??) did ask the NSA to go in and retrieve the emails. I'm sure they could do it in a blink.
2014-06-20 10:25 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by crowny2

Not the only administration to have missing emails. Not saying it is right, nor am I saying that since past ones did it it is ok that this one is doing it.  Just pointing out this is by far new.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/wp/2014/06/18/a-history-of-the-federal-governments-lost-emails/ 

Yeah, there's no question that people on both sides of the political spectrum are guilty of this and even non-government entities.  That's why they create the laws with the teeth to "prevent" it.  Unfortunately, our lawmakers on both sides of the aisle seem to feel they're above the law in most situations.  :-/

The whole digital age is such a unique thing when it comes to "destroying" information.  It used to be that you could just burn a letter or picture and it was just gone.
People don't often realize how far and wide information goes these days, even outside of the whole NSA type snooping.   As an example, when I take a picture on my phone, it puts it on the memory card, it then syncs to my google+ backup, as well as my dropbox account.
My dropbox account then syncs everything to my PC, my iPad, my nexus tablet etc.  My PC syncs to our servers in the office, and our servers in the office are backed up/replicated to our datacenter servers which are then backed up to our offsite cloud backup.

I'm a pretty smart techie guy and it would be really difficult for me to truly delete a simple picture I took that couldn't be forensically recovered from somewhere.  This is just one simple example which systems that I control.  However, when you throw in whatever backend mechanisms that track/log the information into the mix it gets even deeper.

So, the moral of the story, if I take a picture that I shouldn't be taking it's quite difficult to delete it everywhere.  lol

Same thing for government/corporate entities that send emails they shouldn't be sending.  It's really difficult to truly delete them everywhere.  

2014-06-20 10:27 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by JoshR
Originally posted by velocomp

Just my $.02

Well someone (Issa I think??) did ask the NSA to go in and retrieve the emails. I'm sure they could do it in a blink.

Total hypothetical, but that would be the most ironic thing ever if the NSA retrieved embarrassing/incriminating emails to take down some big government dudes.  I might even have to change my opinion slightly on the NSA program.  lol

2014-06-20 11:00 AM
in reply to: 0

New user
What I really find disturbing but not surprising is there is really no person with any integrity associated with the IRS scandal. There has not been any person speak up or hand over emails received from Lerner. I am so fed up with the who bunch in wash. that I may just not vote any more. They are all the same and I don't believe that voting can turn this giant spending, regulating, taxing, corrupt ship around. I am to the point where I don't have faith in our system anymore.

Edited by NXS 2014-06-20 11:03 AM
2014-06-20 12:08 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by NXS

What I really find disturbing but not surprising is there is really no person with any integrity associated with the IRS scandal. There has not been any person speak up or hand over emails received from Lerner. I am so fed up with the who bunch in wash. that I may just not vote any more. They are all the same and I don't believe that voting can turn this giant spending, regulating, taxing, corrupt ship around. I am to the point where I don't have faith in our system anymore.

I lost my faith long ago and I'm not even 30 yet (not until November). I just vote to unseat everyone I can.
2014-06-20 5:24 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by NXS What I really find disturbing but not surprising is there is really no person with any integrity associated with the IRS scandal. There has not been any person speak up or hand over emails received from Lerner. I am so fed up with the who bunch in wash. that I may just not vote any more. They are all the same and I don't believe that voting can turn this giant spending, regulating, taxing, corrupt ship around. I am to the point where I don't have faith in our system anymore.
I lost my faith long ago and I'm not even 30 yet (not until November). I just vote to unseat everyone I can.

Lost your faith in what?

2014-06-20 5:40 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

Originally posted by NXS What I really find disturbing but not surprising is there is really no person with any integrity associated with the IRS scandal. There has not been any person speak up or hand over emails received from Lerner. I am so fed up with the who bunch in wash. that I may just not vote any more. They are all the same and I don't believe that voting can turn this giant spending, regulating, taxing, corrupt ship around. I am to the point where I don't have faith in our system anymore.

Lost your faith in what?

American democracy.

2014-06-20 7:10 PM

User image

Pro

Lost your faith in what?

American democracy.

It doesn't work any differently now than it ever did.......but nothing goes unnoticed or uncovered anymore.  If you want to see political corruption at it's best go back to the heyday of unions.

I know that every generation thinks the ones behind are screwed up and ruining America, and blah,blah,blah.....but yours, Josh, is probably one of the first who sees the current situation as so screwed up.  It's information overload.  The world is changing, but America's place in the world hasn't changed much, and neither has our form of govt.  50 years ago it was communism, now it's radical muslims.  Do you think the folks during the depression had any faith in our govt., our banks? 

The more things change the more they stay the same.  You can be full of doom and gloom, you can lose faith in everything around you, or you can chose to make the most/best of your life and enjoy all it has to offer.

I have faith in people.....the rest is just noise.

2014-06-21 8:00 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Veteran
College Station, Texas
Originally posted by crowny2

This is why I cant stomach politics and why I think we need to clean house, it seems no longer that wrong is wrong , hey the other side did it first so that makes it ok, dont we teach our kids very early in life that two wrongs dont make a right, when will we as a people call for a stop to this??
2014-06-23 10:41 AM
in reply to: PhilipRay

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

So now we find out there ARE backups of the emails.  And they fired the backup company right after the first HD "crash" (liberal use of quotes).

http://freedomoutpost.com/2014/06/bombshell-irs-fired-back-company-sonasoft-shortly-lois-lerners-computer-crashed/

I wonder if Sonasoft kept copies or not?  I hope Congress is firing off a subpoena as we speak.

And where is the President on this?  Why no pressure to get o the bottom of a obviously a)corrupt or b)inept organization?

2014-06-23 10:50 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by TriRSquared

So now we find out there ARE backups of the emails.  And they fired the backup company right after the first HD "crash" (liberal use of quotes).

http://freedomoutpost.com/2014/06/bombshell-irs-fired-back-company-sonasoft-shortly-lois-lerners-computer-crashed/

I wonder if Sonasoft kept copies or not?  I hope Congress is firing off a subpoena as we speak.

And where is the President on this?  Why no pressure to get o the bottom of a obviously a)corrupt or b)inept organization?

Interesting development for sure.

From an outsourcing standpoint, when we have a customer who no longer retains our backup services we will destroy their backup data and often have to provide a certificate of destruction so they have proof that we no longer have any of their "potentially sensitive" customer data.

We would never retain backup data for a customer who is no longer paying for our services, simply because it takes up a lot of space and costs me money to keep it.    The backup outsourcer is also under no obligation to retain anything because that falls upon the company/entity itself.

Typically the way it works is the company simply transfers their old backups to their new provider because they still have the same legal retention requirement.  It really doesn't matter how or with whom they store they data, they just have to retain it.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » More missing IRS emails Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Miss Kansas Pages: 1 2

Started by DanielG
Views: 4161 Posts: 48

2013-09-30 9:26 AM tuwood

'Create education better' to solve income inequality: Miss Utah Pages: 1 2

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 3069 Posts: 27

2013-06-21 2:28 PM switch

IRS Scandal

Started by JoshR
Views: 922 Posts: 4

2013-06-04 8:13 AM DanielG

Miss Universe Canada Typo Awards Crown To Wrong Contestant

Started by DanielG
Views: 855 Posts: 1

2013-05-31 7:28 AM DanielG

IRS To Tea Party: Sorry We Targeted You And Your Tax Status Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by DanielG
Views: 8172 Posts: 95

2013-07-19 12:03 PM tuwood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : November 9, 2006
author : gsmacleod
comments : 3
Many times a missed workout leads to undue stress and frustration which can adversely affect athletic performance and day-to-day life. Here are some tips to deal with the inevitable missed workout.