General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What Was I Supposed to Do? USAT Penalty... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-06-24 2:50 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: What Was I Supposed to Do? USAT Penalty...

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Hassard - looking at the race results....how would you have qualified for AG nationals wihtout the penalty as you stated?  You were 2nd in your AG out of 5.   First place was 12 minutes ahead of you WITHOUT the penalty.  You were going to be 2nd out of 5 in your AG, penalty or not.  With only 5 in your AG that put you at top 40%....you don't quallify with that finish.

Don't they take the top 3 of each AG to AG Nat?  Or is it only the 10% rule? 

I think they take everyone who wants to go.  

10% is all I ever knew of.  If it was top 3 then he's also already in and has nothing to gripe about.  So he's either already in, or he was never going to be in.....but the penalty didn't change EITHER.

It's top 10% of age group for most races. They might fudge the rounding a bit for some in the teens as well. For a regional championship race (as indicated on USAT) it's 33%. There might be some other small things specific to a few races, but this is basically it.

ETA: There aren't guaranteed spots beyond winning the age group. Also took a look at the race results and saw the same thing LB did. 2nd of 5 people, so it doesn't really change the age group placing.

Edited by brigby1 2014-06-24 2:58 PM

2014-06-24 2:51 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by brigby1 Does anyone know what the pro rules were for this race? I don't, but know that they can have different rules than the age groupers at the same event. And it can lead to situations like this. If something like the (confusing) stagger rules were in effect, then she could have very well been in the right by staying to the left. If it hasn't been done already, suggest writing in to both USAT and the RD to see what should be done. May not do anything about the penalty since it's so far past the event, but could help push to addressing the situation better for the future.
Agreed, especially about the silly stagger rule. This rule causes all kinds of confusion for elites let alone AGers that happen to get in the mix with elites. This really highlights the need to keep the two races separate to ensure situations like this do not arise. Shane

But USAT elite (pro?) rules state that even with the stagger rule, an elite (pro?) cannot block another rider.  Unless I am missing the point...

And did someone say that 2:18 is a MOP Oly time?

The confusion is the point. Don't block, don't follow, don't pass on the right. Someone gets caught up in this mess.

But this isn't s pro/AG issue, is it?  Pro has to move right if blocking, just like any AGer (ignore whether there was a pro ahead of her for the moment).

Question is still, regardless of category, if blocking rider doesn't move over and you've entered the draft zone expecting them to move, and they don't, you don't have very good options regardles of who is blocking.  Over the double yellow, drop back, to the right.  All illegal.  So what does one do (I have a hard time believing that any official would say cross the double yellow).

2014-06-24 2:56 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

But USAT elite (pro?) rules state that even with the stagger rule, an elite (pro?) cannot block another rider.  Unless I am missing the point...

It is true but some athletes often don't understand how follow the stagger rule and also not block. This is further confounded when you have a multi loop bike course and elites are afraid of being dinged for not following the stagger rule and have a bunch of AGers in the mix as well.

Shane
2014-06-24 2:57 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Hassard - looking at the race results....how would you have qualified for AG nationals wihtout the penalty as you stated?  You were 2nd in your AG out of 5.   First place was 12 minutes ahead of you WITHOUT the penalty.  You were going to be 2nd out of 5 in your AG, penalty or not.  With only 5 in your AG that put you at top 40%....you don't quallify with that finish.

Don't they take the top 3 of each AG to AG Nat?  Or is it only the 10% rule? 

I think they take everyone who wants to go.  

10% is all I ever knew of.  If it was top 3 then he's also already in and has nothing to gripe about.  So he's either already in, or he was never going to be in.....but the penalty didn't change EITHER.

It's top 10% of age group for most races. They might fudge the rounding a bit for some in the teens as well. For a regional championship race (as indicated on USAT) it's 33%. There might be some other small things specific to a few races, but this is basically it.

Well, in any scenario the OP wasn't denied a slot because of a 2 minute penalty....and th emenalty made no difference in overall (awards) or AG standings.....it's a wash.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-06-24 2:57 PM
2014-06-24 3:00 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Chris (sorry, phone wouldn't let me quote),

You are right - no good legal option at that point. Wait for them to move over, slow down and sit in the legal draft, pass on the inside (variable time penalty) pass over the yellow (DQ).

Personally, I would pass right and take the penalty if given. However, I would also hang around and check the penalty list and probably protest if dinged.

Shane
2014-06-24 3:01 PM

User image

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by brigby1 Does anyone know what the pro rules were for this race? I don't, but know that they can have different rules than the age groupers at the same event. And it can lead to situations like this. If something like the (confusing) stagger rules were in effect, then she could have very well been in the right by staying to the left. If it hasn't been done already, suggest writing in to both USAT and the RD to see what should be done. May not do anything about the penalty since it's so far past the event, but could help push to addressing the situation better for the future.
Agreed, especially about the silly stagger rule. This rule causes all kinds of confusion for elites let alone AGers that happen to get in the mix with elites. This really highlights the need to keep the two races separate to ensure situations like this do not arise. Shane

The confusion is the point. Don't block, don't follow, don't pass on the right. Someone gets caught up in this mess.

But this isn't s pro/AG issue, is it?  Pro has to move right if blocking, just like any AGer (ignore whether there was a pro ahead of her for the moment).

Question is still, regardless of category, if blocking rider doesn't move over and you've entered the draft zone expecting them to move, and they don't, you don't have very good options regardles of who is blocking.  Over the double yellow, drop back, to the right.  All illegal.  So what does one do (I have a hard time believing that any official would say cross the double yellow).

At least the OP didn't resort to throwing punches.

2014-06-24 3:03 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N

What about a gorilla?

2014-06-24 3:06 PM

User image

What about a gorilla?

or maybe.... a lamb......

2014-06-24 3:08 PM

User image

What about a gorilla?

That would just be bananas.  Any penalty should be apeeled.  And if not overturned, you are allowed to go ape sh.. on the official.

2014-06-24 3:13 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

What about a gorilla?

That would just be bananas.  Any penalty should be apeeled.  And if not overturned, you are allowed to go ape sh.. on the official.

Thread hi-jackers!!!

LOL

2014-06-24 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

Originally posted by fisherman76 2:18 is a MOP time in a race that attracts a pro field.

???   Including pros, 2:18 got you 102d place overall at that race.  I stopped counting times at 1000......What am I missing here.....

Sorry when I think FOP, MOP, BOP I don't think of it as 33.3/33.3/33.3. I think FOP is the pointy end of racing. I didn't look at results. I race in FL and 2:18 wouldn't top 20 a local race. Either way it's been pointed out the penalty didn't affect his going to AG nats

2014-06-24 3:27 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Pro

2:18 is definately MBMFOP

2014-06-24 3:29 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

and i'm lost middlebackmiddlefrontofpack?
2014-06-24 3:29 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by rjrankin83

Originally posted by fisherman76 2:18 is a MOP time in a race that attracts a pro field.

???   Including pros, 2:18 got you 102d place overall at that race.  I stopped counting times at 1000......What am I missing here.....

Sorry when I think FOP, MOP, BOP I don't think of it as 33.3/33.3/33.3. I think FOP is the pointy end of racing. I didn't look at results. I race in FL and 2:18 wouldn't top 20 a local race. Either way it's been pointed out the penalty didn't affect his going to AG nats

I'm sure the FL course was a bit flatter. 102/1140 is a pretty good finish.

Did you guys know Macca did the sprint on Saturday as an AG'er? 

2014-06-24 3:36 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Philly?

2014-06-24 3:42 PM

User image

Pro

and i'm lost middlebackmiddlefrontofpack?

Oh....definately....maybe even MBFMFOP

2014-06-24 3:51 PM

User image

Neither do i.   But I don't think of top 10% (actually, top 8%) as MOP either (and considering you need top 10% AG to go to Nats...).  You guys must live in some fast areas!   Didn't mean to derail the thread.... just curious as to the comment

I guess if you ain't first, you're last!

Edited by ChrisM 2014-06-24 4:02 PM
2014-06-24 4:08 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Philly?

Yo!

2014-06-24 4:11 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Philly?

Yo!

HAHAHAHA! 

2014-06-24 5:26 PM

User image

Delco, PA

Ah well .  I thought it was a 1st place finish in age group or top 10% overall....

117 / 1140 overall I finished. Puts me in top 10.2%

Would've finished 100 / 1140. 8.8%.

Well I guess I shouldn't be complaining then if it's top 10% in age group.  Thought it was 10% overall.

2014-06-24 5:29 PM

User image

Delco, PA

Macca did the sprint on Saturday and the bike leg on Sunday as part of a relay.

He passed me on the course.  It was awesome.  Tried to stay with him for as long as I could haha

2014-06-24 5:36 PM
in reply to: C_Hassard

User image

Pro

Originally posted by C_Hassard

Ah well .  I thought it was a 1st place finish in age group or top 10% overall....

Well I guess I shouldn't be complaining then if it's top 10% in age group.  Thought it was 10% overall.

Still a great race for you, young man.......keep up the good work and you'll get there easily.

2014-06-24 5:39 PM

User image

Delco, PA

Still a great race for you, young man.......keep up the good work and you'll get there easily.

Thank you.  This is my second year of racing. 17 years old now so hoping to do it for a much longer time.  Aiming for a sub 2:10 next year on this course.

2014-06-24 5:43 PM

User image

Pro

Thank you.  This is my second year of racing. 17 years old now so hoping to do it for a much longer time.  Aiming for a sub 2:10 next year on this course.

Get down around 2:06 and you'll be close to qualifying for worlds.  If you want to do the AG nationals race ....it's actually more age appropriate for you to do the sprint race and you don't need to qualify.  You will be close right now to top 18 in your AG and worlds is in Chicago next year.....if you are close to Milwaukee and can swing it the weekend of August 9th (nationals) you should give it a go.....you definitely won't be outclassed in the race and have a great chance of getting in the AG world race next year.

2014-06-24 6:10 PM

Macca did the sprint on Saturday and the bike leg on Sunday as part of a relay.

He passed me on the course.  It was awesome.  Tried to stay with him for as long as I could haha

Yeah, Macca was one swim group (6 people) in front of me, very cool. I saw him for about fifteen seconds once I was in the water, then once out on the bike course.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What Was I Supposed to Do? USAT Penalty... Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

What am I supposed to do???

Started by Bronwyn1968
Views: 2108 Posts: 23

2009-01-15 7:03 PM wwlani

Am I supposed to be feeling this exhausted?

Started by circadies
Views: 1362 Posts: 16

2007-12-18 2:51 PM TriAya

So this is how an olympic distance is "supposed" to be done

Started by chris hughes
Views: 1638 Posts: 16

2006-09-28 7:25 PM chirunner134

Are you doing USAT Grand Prix Series Races?

Started by triman50
Views: 509 Posts: 1

2006-01-06 11:15 AM triman50

Am I a Dorkus for doing this?

Started by HandsomePete
Views: 1180 Posts: 10

2004-12-29 6:20 PM rkreuser
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.