General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor Trainer Low HR Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-18 11:53 AM

User image

Subject: Indoor Trainer Low HR
I have been using an indoor trainer for about a month now, and have been doing HR based workouts after finding my LT. A typical workout is a 15 minute warm-up, some interval work at 170 bpm, spinning for about 15 mins at 155-160 BPM, then finish with 5 mins at 165-170 followed by a cool down. Everything has been going well with the workouts, however, the last two workouts, I just cannot get my HR up above 160. My power numbers are slowly rising (average power has risen about 8 watts) but when i get into an interval my heart rate just wont rise. I increase the power with the hopes of increasing my HR which works a little, but eventually RMP drops below 80, so I decrease the power. Now to get to my questions:

1) Why is there such a drop in my heartrate? I used to have no problem getting it up to 170 or higher, and my outdoor rides I can get it that high still.
2) Should I drop the power once RPM drops below 80, or should I let RPM keep dropping? How far should I let RPM drop?
3) The limiting factor seems to be leg strength, however, my average power output is rising, is it normal that when aerobic fitness improves, strength becomes the limiting element?

Thanks in advance for all the responses, I really just want to make sure that I am not going to screw anything up if I keep training like this.

2014-06-18 1:26 PM
in reply to: itsbs2

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Indoor Trainer Low HR

8 watts is a solid improvement, so congrats on that!  If you have a means of measuring power, then why are you gauging effort off heart rate?

2014-06-21 1:57 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Originally posted by msteiner

8 watts is a solid improvement, so congrats on that!  If you have a means of measuring power, then why are you gauging effort off heart rate?

Thanks! I am using heart rate vs. power because continued access to power measurement isnt always available to me. When it is not available, having the heart rate numbers is useful. I am about 50/50 on being able to train with power vs. hr.
2014-06-22 2:37 PM
in reply to: itsbs2

I don't use an indoor trainer, but have a spin bike...and something you might like, is the Spinervals series. It is hosted by Coach Troy Jacobsen who is a tri and IM coach. His cycling workouts are tremendous...just tossing the idea out there if you are looking for some interesting indoor cycling training routines.

Nice work!!
2014-07-03 1:07 PM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
What is your power source? There could be calibration/setup issues if you're using Virtual Power or some other derived method.

Even if you're using real power, i.e. Power Tap, Quarc, etc there can be calibration issues there as well. A local studio I use has real power meters on their spin bikes, but once in a while they need to reset their bikes. It will read high enough to make it looks like I'm killing the workout, and really only working 3/4 effort-wise.

When you've gotten the low HR, does it feel like it's a lower effort?

Some of this could also just be your heart getting better/stronger, combined with fitness, your body not needing as much Oxygen to do the same work.

Or a combination of the above...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor Trainer Low HR Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HR Gurus, what is going on with my HR???

Started by Kermat89
Views: 1568 Posts: 3

2014-02-19 4:08 PM Aysel

My illusion of flexibility dispelled (getting lower on the tri bike)

Started by Acee
Views: 850 Posts: 1

2011-05-13 12:01 PM Acee

Newbie Trainer Training HR Questions

Started by Acee
Views: 1190 Posts: 3

2011-04-19 11:12 AM Acee

Spinning versus Indoor Trainer

Started by jamesj7373
Views: 2405 Posts: 4

2010-01-08 11:39 AM jamesj7373

spin bike vs indoor training?

Started by Coucoui 6
Views: 6960 Posts: 15

2009-12-18 12:47 PM trotpntbll
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
There is a serious, devoted athlete, committed to the task of triathlon. He is happy because his heart rate is low, his blood lactate is low and his chances in this year’s Kona lottery is high.

date : January 25, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
This article will discuss the differences between TrainerRoad and PowerTap's power numbers and how to best use each of them.
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : November 5, 2010
author : FitWerx
Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.