General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood clot questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-23 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Montana
Subject: Blood clot questions
In January I developed a blood clot in my calf because of an extended travel stint (11 hours airplane and 8 bus) . It was not life-threatening because of the location, and it was cleared up with an aspirin regimen. The ultrasound tech said two things:

"Wow, you must have a sore calf." "And I'm guessing you are an athlete, what kind of athlete are you?"

My first question is, how did he know by looking at a screen that I am an athlete? Is a blood clot in the gastrocnemius (sp?) something athletes are prone to?

If I feel a twinge or throb in that same spot in my calf when I know I have spent more than normal amounts of time sitting, should I pay close attention or maybe start on some aspirin just to be safe?

I have also been advised by a running friend that any time an athlete travels they should wear compression. Is an athlete more prone to blood clots from sitting, and why?

I just thought of something else. We are having special meetings at my church this week. We will be listening to speakers for a total of 5 hours a day. Do you think this is something to be very cautious about?

Thanks for any input.

2014-06-27 10:08 AM
in reply to: Shoeless

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: Blood clot questions
On long flights I wear compression socks to combat DVT.
Actually, I wear compression socks and calves all the time to combat DVT. Training, daily etc..

I had a PE in April and am on a warfarin regiment to combat all clotting issues.

2014-07-02 11:32 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Just getting on a plane you are at risk for a DVT.  Athletes are at increased risk as are smokers and women on birth control pills.  Wearing compressive gear on the plane will decrease your risk and also if you can get up and walk a little every hour.  Also (since I know your history) I know you had knee surgery with in the last 6 months or so (?) so that may have predisposed you as well.

Not sure what the US tech saw, probably that you had decent muscle mass and you are not all fatty   He probably saw teh DVT and maybe some swelling as to the "gee your calf must be sore " comment.

For your upcoming conference you  certainly won't do yourself any harm but wearing some compression hose but the risk sitting at ground level vs a flight is much much less. 

2014-07-02 1:49 PM

User image

2014-07-02 1:49 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I remember reading somewhere that people with lower heart rates and blood pressure (typical of endurance athletes) have a greater tendency for blood to pool in their extremities.

I used to fly a lot on business overseas.  I'd always get up and walk a few laps around the plane every couple of hours during the flight.  I'd also do some isometric contractions of my leg muscles while seated.

Mark

2014-07-15 2:25 PM
in reply to: louamerica

New user

My job requires me to travel extensively, most of it international. I developed DVT in my right calf eariler this year. My doctor felt that a combination of factors contributed to the DVT. First, I was in a foot boot due to a stress facture in my calcaneus (heel bone), second I made four, 12 hour plus flights within two weeks, third I am an athlete.

My strong advice for any triathlete traveling is to wear compression socks and get up and walk once an hour while flying. DVT can inflict significant damage to your veins and potentially place you on blood thinners on an ongoing basis. Blood thinners and biking is a dangerous combination.

Luckily, my doctor did not feel I am at risk for future bouts of DVT and he took me off blood thinners, with the condition that I wear compression socks while flying and get out of my seat once an hour.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood clot questions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Endurance athletes and blood clots

Started by ChrisM
Views: 3713 Posts: 12

2014-08-07 7:42 AM louamerica

Blood pressure questions

Started by TrileteNewb
Views: 2518 Posts: 6

2008-12-29 11:37 AM jdwright56

Blood Pressure Questions

Started by sdbryant
Views: 1239 Posts: 6

2008-01-31 10:43 AM DerekL

Blood clot?

Started by goran007
Views: 819 Posts: 5

2007-08-30 2:09 PM Artemis

High blood pressure questions...should I be worried?

Started by auto208562
Views: 6737 Posts: 23

2007-04-03 2:36 PM pescalita
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Would getting the veins fixed have any potential triathlon performance implications? Is there anything else I should be doing for them when I swim/bike/run?