General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pearland, TX Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2014-06-24 10:59 AM

Subject: Pearland, TX
Hey guys I'm really new to triathlon training and I was wondering if there was anyone in the Pearland, TX area that would be willing to train with me maybe once a week or so. Thanks

-Matt

2014-06-24 11:52 AM
in reply to: moglobalsoccergenius

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Pearland, TX
Not sure if it's what you are looking for, but lot of tri peeps hit lake 288 (near pearland) Friday's after work for OWS. It's about $10/swim more or less.
2014-06-24 3:06 PM
in reply to: #5016788

Thanks so much! I was actually looking for a place to practice OWS, so thank you very much. I had never heard of Lake 288.
2014-06-24 4:24 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by moglobalsoccergenius

Thanks so much! I was actually looking for a place to practice OWS, so thank you very much. I had never heard of Lake 288.

288 lake is the best OWS in Pearland as Justin said up there only saw each other once. For cycling the best group to join is Pearland Cycling club.
I'll get back on you on the Tri group's that drop by 288 lake so you can meet them.

Cheers.

Carl
2014-06-24 4:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by strykergt
288 lake is the best OWS in Pearland as Justin said up there only saw each other once. For cycling the best group to join is Pearland Cycling club.
I'll get back on you on the Tri group's that drop by 288 lake so you can meet them.

Cheers.

Carl

Dude, how long has that been!!!! Was that the spring of 2013? I barely make it over there anymore. I am working on the northwest side of town, and just can't justify driving all the way out there, just to drive downtown (home) afterwards. Needless to say I don't get too many OWS's in anymore.... But I did finally pick up a power meter, not sure if you saw the Garmin stuff.

Sorry to hijack your thread Matt, just had a moment of nostalgia.

Edited by toodamnbroke 2014-06-24 4:29 PM
2014-06-24 4:34 PM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by toodamnbroke
Originally posted by strykergt 288 lake is the best OWS in Pearland as Justin said up there only saw each other once. For cycling the best group to join is Pearland Cycling club. I'll get back on you on the Tri group's that drop by 288 lake so you can meet them. Cheers. Carl
Dude, how long has that been!!!! Was that the spring of 2013? I barely make it over there anymore. I am working on the northwest side of town, and just can't justify driving all the way out there, just to drive downtown (home) afterwards. Needless to say I don't get too many OWS's in anymore.... But I did finally pick up a power meter, not sure if you saw the Garmin stuff. Sorry to hijack your thread Matt, just had a moment of nostalgia.

Dork.

Powerhouse Racing out of the Friendswood/Pearland area are good people.

2014-06-24 4:45 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
TROLL!!!!
2014-06-24 4:47 PM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
And yes...

That Troll 2 posts up is now my coach. Too bad he keeps sending over EASY workouts!!!!!!!

Man this poor thread has gone a bad way. Welcome to Houston Matt!!!!!!
2014-06-24 6:55 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
@Matt

If your comfortable with your Swim and your ok on your saddle and run theres two sprint triathlons coming up best place to meet Pearlander Triathletes.

https://www.ymcahouston.org/freedom-tri/
http://shadowcreekranchtriathlon.com

@Scott

I knew that coaching offer of yours was a steal If its my first HIM or have a shot a podium i would have grabbed it in a heartbeat.

@Justin

i am eyeing to see you on the podium on Oilman!!!!

Cheers everyone

2014-06-30 9:17 AM

Pearland, Ohio
Matt,

What part of Pearland are you in? A few of us ride from the Shadow Creek Ranch area and jump onto some of the routes of the Pearland Cycling club...anywhere from 40-70ish miles. I'm fairly new to the Houston area and have found most of the drivers pretty friendly towards cyclists once you get away from the city and onto the country roads.

As another poster mentioned lake 288 is a good place to practice OWS. There is Twin Lakes off of Hwy 6, although I haven't been there yet. The Pearland Natatorium offers a pretty good deal and plenty of open lanes for lap swimming IMO as well.

Also a new running store opened up called the Wild Pear off of Broadway across from the Buffalo Wild Wings. The owner is pretty knowledgeable and can introduce you to the local running clubs. He also does a Thursday night fun run at 6:30. Another decent place to do your long runs on the weekends is Rice Village...mostly shaded, gravel trail, water fountains, restrooms, and you are able to extend your route into Hermann park and around the golf course.

-Ian
2014-07-01 10:29 AM
in reply to: #5016788

Hey Ian,

I live towards the older side of pearland. I'm about 20 minutes away from 288. I swim at the Pearland Natatorium. What roads do y'all usually ride on from shadow creek ranch?

-Matt

2014-07-01 2:11 PM
in reply to: #5019967

And thank you Ian for suggesting Twin Lakes, I have read some good things about it, and it's really cheap (5$ to swim) so I will have to check it out!
2014-07-08 12:01 PM

Pearland, Ohio
We usually jump onto the Pearland Cycling Club's routes that are on their website. I've posted the link below. We link up to it at CR90 and Southfork and head on out from there. Once you get off of CR101/Bailey, there is really a minimal amount of traffic or a large shoulder to ride on.

We've ridden with the Pearland Club a few times, they are pretty friendly and have an A, B, & C group...we just prefer to not ride in a pack during tri training.

Are you training for any upcoming races in particular?

http://pearlandcyclingclub.org/maps.html
2014-07-10 8:55 PM
in reply to: #5020174

Yes, I am training for my first Triathlon, which will be the Freeport Summertime Blues Sprint Triathlon on August 10th.
2015-01-14 10:12 PM
in reply to: #5024270

I live in Shadow Creek Ranch. How do you get to the Pearland Cycling Club routes from SCR?
2015-01-15 4:21 PM
in reply to: kelchart

Pearland, Ohio
We cross Broadway (518) at Kirby and either cross behind the Pearland Towne Center, turn right on Business Center Pkwy, turn right on CR 59/Airline/Southfork Dr and head under 288. Where South Fork intersects with CR 90 hang a right and you are in the beginning of the Pearland Cycling routes.
http://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/8682032

The other alternative is to head straight down Kirby to where it connects with CR 59/Airline/Southfork Dr, but with the new high school being built, there are a lot of dump trucks and mud on the road around that area, even on the weekends so we've been avoiding that small stretch of roads.
http://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/8682041

What's your pace? We've just been farting around doing some casual rides to the middle school near Frobergs and back that makes it around 40 miles round trip. We'll probably start picking up the effort in the next few weeks, I have a buddy doing IMTX and me and the wife are doing the 70.3 in N.O. We've been averaging around 18ish with stop lights. Some harder efforts thrown in hear and there. Lemme know if you wanna join up with us.

2015-03-13 3:26 PM
in reply to: bricklayer

User image

Pearland, Texas
Greetings fellas. I realize this thread hasn't been active for a couple months, but wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Jason. I'm a runner looking to make the transition to triathlons (doing repetitive marathon cycles the last few years is starting to take a toll on my brain and body). After my next marathon (which is this Sunday, actually), I plan on hitting the tri training.

I swim with the grace and efficiency of a rock, so that will be my primary focus early on. I also still have to pull the trigger on a bike. Plan on hitting up Powerhouse in the near future.

I live very close to the natatorium so I'll be doing a lot of my swim training there. If you ever see a guy that looks like he may drown after doing 25 meters, that's me. Say hi.

Once I get the all the gear purchased and the hang of this whole tri training thing, I hope to hook up with some of the folks here for some workouts. I'm sure I've crossed paths with some of you guys on the road during my Sunday long runs. I live between Veterans and McClean (Westwood Village sub) and run Magnolia pretty much from one side of Pearland to the other (35 to 288).
2015-03-16 3:26 PM
in reply to: imthejason

User image

You've got the hardest part down - the running What race are you training for?

I do my swimming in the rec center Pearland....
2015-03-25 9:36 AM
in reply to: rustic

User image

Pearland, Texas
Originally posted by rustic

You've got the hardest part down - the running What race are you training for?

I do my swimming in the rec center Pearland....

My plan right now is to do a duathlon as my first race to get a feel for transitions. I'll likely do Sylvan Beach in June. Then I want to follow that up with the Shadow Creek sprint in July as my first tri.

The big goal right now is to do the 70.3 in Galveston in 2016. I'm going to have to put in some intense swim practice to make that feasible - I can't overstate how terrible I am in the water. hahaha

I hit Powerhouse yesterday and took the plunge with an entry level QR Kilo. Took it for a quick spin yesterday and forgot how much fun riding a bike can be. Aero position and the general speed will take some getting used to, though. All my previous bike experience is with mountain bikes, so I felt like I was really hauling @$$.

Can't say enough nice things about Johnny and Melanie at Powerhouse. Good people.

Look forward to meeting some of you Pearland-area triathletes in the near future.
2015-03-26 3:12 PM

User image

Johnny is very good guy.

I am glad you have fun on the bike, at this point it all for fun.

For the swim do not worry about it, all you need to do is survive

FYI. We ride sometime with PPC or we go on tri bike rides.
2015-03-26 3:44 PM
in reply to: rustic

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Welcome to the Houston (Area) tri community. Your post made me laugh, "I'm the guy who looks like he's going to drown!!!" - Good stuff. Just keeping swimming and you will one day just get better, hopefully.
Shadow Creek, I've never raced it but that's a tough race from a competition standpoint I've heard. I believe that race has a purse right (chime in anyone who knows)?

I looked at the QR Kilo and I was SO close to pulling the trigger on it, but I went a different direction because of financing reasons with another shop. I loved the look of that bike though.

Good luck this Sunday at the marathon!!! When it's over and you start training for tri's, you will have plenty of time to be ready for IM 70.3 G-town. It is a cool race.

Justin

2015-07-08 4:10 PM

User image

Pearland, Texas
I see a few of you mentioned weekend rides in the Pearland area. Do you guys still get together? I've been riding solo on Sunday mornings starting about 6:30 a.m. Usually 30-50 mile range.

I'd like to jump in with you guys sometime if you don't mind another rider coming along.
2015-07-10 5:33 PM

User image

Your are welcome to join us, we ride Saturday and Sunday, Saturday at 6 and Sunday at 6:30...this weekend we are doing 60 Saturday and 30 Sunday
Let me know if you will be going ? We start from Silver lake.
2015-07-29 3:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland, Texas
I think I've seen you guys posting on the Pearland Triathlon Facebook page. I'll definitely be joining you guys for a ride soon. I'm racing League City/Clear Lake this weekend so will be taking it easy Saturday. Anybody else racing?

P.S. - It's freakin' hot.

Edited by imthejason 2015-07-29 3:50 PM
2015-08-04 1:01 PM

User image

How was your race?

We are riding this weekend Sunday 9 @6:00am from Pearland( 70 miles Slow Base(16-17-18 MPH) you can ride 70 or less)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pearland, TX Rss Feed  

of 1