General Discussion Triathlon Talk » In need of a fitness tracker/watch thing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-19 10:26 PM

Subject: In need of a fitness tracker/watch thing
Essentially, I'll find a product that has one or two things, and not everything I'm looking for. Or, it's great for swimming, but nothing else. Great for running, but nothing else.

I want something that will work well for biking, running and swimming. I want to be able to track my fitness improvements, but as it stands if I use something for one sport, something for another sport-it gets cumbersome to track my actual progress overall.

EDIT: Also, something that is in the $200-$300 range

Is/Does:
-Water resistant/proof
-Tracks laps/lengths/ or distance in swimming
-Can set for time/distance/pace of running and biking (having them be recognized as separate things, or can change the activity as a different thing when outputted)
-Output this to an independent app (doesn't need to be wireless)
-Tells the time

Would be okay if, but not necessary if it:
-Has HR output
-Calorie output
-Counts "steps"

Don't want:
-I don't want something that syncs to other apps on my phone like map my fitness, or other fitness tracker apps like that. I have a crummy phone, that dies a lot.

Any and all ideas would be fabulous.

Edited by Aly_mc 2014-06-19 10:32 PM

2014-06-19 11:14 PM
in reply to: Aly_mc

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: In need of a fitness tracker/watch thing

If you want a trisport watch- here's the list

Garmin:

310xt (large, outdated, but still a solid competitor)

910xt (fully featured.  not cheap)

Fenix2 (really really fully featured.  better packaging than the 910.  not cheap)

TomTom:

Multisport

Multisport Cardio (built in HR monitor... very cool- you don't need to wear a separate chest strap)

Suunto

Ambit 2 (comes in the regular, S and R versions)

The Ambit 2S is on sale at Clever training for $219.  That's a steal- as it is legitimately a $400 trisport watch that will do everything.  very stable, nicely packaged.

Polar:  v800

still needs some firmware upgrades.  It's the only one that, right now, will also be a fitness tracker for, as well as swim/bike/run, but other than that, is still lacking a number of features to make it competitive with the Fenix or Ambits.  Nicely packaged tho'.  

dcrainmaker.com is your source for info.  

2014-06-20 12:11 PM
in reply to: morey000

You are amazing! I heard about Garmin/Tom Tom, but not the others. Thanks so much!
2014-07-07 7:42 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

New user
Paso Robles, CA
great info., so glad you put a link to that site!
2014-07-08 6:20 AM
in reply to: Aly_mc

User image

Thanks for the sale tip on the Suunto Ambit 2! I had this morning just purchased a Garmin 310XT, but after I saw the tip I cancelled the order and got the Ambit 2. I was going with the 310XT even though it didn't have all the functions I wanted (and 910XT was out of my price range). Ambit 2 seems to be a good fit for what I want at a price I can swallow.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » In need of a fitness tracker/watch thing Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

garmin forerunners vs other less expensive fitness watches?

Started by saongiri
Views: 2502 Posts: 9

2015-02-16 3:24 PM chayes

Need a GPS watch

Started by krashockey
Views: 1107 Posts: 4

2010-05-04 7:43 PM dcrainmaker

Need help buying my girlfriend a pedometer watch

Started by djallen22
Views: 831 Posts: 1

2010-02-22 7:31 PM djallen22

I need a watch..

Started by waskelton
Views: 817 Posts: 3

2005-01-26 5:58 PM PirateGirl

Need A Basic Watch

Started by mommy22boys
Views: 1109 Posts: 2

2005-01-10 6:13 PM JGFTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.