General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri and Rhumatoid Arthritis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-18 2:04 PM

Subject: Tri and Rhumatoid Arthritis
I came to the decision to go for my first Tri in October this year. I am excited, but need a little help with something. I have RA and have for 13 years. I manage it with medication and stay very active. I currently play soccer 4 nights a week. I am not opposed to working through pain, but there are days when I just can't train.
I am wanting to know if there are some exercises I can do at home that would be gentle, but still keep me some what active. I am also battling my Left IT Band. I have a PT working on it, but any advice on this nasty little band would be greatly appreciated.

2014-06-19 11:03 AM
in reply to: Music1618

User image

Subject: RE: Tri and Rhumatoid Arthritis
Originally posted by Music1618

I came to the decision to go for my first Tri in October this year. I am excited, but need a little help with something. I have RA and have for 13 years. I manage it with medication and stay very active. I currently play soccer 4 nights a week. I am not opposed to working through pain, but there are days when I just can't train.
I am wanting to know if there are some exercises I can do at home that would be gentle, but still keep me some what active. I am also battling my Left IT Band. I have a PT working on it, but any advice on this nasty little band would be greatly appreciated.

how about swimming or aquajogging on the days when you need to take it easy and save your bike/runs for days when you are feeling better?
2014-08-05 9:20 PM
in reply to: #5014309

User image

Regular
Fort Myers, FL
Subject: RE: Tri and Rhumatoid Arthritis
I would suggest the book Nightshade Free, Pain Free. I have joint inflammation similar to pre-arthritis and from doing an elimination diet, have since found I have a nightshade food allergy (tomatoes, potatoes and all peppers). The nightshade allergy causes joint inflammation and from all the blogs I've read and the nightshade free book, my pain is now only caused when I eat night shades. If you can't find the book, at least google nightshade free. It's worth a try and I've been on the journey for a year now and feel much better. Hope this helps.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri and Rhumatoid Arthritis Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Arthritis in the knee ?

Started by gbgice
Views: 1354 Posts: 6

2008-04-06 9:44 AM browntown

Arthritis knees still trying to run wanna chat

Started by journey
Views: 687 Posts: 2

2007-05-04 3:13 AM markz

Arthritis anyone?

Started by schamtastic
Views: 631 Posts: 1

2007-04-19 10:19 AM schamtastic

Training with Arthritis

Started by spultz
Views: 920 Posts: 6

2007-02-27 2:32 AM catsmad

Arthritis in the Knee

Started by fcarter389
Views: 2118 Posts: 15

2004-12-13 5:22 PM RGRBILL
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 11, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Is my childhood groin injury to blame for my recent pain while running? It just hurts when I'm running, not during day to day activities.

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : April 9, 2007
I realized my 50 mile/week running career was over. Now what? I was only 30 years old. I did what I could to stay active – switched to biking and swimming.

date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.
date : December 18, 2006
Are there other triathletes who have compensated for lack of running due to arthritis? How is that done or how is it managed?

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : September 4, 2004
author : adumey
Willing yourself to train despite the seemingly endless distractions that cross your path and the inner-voices of self-doubt is inspiring.

date : September 4, 2004
author : adumey
The start down the road to a Half Ironman.