General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What kind of ''butters'' do you like? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-22 2:00 PM

Subject: What kind of ''butters'' do you like?
I've been liking this new almond butter, 'cinnamon raisin' flavor as of late. Added it to my pancake mix today and it was really good. Curious if you all enjoy different butters, and if you use them in recipes. This almond butter packs 14 grams of protein per 2 TBSP. Calories are on the high side so if you're trying to lean out, just beware of that.

There is a low calorie powdered peanut butter that I use for smoothies, called PB2. That's very good, and less mess than regular peanut butter. Not quite the taste of gooey peanut butter, but it definitely has a nice taste, and less calories.

2014-06-23 7:15 AM
in reply to: SGirl

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Subject: RE: What kind of ''butters'' do you like?
I make my own, I have done almond butter, my latest batch is roasted almonds with a few drops of clover honey. I usually use raw almonds sometimes with a pinch of cinnamon. I have also done cashews, I try to stay clear of peanut butters they sneak tons of garbage in the "Natural" ones. Ingrediants should be Peanuts and salt.
2014-06-23 11:42 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Well, ya can't beat real, actual butter... but Apple butter and blueberry butter are a pretty darn solid substitute; especially on pancakes!

Almond butter is super tasty, too.

2014-06-23 8:09 PM
in reply to: GotBackup

Originally posted by GotBackup

I make my own, I have done almond butter, my latest batch is roasted almonds with a few drops of clover honey. I usually use raw almonds sometimes with a pinch of cinnamon. I have also done cashews, I try to stay clear of peanut butters they sneak tons of garbage in the "Natural" ones. Ingrediants should be Peanuts and salt.
homemade? Oh that sounds amazing! How do you get the almonds into a paste though? Food processor with the honey added?
2014-06-23 8:11 PM
in reply to: cgregg

Originally posted by cgregg

Well, ya can't beat real, actual butter... but Apple butter and blueberry butter are a pretty darn solid substitute; especially on pancakes!

Almond butter is super tasty, too.

almond butter is my new fave. I like apple butter too.
I forgot about some of these flavors to add to protein smoothies!
2014-06-24 7:52 AM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Originally posted by SGirl

homemade? Oh that sounds amazing! How do you get the almonds into a paste though? Food processor with the honey added?

it gets almost pasty, a little grainy, I have also added some flax meal. I have a kitchen aid food processor and it comes out a tad dry, so I add a bit of wart water to smooth it out a bit. I have used a Cuisinart too and that seemed to get it a little more smooth. there are endless recipes out there, I might try to blanch them first and pull the skin, and soften them up a tiny bit.

2014-06-24 8:06 AM

User image

Originally posted by SGirl

you do a light roast on the almonds, throw them into a food processor, use a dash of salt and let it whirl - they will naturally turn gummy and then to a paste as they break down - you are probably going to run the food processor for 10-20 minutes depending - i've found its more on the higher end, depending on how much i'm making
2014-06-24 9:11 AM
in reply to: austhokie

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
I found it to be 18-20 mins, I also found a little warm water helps thin it down a little bit. I have added Coconut oil too, Iwill make small batches as needed, I buy the 3# bags of raw almonds from Costco.
2014-06-26 5:17 AM
in reply to: GotBackup

Regular
New York
Nutterbutter!
2014-06-26 8:43 AM

Almost forgot about Nutella! Yum!
But that's more of a "spread" not butter.
2014-06-30 3:52 PM

User image

New user
Philadelphia
I like Trader Joe's no salt Almond Butter and the Sunflower Seed Butter. I have to share that nut butters are a huge staple in my diet. I add a scoop to oatmeal, smoothies, on rice cakes, apples. Anyway for some time my go-to was TJ's PB, can't beat the price, but I read this article about how the acid from PB can slow recovery and this marathoner changed to AB and started recovering faster. Well, it did the same for me. Just sharing my experiment of one, but no more peanut butter in my house.

2014-07-03 2:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
(First thought below):

But my favorite WAS Trader Joes Valencia Peanut Butter with roasted flax seeds. Then they had that Salmonella scare at what was apparently the only plant in the country that made this stuff. It has not come back since that plant was closed.

Edited by tcj103 2014-07-03 2:17 PM

(butters stotch.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
butters stotch.jpg (15KB - 16 downloads)
2014-07-06 1:18 PM

User image

Ill second making your own nut butter- I use what ever I have on hand. Cashew butter has been my latest fav.
2014-07-15 10:02 PM

Expert
Don't mean to hijack the thread (which means I will), but just wondering is it OK now to go back to real butter! Seeing a lot of info (don't know how accurate) that real butter is actually not as bad as thought and probably better than any margarine.
2014-07-16 11:04 AM
in reply to: #5015860

Absolutely! Real, full fat dairy butter is the best. Have you tried it blended into coffee instead of half and half? I put about a TBL spoon in a large cup of dark roasted, fresh brewed coffee and whirl it in a Magic Bullet. So frothy, creamy and good. Provides excellent energy to kick start a long bike ride.
2014-07-17 10:21 AM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
any grass fed butter you can get.
i buy kerry gold from sams club

2014-07-17 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Justin's Almond Butter
Nutella
Trader Joes Speculoos Cookie Butter

I buy the Justin's in the single serving packets and the last two, I can't even keep in the house - I have zero self control.
2014-10-09 1:49 AM
in reply to: vonschnapps

User image

Regular
Originally posted by vonschnapps

Don't mean to hijack the thread (which means I will), but just wondering is it OK now to go back to real butter! Seeing a lot of info (don't know how accurate) that real butter is actually not as bad as thought and probably better than any margarine.

Yes! Real butter is better than margarine or any "fake" butter. Better in taste and better for your health Margarine goes through crazy amounts of processing to make it like that. And that's just not good for you IMHO.
2014-10-13 7:55 AM
in reply to: cdivine9

Veteran
butter is good for you in moderation. just make sure it is real butter. the fat in foods will give you a feeling of being fuller. with the other items listed make sure they contain no hydrogenated oil's.
read another post and someone has a plain banana for a snack. a banana isn’t a bad afternoon snack, but it’s not very balanced in terms of protein, fat, and fiber. Sugars, albeit naturally occurring ones, make up the majority of calories in the banana. If you add some cheese slices (real cheese) or put some nut butter on that banana, you’ve now got a snack with protein, fat and fiber. The protein and fat in the cheese or nut butter will slow down the absorption of the natural sugars, leaving you feeling satisfied longer and with a more stable blood sugar level.

2014-10-15 5:20 PM
in reply to: NurseHeather

User image

Master
South Florida

Originally posted by NurseHeather I like Trader Joe's no salt Almond Butter and the Sunflower Seed Butter. I have to share that nut butters are a huge staple in my diet. I add a scoop to oatmeal, smoothies, on rice cakes, apples. Anyway for some time my go-to was TJ's PB, can't beat the price, but I read this article about how the acid from PB can slow recovery and this marathoner changed to AB and started recovering faster. Well, it did the same for me. Just sharing my experiment of one, but no more peanut butter in my house.

Love Sunbutter!! used to love it with Nutella...but I went vegan and nutella didn't.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What kind of ''butters'' do you like? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Baking with Peanut Butter

Started by Lucy
Views: 1088 Posts: 3

2005-05-30 8:49 PM Angie

what is your favorite peanut butter

Started by trixie
Views: 1371 Posts: 15

2004-12-16 5:31 PM textridave

Peanut Butter

Started by OneShotTequila
Views: 921 Posts: 3