General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips For Running In The Heat Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-24 5:37 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: Tips For Running In The Heat
Let's hear them...I refuse to let the Arizona summer heat defuse my running like it does every single year. I will give up sleeping in as my last resort! I know there are guys out there running in the dead heat (100-105+) and I know I can too!

Besides the given (stay hydrated, water on head, running at night/morning), what do you got? Special hats? clothes? "cooling towels"?

2014-06-24 5:57 PM
in reply to: JasenGuy

User image

Expert
South Florida
Subject: RE: Tips For Running In The Heat
Nathan Labs hydration belt. Freeze water in the bottles and keep yourself wet with them as the thaw.
Run in 2-3 mile loops around a point where you keep a cooler with ice and cold drinks.
Put ice under your hat.
De Soto skin cooler gear. Keep it wet.
De Soto makes a skin cooler long sleeve shirt with pockets down the back you can put ice in. Not sure about the logistics of that when you are by yourself though.
Zoot Icefil gear. Keep it wet too.
Light colors.
Don't forget body glide on the nipples when you are damp and running.
My friend runs with a camelback on long midday sessions. Seems hot and chafing to me but she does it all the time.
The keeping yourself wet thing should work for you in the desert
Be careful. Running in those temps can be very dangerous and even kill.
Once you suffer a serious heat injury you are much more susceptible the next time.
2014-06-24 6:33 PM

User image

Lose weight and slow down.

2014-06-24 6:42 PM

I've been dealing with brutal humidity so far this year, but I think most probably still applies in extreme heat, which I actually think is easier than high humidity to cope with.

Go early in the morning. Seriously, better to wake up 30 minutes early than to go hardcore in the afternoon and end up in a dangerous situation.

Wear a HR and follow it to keep yourself in a target range- your pace will slow (ignore it and focus on getting a good run regardless of pace). Doesn't make you a wuss or less fit, means it's hot as hell out side, so just let it happen.

Drink plenty or water before, during, and after. Advice on freezing water beforehand is good.

During longer runs, I will do loops and swing by my house for pitstops, or if I go out beyond the loop will make sure my route has a gas station, etc to refill.

Don't push too hard too fast. The body needs time to adapt to heat, so listen to your body and don't become a try-hard and end up dehydrated and passed out on a random trail in the middle of nowhere.
2014-06-24 6:52 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
, California

Originally posted by Jason N

And run when it's dark out

2014-06-24 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Embrace it. Obviously, that doesn't mean lunch hour 10 milers but get up early if you can or wait until a bit later in the evening. I went trail running out at 8A and 100 in Squaw Peak the other evening and almost the entire place was cast in the shadows of the mountains. Made afternoon running absolutely pleasant. I run the AZ Canal a lot too and in the mornings through Arcadia area you catch shade on a decent portion of the north bank. Then there's days when it just feels (sadistic) good to lose the shirt, slow the pace and embrace the 105+ in the sun, just be sure to SLOW DOWN.

2014-06-24 10:08 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Yep, been out running a bit later this summer when it's much hotter and found a few things that have helped on my runs under 2 hours:

Bought a long sleeved cheap rash guard at Costco for swimming, but used it on a few runs and it worked beautifully - get it wet before hand and once it dries, find a drinking fountain and wet it again.

Also, I soak my headsweats visor to the point it is dripping, but it stays pretty cool for a while.

Lots of hydration the night before and before I leave.

Plan a few more runs that pass by water fountains...I don't drink much during the winter training months, but summer I'm always thirsty - and I drink a TON!!

A Friend just told me that he started taking a salt tab every hour on his long bike rides (100+ miles) and had good success.

I embrace the heat anymore and NEVER complain about the summer here. I'd rather deal with that than humidity, tornadoes, snow and horrible rain/thunder/lightening! I'm definitely a desert rat and feel I've acclimated to the heat better this summer.

Hope this helps!!
2014-06-25 7:09 AM

This came up not long ago. Some good information here:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2014-06-25 7:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Run in the sprinklers!
2014-06-25 7:44 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by Jason N

Exactly what I was going to write.

2014-06-25 7:48 AM
in reply to: thebigb

Veteran
Originally posted by thebigb

Embrace it. Obviously, that doesn't mean lunch hour 10 milers but get up early if you can or wait until a bit later in the evening. I went trail running out at 8A and 100 in Squaw Peak the other evening and almost the entire place was cast in the shadows of the mountains. Made afternoon running absolutely pleasant. I run the AZ Canal a lot too and in the mornings through Arcadia area you catch shade on a decent portion of the north bank. Then there's days when it just feels (sadistic) good to lose the shirt, slow the pace and embrace the 105+ in the sun, just be sure to SLOW DOWN.

yep, embrace it. I spent a couple of summers running in the 100 degree days. embrace it, some days you will have some walking on your run, but at least you are out there, and have a cold water stop halfway through your run.

2014-06-25 9:48 AM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Elite
the desert
Find shady areas, know when and where sprinklers come on, run early, take liquids with you. As another runner in Phoenix, the central ave. bridle path usually makes up some part of my run. Shaded and usually some eye candy too.
2014-06-25 10:57 AM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by runspingirl Yep, been out running a bit later this summer when it's much hotter and found a few things that have helped on my runs under 2 hours: Bought a long sleeved cheap rash guard at Costco for swimming, but used it on a few runs and it worked beautifully - get it wet before hand and once it dries, find a drinking fountain and wet it again. Also, I soak my headsweats visor to the point it is dripping, but it stays pretty cool for a while. Lots of hydration the night before and before I leave. Plan a few more runs that pass by water fountains...I don't drink much during the winter training months, but summer I'm always thirsty - and I drink a TON!! A Friend just told me that he started taking a salt tab every hour on his long bike rides (100+ miles) and had good success. I embrace the heat anymore and NEVER complain about the summer here. I'd rather deal with that than humidity, tornadoes, snow and horrible rain/thunder/lightening! I'm definitely a desert rat and feel I've acclimated to the heat better this summer. Hope this helps!!

So I see you have been in NW Iowa before?!?!?!?

Seriously, the humidity is no joke.  I may look at a 94 degree day (I know, big wuss compared to you AZ kids), but when the humidity is in the 80% range it can really throw a wrench into your body temp regulation.  I do embrace the suck of a 5:30 PM, upper 90s temp combined with god awful levels of humidity and wind once in a while but only if I can make sure there is a way to refill my water supply.  I will do a 3 mile loop that circles back to my house.  My kids love to be a part of that.  They know every 20 minutes or so to be out in the driveway with a fresh supply of Nathan water bottles filled with ice cold water and we pretend it's an aide station bottle exchange.

If that doesn't work then I will get up at the but crack of dawn and run then.  Head sweats running hat helps keep the sweat out of my eyes and I will go shirtless which I know all the ladies love to see this 38 year old half naked wearing his HRM strap.

I do watch my HR too.  It's amazing how panting like a Siberian Husky in July will jack that heart rate way up.  Gotta keep an eye on that.

2014-06-25 11:54 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Light colored loose fitting top makes a HUGE difference.

So, not shirtless, not a tight tank top, not what you're wearing in your picture.  Loose airy light in color.

Beyond that, running in it until you're acclimated is possible and makes a really big difference.  I suck it up for a few weeks in the early summer and run after work when it's really miserable. 

2014-06-25 12:12 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Quite frankly, I've tried running in the afternoon heat here in FL, but became a convert to getting up early in the pre-dawn and running.  Temperatures are cooler, though the humidity can still be brutal.

On days when I do end up running in the heat, most of my best advice has already been offered: pre-hydrate, pick shady routes, wear light-color clothing, hat or visor, sunglasses and slow down. 

I also watch for spikes on my HR monitor and slow down or walk until it drops back down into range. 

Even so, there have been a few oven-like days, when I just packed it in and walked home.

Mark

2014-06-25 12:47 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by GAUG3 Run in the sprinklers!

Unless it's residential sprinklers, you do not want to run through most sprinklers here.

2014-06-25 1:00 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by thebigb

Originally posted by GAUG3 Run in the sprinklers!

Unless it's residential sprinklers, you do not want to run through most sprinklers here.

Same here.  They don't use treated water in the parks and on the golf courses.  Ick.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips For Running In The Heat Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running Performance In The Heat

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 1225 Posts: 11

2008-08-08 8:35 AM chevy57

Question about running in the heat and other variables

Started by surgeandsettle
Views: 781 Posts: 6

2008-06-30 9:01 PM bryancd

question for cycling/running in the heat

Started by kevmk81
Views: 562 Posts: 4

2008-04-04 1:12 PM sesh

Tips for training/racing in the heat

Started by DMW
Views: 989 Posts: 12

2007-06-18 4:12 PM bikingbruise

Running in Heat

Started by Bigtechs
Views: 589 Posts: 2

2007-06-10 5:41 PM sebjamesm
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat

date : September 17, 2008
author : AMSSM
Heat stress, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke: How do these relate to hydration? Can I be well hydrated and still suffer heat stress?
date : September 8, 2008
author : ValleyCoach.com
Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?
date : December 11, 2007
I have had chronic Achilles tendonitis problems for a good portion of my life. I am wondering if this can ever go away, or if there is a surgery that can be done?

date : July 3, 2006
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.
date : July 17, 2005
author : ChiRunning
Running does not cause injury. Poor running form does. Running is more enjoyable, and safer if you know what you’re doing. And yes, even old dogs can learn new tricks.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.