Silverback Enterprises
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 05m 42s
Overall Rank = 16/177
Age Group = 35-39M
Age Group Rank = 1/25
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night at my parent's house in Topeka so that I would have shorter drive in the morning and so my wife, kids, and parents could come out and watch me race. Up at 4:30ish with some breakfast of a bagel, banana, and yogurt.

At the park I picked up my packet and started setting things up. I encountered a bit of an 'oh crap' moment when I was shoving my BTA aero bottle into the cage and the top of the cage snapped and would no longer securely hold the bottle. I guess that's what I get for buying the cheaper plastic version. However, I was able to hunt down a Silverback carny and he was able to give me a zip tie, which solved my problem.
Event warmup:

I originally settled on not wearing a wetsuit, but I changed my mind. Because I left my wetsuit back at my car I had a half mile jog ahead of me. So 1 mile warm up run!
Swim
  • 14m 38s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

The first of three waves was 39 and under men. The way the course was set-up was that you had to swim about 20 feet straight before making a right hand turn. So it was fairly intense for the first hundred yards as everyone was trying to get to the buoy and make the turn at the same time, and then trying to get some separation from the pack. I did this fairly well but as a result of my effort my heart rate and breathing were very high. I then spent the majority of the swim trying to calm myself down.

No one to draft off of as there were about four guys who ended up finishing about a minute ahead of me, but instead I had three others drafting off my own feet. I exited the water, saw my family cheering me on (my parents first triathlon experience) as I made my way up the hill and around to the far side of the transition while gasping for air.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Dropped my goggles on the run to transition (they fell out of my wetsuit sleeve), so I had to turn around for that. Gear change was fairly quick, but once it was time to mount my bike I couldn't for the life of me get my shoes to clip in.

15/177
1/25
What would you do differently?:

Maybe I need to go back to leaving my shoes clipped in prior to racing.

Bike
  • 54m 39s
  • 19.5 miles
  • 21.41 mile/hr
Comments:

I spent the first 5 miles playing around with my Garmin. I could not get it to record speed and distance (I wasn't paying attention to the HR or cadence readings), so I kept fudging around with that before completely giving up and focusing on my race instead.

It was fairly quiet once you were on the long course side of things. I think I had three people pass me on the bike and then I didn't see anyone else. Also, my bike racing mojo wasn't firing on all cylinders today. I was going hard but my pace felt very pedestrian. In hindsight I likely could've pushed the envelope a little harder on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

Good transition all around, the only thing that kept it from being great was that I took off prematurely without my Garmin (hopefully it works on the run) and had to double back a few steps to retrieve it from my bike.

22/177
3/25
Run
  • 53m 51s
  • 7.52 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

When I entered T2 I noticed Patrick (Jayhox) was right behind me. I started the run just before him, so I expected to see him at some point on the run. About a half mile in I saw my family standing on the side of the rode cheering. This was awesome. I almost always come to races alone so it was nice to see them. Plus, who can't get excited for my four-year old daughter and my three-year old niece cheering their heads off and going crazy for you. I stopped and high-fived them, as well as my bewildered one-year old son, before starting my journey around the lake.

The temps weren't too bad, cooler than the year before, so I figured to have an improved time. I saw some of the leaders starting the run when I was coming in on my bike, but they were no where in sight now. I very slowly reeled in and passed one guy, but it took me 3 or 4 miles to do it. I stopped and walked most of the aid stations purely for a short opportunity to cool off. I was sipping water, but primarily pouring it over my skin and to cool me down. Unfortunately, the water was luke warm and all I ended up with was squishy, wet shoes. Each time I stopped I was expecting Patrick to run by me, but he was never able to. We pretty much kept the same distance on each other for the entire run course.

It was a very quiet run. The only other runner I saw was Kevin Wait, and that was as he was passing me at around mile 5. After he passed me I eventually came to a climb around the south end of the lake/golf course. My heart rate had been steadily climbing from the high 160s to now the low 180s and I could feel my heart beating through my skull, so decided to walk up the second half of the hill. The walk helped, as did the last aid station, and I was able to tough out the last 1.5 miles to the finish. My screaming cheering section provided me a nice little push at the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Pace wise I am a little slower than I would want, but the course is a little challenging with its short hill climbs so I'm OK with it. If I could get under 7min pace I would be very happy.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with my family before sending them and the cranky kids home. Normal social chatter with some of the other racers.

Cleaned up transition, waited for results to become final, and then waited in line to pick it up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

For whatever reason I wasn't completely fired up mentally to give 100% effort today. I raced hard and had a good time but I probably picked up a couple of extra minutes of time due to my lack of competitive sharpness.

Event comments:

Very unimpressed this year. Having no announcer makes a huge difference, especially from an event-energy perspective. Plenty of volunteers, and everyone I came across did a great job. They were coordinated appropriately. No awards ceremony, just stood in line to pick it up. Just pizza for food.

The race production basics were there, but I feel like this race go the C/D level treatment from Silverback/Ultramax crew (not sure who the "blame" would fall on). I've had a much better experience with this race the previous times I've races it.

Last updated: 2014-03-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:38 | 1094 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/25
Overall: 9/177
Performance: Good
Suit: Full-Sleeved
Course: Flat course. Counter-clockwise rectangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:54:39 | 19.5 miles | 21.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/25
Overall: 27/177
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Primarily flat. A few short climbs and one long, low grade climb. Roads are no0t ideal, but OK.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:51 | 07.52 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/25
Overall: 14/177
Performance: Good
Course: Counter-clockwise around Lake Shawnee. Rolling hills on paved trail.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-06-24 1:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: Topeka Tinman Triathlon

2014-06-25 9:39 AM
in reply to: #5016906

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: RE: Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Long Course
Nice race, Mike!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Topeka Tinman Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Long Course

Started by Bryantsl
Views: 1574 Posts: 1

2007-06-19 9:38 PM Bryantsl

Started by climbin5414
Views: 1544 Posts: 2

2007-06-18 10:21 AM LindaKC

Started by LindaKC
Views: 1665 Posts: 6

2007-06-19 10:37 AM lisac957

Started by kylebush
Views: 1549 Posts: 3

2007-06-19 2:02 PM katieyows

Started by tdstewKC
Views: 1455 Posts: 1

2007-06-17 4:13 PM tdstewKC
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.