General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are these leg cramps? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-19 7:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: Are these leg cramps?
I've never had a problem with cramping, but this year I think I might. When I'm running (especially uphill) after a few minutes my calves feel very tight and achy. It starts to hurt more and more, and if I walk for a minute or less I'm OK to run again for a few minutes. Once in a while I get a similar feeling in my hamstrings. I've had no problems running uphill.
Once in a while I feel a similar thing while biking but if I concentrate on engaging my quads it goes away.
So does that sound like leg cramps? If so, what can I do about it?

2014-06-19 9:01 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: RE: Are these leg cramps?
oops, I meant no problems running downhill. The cramps mainly happen uphill, or on a MUP if I'm on a bit of a grade and try to go fast.
2014-06-19 9:52 PM

Sounds like cramps to me.

I used to get them all the time. My muscles would actually ball up though. My leg would literally look and feel like I had a large gumball under my skin, and I would be lucky to move. For me they were debilitating. I would literally not be able to move my foot because the cramp would tighten my calf so much my to would point up and massaging intensely was the only way to regain control of my foot. I only had this happen after long runs or after officiating several soccer matches, but when they hit, I was toast.

I was told to try adding a magnesium pill along with my multivitamin. I also add potassium in the form of a banana right before a long run, or after my first soccer match. These two things have completely stopped the major, sudden, debilitating cramps. I still on occasion get minor cramps like you are describing, but it is very rare. I'm no doctor or nutritionist, so take the advice for what it is... Me sharing my experience.

Good Luck, and find an answer now before you get really bad cramps. They can be extremely painful.
2014-06-20 10:10 AM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
Need more information to be sure.

It could be slight cramping or it could be one of a hundred other things.

You said that it happens worst when running downhill?
Running down hill puts a large eccentric load onto your muscles, which actually causes more stress/damage to them.

If this is something that's new you need to evaluate what has changed since they started:

Are you running faster/slower?
Is your gait changing?
Did you recently have an injury?
Has your diet changed?
Has the time of day you run in relation to meals/hydration changed?
More over all life stress?
Are you running more hills now than you used to?
New shoes??!!
Is it much hotter now than when you've ran in the past?
Have you changed your stretching/warmup/cooldown routine?

2014-06-20 2:02 PM
in reply to: drdking

User image

Veteran
As someone who gets the debilitating version of these rather frequently (aka crazy muscle spasm forming cramp in some part of the leg/foot at 3am), my initial reaction to the post title was "If you aren't sure, then no they aren't!". After reading I'm a bit clearer, and it sounds like what I call "precursors" - those little twitches/soreness in a muscle that lets you know that the big daddy is coming if you don't back off.
2014-06-20 2:29 PM
in reply to: CycloneVM

New user
Originally posted by CycloneVM
"precursors" - those little twitches/soreness in a muscle that lets you know that the big daddy is coming if you don't back off.
Which are great to start feeling when you're 20 miles from home on the bike!

2014-06-20 10:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
OK, thanks for the replies. I know it's very hard to describe these feelings!
It seems like they happen more in the calves- does anyone know why that is? (And not in, say, the glutes?)
I will add in a magnesium supplement- seems like there is little risk to taking one pill/ day. I have pretty much cut out processed foods/ eating out recently, so possibly I'm getting less salt (although I eat a bowl of popcorn with a ton of salt almost every day). I also used to eat half a banana at breakfast but had cut that out to cut down on the overall sugar in my diet. I'll add in a banana too.
So far no debilitating cramps but my first tri of the season is next weekend, so I hope these measures take care of it!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are these leg cramps? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Leg Cramps (inside of leg above knee)

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 5539 Posts: 10

2012-04-02 5:13 PM tri808

Weird Lower Leg Cramps while Swimming?

Started by Shaved_Wookie
Views: 2022 Posts: 12

2005-12-29 8:08 AM amiine

CRAMP.....CRAMP......CRAMP.....

Started by riser
Views: 1165 Posts: 4

2004-11-07 9:59 PM NoisyD

leg cramps

Started by jlusk
Views: 619 Posts: 6

2004-07-06 9:12 AM jlusk

cramp in both legs while swimming

Started by ginger ninja
Views: 1320 Posts: 9

2004-05-15 8:46 PM vmax3000
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 30, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
As I was pulling my wetsuit off while standing in the water, my left calf cramped such that my foot was pointed, the muscle was rock hard, and I could not pull my foot out of point for 30 seconds.

date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
Life and training are a lot easier without hair
date : November 23, 2009
author : mikericci
At the midpoint of the run I felt my calves start to cramp. How do I improve my cramping resistance and are there any extra training or exercise for me to improve on?

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : May 5, 2008
author : marmadaddy
comments : 26
Men! Need to find out the best way to shave your legs? This video will compare 6 different leg shaving products to show male triathletes how to shave their legs.

date : September 17, 2007
Muscle cramps occur in 67% of triathletes. This article discusses several theories on the causes of cramps and what to do if you get one and how to prevent cramps.
date : May 21, 2007
comments : 2
Not all cramping is training-related. The causes of muscle cramping and the diagnosis of restless leg syndrome including some medical and non-medical treatments.

date : July 3, 2006
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.