General Discussion Race Reports! » Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log
Georgetown, Colorado
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /1300
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/210
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 4:15, rolled out of bed, exchanged some mumbles with my sister as to whether or not we had everything, loaded up on oatmeal, coffee and bananas and then hit the road.
Event warmup:

i warmed up by watching everyone else warm up. holy ELITE crowd of SUPER fit people!! i'm accustomed to being around all shapes and sizes and everyone was a lean machine. i think they meant business.
Run
  • 2h 25m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

well - i was nervous about my knee, my sister from oregon was nervous about the altitude so we took it VEEEEERY slow. usually i would have gone quite a bit faster but since my knee started hurting from the MOMENT i started running, i figured it'd be a long day since at that pace, a turtle could have passed me - or just the 83 year old lady, haha. other than my knee it was great! it was quiet, scenic and SO peaceful that i was able to cope with my pain (did i really have a choice?). at about the 3 mile mark i started questioning my sister's breathing and why it was so labored. this chick is running a marathon in 4 weeks and is in SUPER great shape, and has run quite a bit at 7500 ft (this race started at 8500) and so i decided i'd keep my eye on her. the course was a gradual downhill with some inclines here and there - THANK GOD!!! i HATE downhills! if i had the choice i'd prefer this run to be going UP the hill, not down, but i wonder if the slow decline contributed to how smooth-going i thought the run was. hmm. maybe i'll run 13.1 miles UP hill with a 1000 ft. elevation gain and get back to you - if i don't die, that is. anyway, for some reason the throbbing/burning/going-to-burst-at-any-moment feeling went away in my knee at around the 8 mile mark and i felt GREAT. in fact, i was starting to itch about my slow pace, picked it up, but was reminded to slow down a time or two from my sister - who was at THIS point, sweating profusely and starting to look pale. we took it extra slow and she walked any hills there were and when we finally made it to the finish line hand in hand, she went straight towards the trash can to puke and i found myself a handy medic who gave me some ice for my knees. oh - well i got the ice after i grabbed my daughter and RE-ran across the finish line with her, tee hee!! she was upset because she also wanted to swim and bike with me because she thought it was a triathlon - and then got upset that it WASN'T one, and then.. oh ya, then she remembered to get upset because when was SHE going to do one...? GEEZ KID!!! cute though. VERY cute. :) as soon as i slowed down to a walk, the limp kicked in. i still have it, in fact, it's very graceful and my knees (both, but primarily my left) are nice and round. i've never had "round" knees before - kinda interesting. anyway, when i was finally facing my sister i noticed she was SUPER pale and her lips were blue so i sent her off immediately to get some food and something other than water to drink. she rested, filled up and was soon back to her fun, chatty self.
What would you do differently?:

i would run without sore knees and would have pushed it. i finished with a LOT of energy in the tank and it wasn't nearly as mentally challenging as i thought it would be -- in fact, i kept telling myself that i ought to have already swam over a mile and rode my bike for 56!! soooo.....guess what i'm doing this spring!!
Post race
Warm down:

immediately iced my knees and ate a little, then chatted it up like crazy with our family that showed up to cheer us on at the finish line!! IT WAS AN AWESOME DAY!!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my knees and running partner who got some serious altitude sickness

Event comments:

i was pretty shocked that there was no gatorade or any kind of sports drinks - i mean, even at 5K's i've seen gatorade!! but at a HALF MARATHON at 8500 feet, there was only water! and then for the food, they just had fruit and bagel bites. i don't know about anyone else, but after running 13.1 miles, i felt like i could have eaten a horse -- so it was unsatisfying -- frustrating, even, but hey - it was inexpensive and the local mountain high school benefited from it. so maybe i shouldn't complain?

Last updated: 2006-07-27 12:00 AM
Running
02:25:00 | 13.1 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/210
Overall: 0/1300
Performance: Below average
Course: starting at 8500 ft, finishing at 7500 ft along a frontage road and dirt trail along a river. BEAUTIFUL.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-08-13 10:11 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)
Subject: Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon

2006-08-13 11:18 PM
in reply to: #510443

Subject: RE: Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon
Congrats on the run and what a great sister you are to stay with your sister and take care of her!
2006-08-14 5:12 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Sounds like a fun race except for the 1st 8 miles. You'll have to have your daughter do the kids triathlon that 5430 puts on next year. It was the same morning as this race. Congrats on pushing thru it & feeling strong at the end.
2006-08-14 7:54 PM

User image

Expert
Denver

I was going to comment on this RR, but now I think I'm going to hold out for the half marathon that you run while gaining 1000 feet in elevation instead! Too bad about your knees (still), but I'm glad you guys had a good time. I'm with you though, running downhill for an extended period of time is tough!

I'll be looking for that half IM training to start in the spring!

2006-08-17 12:04 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Great race!!  CONGRATS on your 1st 1/2 mary, but WARNING, they ARE addictive.  My hubby was there as well!  Sounds like you should have had your daughter with me that day!  My boys did the Boulder Kids tri (yes at 3 1/2 yrs old!!) that day and had a BALL!  Keep up the nice work and hope the knees are feeling better.  Hope to meet you soon - sounds like we have a bit in common
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon Rss Feed