World Triathlon Corporation
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 09m 33s
Overall Rank = 250/1554
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 44/172
Pre-race routine:

Cereal, banana, and protein bar at my cousins in downtown Denver. 30 minute drive to the Rez. Got set up in transition, kept agonizing over forgetting something but it was all good.
Event warmup:

Didn't do any running, just did some arm-stretching and shoulder rolls to get ready for the swim. Didn't do any warm-up laps in the beach area either, wanted to save my energy. Had a Gatorade Prime 30 min before start. T
Swim
  • 32m 58s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

I ended up starting at the front of my wave (M40-44 was divided into two waves, mine was the second). A few guys shot out real fast and I tried drafting, but lost those guys quickly and couldn't find someone that worked for me the rest of the way. Sighting was pretty good, I only got off course once after the 1st turn. Minimal contact. Gatorade prime didn't sit so well and had a small upchuck/belch on the final stretch. First time that's ever happened. My cousin told me I was the 5th or 6th in my wave out of the water (I guess the fast swimmers were all in the first wave!). Set a PR by over 1 minute.
What would you do differently?:

Go out a little harder and see how long I could have hung with the other guys, maybe drafting would have allowed me to stay with them longer.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

I felt like I was fumbling and expected to see a lousy split. Imagine my surprise when I saw it was 2:20 after the race. Didn't have shoes clipped in to pedals since it was tight quarters on the rack. First time in a race with my aero helmet, but no issues with it or anything else.

Not sure, but I know there's improvement to be had here.
Bike
  • 2h 46m 34s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.17 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a challenge because my HR monitor wasn't reading accurately. I had to gauge my zones by feel and cadence. I stuck to my plan and took it easy up the first 10 miles. I was actually slower going up than I was when I rode that portion on Thursday for the first time. Stuck to the nutrition plan: had half a Bonk Breaker at 30 min, the rest at 1hr, and GUs every 30 min after. My right quad was acting up and I took an ibuprofen around mile 25 to see if it would help. Around mile 30 I hit a zone - just got locked in and started powering through. Not grinding it out or anything, it just felt effortless. The discomfort was still there, but not as much, Minimal wind made for a great ride. Toes were very cold though - should have put on socks. Could have passed a few more riders on the final road coming back in, but there was car traffic crowding us and I couldn't pass safely. I forgot how quick the dismount line came up - had my right foot out of the shoe but couldn't get the left out. Ended up unclipping right before the line and then taking it off and running into T2 with one shoe still clipped in and the other in my hand.

Got to keep improving. My goal was to avg 20 mph, I just need to get stronger and find more power somewhere. Given my current level on the bike, I doubt there's anything I could have done differently or better except putting on socks.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Running in with one shoe in my hand was different! Rude rack neighbors had left me NO SPACE to put mine, so I shoved their bikes down to make room quickly (really people? REALLY?!? After I helped you guys in the morning?) First time doing the bike with no socks, so fumbled just a bit with those and one of my shoes.

Heard about talcum powder in socks to help. Might try that next weekend. Not too shabby, might have been quicker had I not been flustered with the one-shoe incident at the bike dismount.
Run
  • 1h 46m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Saw friends and family heading out of T2 right away for a great boost. Reminded myself to go easy, casual. After 1/4 mile I looked at my pace: 7:15. YIKES! Slow down, slow down, I kept telling myself. First few splits were faster but started getting under control. The hills helped slow me down. The splits started getting slower instead of faster. I told myself if I could keep them all just under 8 min I'd be thrilled. But on the second loop I had to walk three times, so the splits were slower than they could have been. I don't know if it was lack of nutrition or that I pushed so hard or both. No real pain, just couldn't deliver the whole way through. I still find it hard to eat on the run, but did the best I could. Had a few oranges on the first loop that were ok, had one Roctane on the second and it was tough to get down. Got that 'sugar stomach' my coach warned me about. Maybe another ibuprofen near the end of the bike or start of the run could have helped. At mile 11 I knew where my time was and soon realized a sub-1:45 was going to be just out of reach, so I slowed down and was happy to finish under 1:50. Had enough for a solid finish coming down the chute, worked the crowd and gave high-5s to anyone who wanted them.

I have to remember to go out slower. Another ibuprofen may have helped. I have to figure out how to get the nutrition I need because gels aren't doing it for me anymore.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt great after crossing the line. I had a water right away, chatted with family and friends and sat down for a bit before heading to the food tent. After a couple slices of pizza, chips and a soda, went to my cousins' car for a few celebratory beers.

I wasn't sure where my transitions were, but I knew based on the other splits I should have been under 5:20. When I stopped my Garmin and saw 5:09 I almost fell over. I couldn't believe it. I had a secret goal of close to 5 hours, but knew I would have to run a flawless race to achieve it. Now it doesn't seem so far-fetched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I still need to get better on the bike and figure out nutrition on the run. Those are my target areas for the rest of the season. This was this race I knew I was capable of running. Like I just said, I now believe I can do this distance under 5 hours.

The wild-card I can't come to a conclusion on is the altitude. I currently live in Iowa, but have lived in Salt Lake City before and spend at least 2 weeks in the mountains every year. Never had altitude sickness in my life or noticed any effects of it. Do I acclimate faster than others? Could I do even better at a lower altitude? I'll have a better idea when Racine rolls around next month.

Event comments:

I really liked this course. Wasn't crazy about the run, but given the location it's probably the best option with minimal interference on the community. I'd put it in my Top 3 in terms of the volunteers and course. VERY disappointed there was no chocolate milk to be found afterwards. Pizza was just ok.

Last updated: 2014-04-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:58 | 2112 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 27/172
Overall: 206/1554
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Full
Course: Modified triangle, two right-turn buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:20
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:46:34 | 56 miles | 20.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 61/172
Overall: 357/1554
Wind: Little
Course: Single loop, long climb at the beginning then long, gradual descent. Some rollers around 35-40 then mostly flat to the finish.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:46:11 | 13.1 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 44/172
Overall: 250/1554
Course: 2 loop course on mostly gravel roads. Two climbs on each loop for 4 total.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-17 8:17 PM

User image

New user

Des Moines, Iowa
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boulder

2014-06-18 9:20 AM
in reply to: #5013847

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boulder
Nice race for you...congrats! Nutrition is always tricky. I really try to eat one the bike and only take fluids on the run...amybe a one gel. Anyway...I've been doing this for years and i look at it if I can get through without dehydration I've been successful. Anyway, solid performance all around for you. Next time your be under 5-hours!
2014-06-18 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Great race!

Altitude is always tough, but you ran a solid race all around.

Congrats!

Matt

2014-06-18 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Great Race! Strong run after you settled down.
2014-06-19 6:33 AM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

Camden, NC
Very fast! Keep hammering and you will be sub 5 for sure.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boulder Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Boulder

Started by islandertek
Views: 1731 Posts: 1

2010-08-17 12:06 PM islandertek

Ironman 70.3 Boulder

Started by llamaface
Views: 1725 Posts: 1

2010-08-15 2:29 AM llamaface

Ironman 70.3 Boulder

Started by acefaser
Views: 2627 Posts: 7

2010-08-17 12:18 PM acefaser

Ironman 70.3 Boulder

Started by trimama530
Views: 2966 Posts: 9

2010-08-12 9:54 PM trimama530

Ironman 70.3 Boulder

Started by tribean
Views: 2649 Posts: 5

2010-08-11 3:02 AM tribean
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.