General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paleo diet...is it even doable for an IM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-23 10:24 PM

User image

Subject: Paleo diet...is it even doable for an IM?
I didn't know whether to post this here or in the health section but I'm more interested in people training for an IM and if they tried a Paleo diet and how they eat. Back story: I have ulcer colitis, which is an intestinal disease. Has its good and bad times but I've been in a bad time for 7 months and it's wearing me down physically and mentally (many skipped work outs and such). I thought about whether a whole new diet change may help. I decided to look into this, after I bought my normal food which is basically anti-paleo of course

I have no doubt that I'll be a little healthier due to the increased fruits and veggies but I'm worried about calories. I eat bread and whole grains like a mad man (and the drink of the gods: Mountain Dew). I drink weight gainer 5x/week to make sure I don't get too thin. Whey is dairy derived so I'm thinking this is a no-no as well but it would probably be one of a few exceptions due to why I need it. Paleo looks to be super low in calories and I need a LOT of calories for training. Has anyone who's done an IM before tried this? I'm not ready to convert for life but I'm thinking of slowly switching next week and see if it helps me out. Can't hurt right?...other than my wallet...this diet does not look cheap! I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice from people about this.

2014-06-24 5:21 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Subject: RE: Paleo diet...is it even doable for an IM?
Originally posted by Blastman

I didn't know whether to post this here or in the health section but I'm more interested in people training for an IM and if they tried a Paleo diet and how they eat. Back story: I have ulcer colitis, which is an intestinal disease. Has its good and bad times but I've been in a bad time for 7 months and it's wearing me down physically and mentally (many skipped work outs and such). I thought about whether a whole new diet change may help. I decided to look into this, after I bought my normal food which is basically anti-paleo of course

I have no doubt that I'll be a little healthier due to the increased fruits and veggies but I'm worried about calories. I eat bread and whole grains like a mad man (and the drink of the gods: Mountain Dew). I drink weight gainer 5x/week to make sure I don't get too thin. Whey is dairy derived so I'm thinking this is a no-no as well but it would probably be one of a few exceptions due to why I need it. Paleo looks to be super low in calories and I need a LOT of calories for training. Has anyone who's done an IM before tried this? I'm not ready to convert for life but I'm thinking of slowly switching next week and see if it helps me out. Can't hurt right?...other than my wallet...this diet does not look cheap! I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice from people about this.

I do a modified version in that I still have some dairy on occasion (i don't have any health issues as to why I need to avoid it), and will occasionally eat pasta, but I feel gluggy after I do

its actually really easy to go high on your calories in Paleo, because they don't set portion control sizes - the idea is to basically eat until you aren't hungry any more - try reading Cordain's book Paleo for Athletes, he talks quite a bit about doing long-distrance triathlons on the plan, and what you can eat when, with modifications
2014-06-24 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran
, New York
I'm going on my second year of being Paleo and IMLP will be my second IM while paleo, along with some 70.3s in between there. I think it's very doable for an IM. Paleo is not even close to low calorie! When I first went on it, I trimmed down a bit for the first few months (without even trying to, ate tons!) but even without adding extra protein powder or anything I've maintained my weight since. The key is that many people wrongly assume that paleo is super low carbs and that this doesn't support endurance racing. Carbs come in many forms, and you don't need to eat tons of glutenous pasta/bread to get carbs. I get plenty from eating sweet potatoes, turnips, basically any root veggie, and fruit. When in high volume training, I just make sure to eat these before a tough workout or immediately after.

I'm pretty strict paleo, the only exceptions I make are race nutrition. I know people who get away with eating more paleo race nutrition such as dried fruit and such, but I'd rather not risk the fiber in that during a race. As a plus side, since I'm paleo consistently, when I am in a race situation and get all the sugar from Gu/perform and especially the sugar/caffeine from flat coke, it feels like rocket fuel!
2014-06-25 6:23 PM
in reply to: elrasc06

User image

Thanks for responses. I just bought the book last nigh tbut still need to read it. I'm pretty toned alright and veiny as hell, so I rather not lose any more weight if possible I'm pretty much thinking sports drinks, GU, and probably whey protein may be my exceptions. The few sites I found said that endurance athletes need some exceptions. I plan to read the book soon and go from there. I need to finish off my current food stores, which will take 1-2 weeks but plan to mix in more Paleo meals starting next week.
2014-06-26 10:53 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Blastman Thanks for responses. I just bought the book last nigh tbut still need to read it. I'm pretty toned alright and veiny as hell, so I rather not lose any more weight if possible I'm pretty much thinking sports drinks, GU, and probably whey protein may be my exceptions. The few sites I found said that endurance athletes need some exceptions. I plan to read the book soon and go from there. I need to finish off my current food stores, which will take 1-2 weeks but plan to mix in more Paleo meals starting next week.

If you're worried about maintaining weight on paleo, don't forget there's nothing wrong with some healthy fat.  There are a lot of calorie-dense things available to you.  Various tree nuts, sunflower seeds, that sort of thing for snacks.  Olive oil for cooking.  And a few other random things come to mind: avocados, olives, coconut.  I think eggs are ok too?

2014-06-27 9:19 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Another paleo IM'er here.

My first IM I was not paleo and I was supplementing meals with a ton of refined carbs (bread, cookies, choc milk) to supplement calories. I woke up nearly every night during peak training voraciously hungry and I didn't really lose weight (which was a goal of mine).

Last year I was fully paleo (been eating that way for at least a year) and instead of refined carbs, I was supplementing with healthy fats. Lots of nuts, avocados, beef jerky. I also would have part of a sweet potato for dinners, beets at lunch. I rarely woke up hungry and I lost more weight than I expected. And my energy levels were good.

Like the other responders, I just limit my paleo-ness to general diet. I'll eat sugar for training, although on the bike I try to eat more "real food" than gu's/bars/etc.

2014-07-04 8:38 PM
in reply to: mountain_erin

Look up ben greenfield's blog, he did an IM (several?) all paleo and wrote about it.
2014-07-10 9:10 AM

User image

Miami
I don't do Paleo. I follow a healthy balance diet that includes carbs, protein, and fats as well as all the necessary minerals and vitamins my body needs. Why should I restrict myself from one group food that can add valuable nutrition benefits to my body?

As long as you know what you are eating and what you should not be eating, I would not restrict myself from anything that can be good for my body and supplement my training (pre, during, and post) and race performance.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paleo diet...is it even doable for an IM? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

20 days to IM and I am scared!

Started by TriDk
Views: 1352 Posts: 9

2013-07-29 6:34 PM jobaxas

Is 4:30 doable for me? Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 11703 Posts: 105

2011-06-20 9:34 AM JohnnyKay

why am I even thinking about it?

Started by tritank
Views: 933 Posts: 4

2009-09-18 10:55 AM tritank

Saddle choice for Half IM to IM distances?

Started by charles81
Views: 2140 Posts: 7

2004-11-21 8:30 PM piggpen35

Half IM prep b4 IM?

Started by charles81
Views: 1983 Posts: 11

2004-11-01 6:57 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 29, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on losing weight during half Ironman training, high sugar fruits to avoid, and the Paleo diet.