General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do I train in a wetsuit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-23 5:57 PM

User image

Subject: Do I train in a wetsuit?
This is my second year doing triathlons but I haven't been to a race yet that isn't wetsuit legal. Having said that, I feel like I'm kind of cheating when I train with a wetsuit because it's helping me float. Having said THAT, I know you're suppose to train like you race. Should I be training with a wetsuit?

2014-06-23 6:10 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Do I train in a wetsuit?
I have the opportunity to train in the open water rather frequently, I like to wear the wetuit for the specificity in training.

If you feel like you're "cheating" in the wetsuit push yourself to swim faster etc. I think its good to be used to the buoyancy a wetsuit provides.
2014-06-23 6:11 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Yes and no.

OWS - use the wettie or stay in shallow water.  Better safe than sorry.

Pool - never use the wettie.

2014-06-23 6:41 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by b2run This is my second year doing triathlons but I haven't been to a race yet that isn't wetsuit legal. Having said that, I feel like I'm kind of cheating when I train with a wetsuit because it's helping me float. Having said THAT, I know you're suppose to train like you race. Should I be training with a wetsuit?

Train for the demands of the race, not race day every day. So with that, much of your time should be helping you to develop your swim as best you can. And specifically with the wetsuit, train in it enough so that you're comfortable using it. This should not take a whole lot to do.

2014-06-23 6:50 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
I don't train in my wetsuit. When I first started, I did some open water swims to get used to my wetsuit. Now, that is what B and C races are for. But, I'm used to the suit now, and I don't have a lot of opportunities to do open water swims other than races. I wouldn't swim in the pool with a wetsuit.
2014-06-23 7:38 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Originally posted by cgregg

Yes and no.

Yeah, I should have specified that. I do all OWS. There are around 330 lakes in our small city so there's no shortage of venues.

2014-06-23 8:17 PM
in reply to: cgregg

Originally posted by cgregg

Yes and no.

+1

You really need to get use to wearing the wetsuit. Then there is the need to learn to put on the wetsuit "correctly" and learn how to readjust it if it is "off".
2014-06-23 8:47 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Periodize your training -

Months before a race, get in a pool and work on improving your general swimming skills and fitness.  As the time of your race(s) gets nearer, adjust your training so it more closely resembles what you'll be doing during races.  This means doing ows in your wetsuit if your races fit that description.

2014-06-24 11:33 AM

The main reason to not train with a wetsuit in a pool is because the chlorine etc will damage the wetsuit over time, and wetsuits aren't exactly cheap. Also, you might overheat in some warm/hot pools that are cranked up for the water aerobics classes.

But there's otherwise nothing wrong with training in a wetsuit, especially if you train a lot in OW. In fact, it would be a lot better for the vast majority of beginner triathletes to actually train in wetsuits than not (if not for the pool issue), as you'd hear so many fewer complaints of "the suit didn't fit me right and I almost DNFd the swim!" - if you're in that wetsuit day in day out in training, odds of a misfit issue on race day are near-zero. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do I train in a wetsuit? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

For you HIM in training folks who are doing AM training

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1821 Posts: 17

2012-06-21 12:08 PM Rudedog55

Wetsuits, wetsuits, wetsuits

Started by joemac3
Views: 1881 Posts: 12

2007-09-04 7:40 PM haygosl

Cycling training: am i doing it all wrong? Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 2930 Posts: 27

2005-08-09 10:12 AM Renee

training program when doing other sports?

Started by KathyG
Views: 519 Posts: 3

2004-11-02 4:29 PM jasmine

yet another training question - over doing it?

Started by autumn
Views: 1114 Posts: 7

2004-03-29 9:14 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.

date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"