General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Talk to me about Michigan Titanium, especially the bike hills Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-06-26 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Subject: Talk to me about Michigan Titanium, especially the bike hills
I've been training this winter and spring with a tentative eye on the Michigan Titanium 70.3 in August, less than two months away. (EEEEK!!!) I've got two Olympics under my belt and have done a bunch of marathons, so as long as I keep getting some bike mileage in these next few weeks, I think I'll do OK. (I'm up to 46 miles and change as of last week.) I'm looking to finish without embarrassing myself.

I'm looking at the maps on the website, but could use some info from people who have done it before. It says the course has "total ascent of 760.21 ft" -- but I'm a newbie, so I don't really know what that means. Is it a lot? I see what looks like two decent climbs on the course elevation, but how bad are they really?

FWIW, I usually bike at Island Lake, which has a few decent hills for SE Michigan, and Hines Drive. Are the "hills" at Island Lake training enough?

Thanks for any tips you can give me!

2014-06-29 1:35 PM
in reply to: #5017887

Subject: RE: Talk to me about Michigan Titanium, especially the bike hills
I think you'll do GREAT! That amount of climbing doesn't seem very bad at all. Take a few trips out Kensington for a couple of longer hills in addition to Island Lake and you will be just fine. Good luck with your first HIM!
2014-06-30 8:39 AM
in reply to: Spartypants

Regular
, Ohio
I have been wondering the same thing about the bike and run. I completed IM Louisville and Rev3 Cedar Point Full along with numerous half-distances. Michigan is new territory and there is not a lot of information about the race. I see the CAT for the bike is 5, according to the research this is the weakest and easiest of all. Thoughts?
2014-07-02 10:55 AM
in reply to: jletterhos

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Well, I signed up.

I'm glad to see the bike is rated as a Cat 5, hahaha.
2014-07-02 7:10 PM

User image

Colorado Springs, Colorado
I've done MiTi both years and loved it! I trained exclusively on Hines Drive my first time through and didn't have any problems with the bike course. The hills are a little longer, and there are quite a few more of them. The first 10 or so miles is mostly uphill so just make sure you don't burn yourself out going to hard. My main issue with the bike course was the road quality. The race is run on country roads, so the ride isn't as smooth as Hines, and there is one 50 ft stretch with rim wrecking potholes on a downhill around miles 30 in(i think) so watch out for that. But after getting two nails through my tire in the last four rides at Hines I'd say overall MiTi is still better. Oh, and there isn't much shade on the bike and the first 1.5 miles of the run so stay hydrated. Good luck!
2014-07-02 7:49 PM
in reply to: iLOVEwaffles

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Great tips, thank you!

2014-07-24 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I did it last year and would agree with an earlier poster that the hills are sufficient and steep enough that you want to not overdo it too early...

As for the road quality, a buddy rode the course two weeks ago and he said the really bad sections have been repaired so it should be a much better experience this year.  There definitely was a section of road that was flat out dangerous either with how your bike/rims responded to the potholes OR if you attempted to swerve and cut someone off....

2014-07-24 1:24 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by TriMike

There definitely was a section of road that was flat out dangerous either with how your bike/rims responded to the potholes OR if you attempted to swerve and cut someone off....

Hi TriMIke, do you mean that this part is still bad, or that it HAD been bad and has since been repaired? Hoping it's the latter!
2014-07-24 2:26 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown

There definitely was a section of road that was flat out dangerous either with how your bike/rims responded to the potholes OR if you attempted to swerve and cut someone off....

Hi TriMIke, do you mean that this part is still bad, or that it HAD been bad and has since been repaired? Hoping it's the latter!

My understanding is all bad sections have been fixed... My buddy rode the course and said it was much better than last year. 

2014-07-25 9:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown

My understanding is all bad sections have been fixed... My buddy rode the course and said it was much better than last year. 

Hooray! That makes me feel a lot better. =)
2014-08-06 10:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
OK, MiTitanium alumni, I have another question. This time: wetsuits.

I reached out to one of the race organizers about the lake temperature. He responded with this:

"The current water temp is 75degrees
Last year it was 76 for the race and 77 for the race in 2012."

I haven't worn a wetsuit since early in the season. These temperatures seem pretty warm to me. I want to be as fast as possible on the swim, but I don't want to overheat. And I've already spent a bunch of money on this race and would like to avoid buying a sleeveless wetsuit if possible.

Thoughts?

2014-08-06 4:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

That's a great question.  Last year I wore a sleeveless wetsuit and was fine on temps.  This season I purchased a long sleeve wetsuit and have worn it a number of times however it was much colder water so I can't answer whether I would have overheated in water in the mid to upper 70's...

I would say if they aren't disallowing wetsuits due to temps, go ahead and use an existing LS wetsuit if that's what you have. 

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the reason race directors disallow wetsuits at certain temps is safety so if they'll allow them you theoretically should be fine....

2014-08-20 7:03 AM

I peddled the course this weekend and two of the stretches had recently been "chip & tar'ed". The short stretch of Canonsburg road had been done since I was down it three days before but wasn't too terrible to ride on. Most of the loose gravel was gone or off to the side.
That stretch is less than a mile.
Murray lake road was a different story. The intersection with 5 mile was mounded with gravel and was challenging to negotiate on a TT bike. Glad I went to 25 mm tires! There were about 2-3 miles of gravel then it got better.
Monday the RD sent an email that the course has been changed, but the map shows what I peddled. I emailed to ask if that was the correct map. Haven't heard back. Anyhow, be prepared for a bit of cyclocross!
2014-08-20 7:34 AM
in reply to: jaymcjay

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by jaymcjay I peddled the course this weekend and two of the stretches had recently been "chip & tar'ed". The short stretch of Canonsburg road had been done since I was down it three days before but wasn't too terrible to ride on. Most of the loose gravel was gone or off to the side. That stretch is less than a mile. Murray lake road was a different story. The intersection with 5 mile was mounded with gravel and was challenging to negotiate on a TT bike. Glad I went to 25 mm tires! There were about 2-3 miles of gravel then it got better. Monday the RD sent an email that the course has been changed, but the map shows what I peddled. I emailed to ask if that was the correct map. Haven't heard back. Anyhow, be prepared for a bit of cyclocross!

Is the course you rode the "new" course?  Mi/Ti made an announcement that they've got a new course however I didn't look it up to view changes because I'm not doing the event this year.

Loose gravel on a TT bike would be a nightmare...

Good luck to all...

2014-08-20 8:27 AM

That's where I'm unclear. In the RD ' S email he said that the course had been changed due to recent road construction. Both gravel second looked fresh so my suspicion is that the course is being changed away from those sections, but the map posted on the Web page still shows those gravel stretches.
Those two roads weren't ideal, but they were passable. The corner onto Murray lake road required slowing down to not wipe out.
2014-08-20 9:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

The map I pulled up is the new course.  They have you on Cannonsburg/5-mile for a tiny section on the way out, just to get to Murray Lake but a longer section from Lincoln Lake back to Gavin Lake.

I haven't seen all of Cannonsburg/5-mile but would assume it's chip seal/stones all the way to Lincoln Lake... My only encounter was riding North on Egypt Valley with the intent to head East on Cannonsburg.  Didn't happen...

I'm familiar with most of the new route and can't remember any chip seal/stones other than Cannonsburg (5-mile) but I could be wrong...

2014-08-20 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
You guys are making me nervous. =( I'm several hours away so I won't be able to ride the course beforehand, although I will drive it. I'm not looking forward to dealing with loose gravel!
2014-08-20 6:42 PM
in reply to: #5019019

User image

Kind of related question... Best spot to spectate? I completed my first tri last weekend and only love a few miles away. Thought it might be fun to go yell at random people and watch how they do things.
2014-08-20 7:35 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

It depends on how much of the race you want to spectate.  The swim is pretty straightforward, parking across the street is hit or miss depending on when you arrive and whether the business owners try to restrict parking for their customers.  Seems like there was a warning last year on where to park and where not to..

The bike could literally be anywhere, I'd say out near Murray Lake wouild be a place to consider as you'll see riders on the way out and the way back (for each leg).  I don't believe any roads are closed for the bike so you can get pretty much anywhere.

The run already has the signs posted stating that Grand River and 3-mile are closed due to an event on 8/24 so it's only the odd few cars that go through, traffic is really minimal (in other words do you want to drive down those roads assuming that's not where you live).  3-mile at Hoag is good (assuming the run course is the same as the last two years) as it's the turnaround for each leg so you could see runners for a long time at that lonely long slow uphill that feels like a frickin' mountain...

2014-08-20 9:23 PM

The map I pulled up is the new course.  They have you on Cannonsburg/5-mile for a tiny section on the way out, just to get to Murray Lake but a longer section from Lincoln Lake back to Gavin Lake.

I haven't seen all of Cannonsburg/5-mile but would assume it's chip seal/stones all the way to Lincoln Lake... My only encounter was riding North on Egypt Valley with the intent to head East on Cannonsburg.  Didn't happen...

I'm familiar with most of the new route and can't remember any chip seal/stones other than Cannonsburg (5-mile) but I could be wrong...

The two sections of gravel I came across were Canonsburg road between the East Belt line and brewer, and Murray lake between 5 mile Lally.

not the end of the world, but not what I expected.
2014-08-22 12:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

Miles...  

Nothing to add about the course.  Just wanted to wish you good luck this weekend, hope you have a great race!!

2014-08-23 8:25 AM
in reply to: caffer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by caffer

Miles...  

Nothing to add about the course.  Just wanted to wish you good luck this weekend, hope you have a great race!!

THANK YOU!!! I just got back from the practice swim. Water is great. Going to eat, hydrate, drive the bike course and try to relax today. =)
2014-08-23 12:24 PM

At the pre race meeting now.
Good luck to all tomorrow!

:D
2014-08-23 2:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by jaymcjay

At the pre race meeting now.
Good luck to all tomorrow!

:D

I was there too! Good luck!
2014-08-24 4:03 PM
in reply to: #5041786

Hope it went well!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Talk to me about Michigan Titanium, especially the bike hills Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Michigan Titanium - MI/TI - Race report

Started by TriMike
Views: 2839 Posts: 13

2013-09-01 11:55 AM kevinneumann

Hill/Climbing Training in SW Michigan

Started by kevinneumann
Views: 1844 Posts: 11

2012-07-18 11:55 AM kevinneumann

Awesome West Michigan Hill Ride

Started by grandhavenbill
Views: 1201 Posts: 7

2008-04-15 8:43 PM smdeur

Michigan Bike Routes

Started by fromer
Views: 847 Posts: 4

2007-05-01 8:01 PM fromer

Bike shops in Michigan

Started by KRCSWO
Views: 1311 Posts: 14

2006-03-09 1:58 PM KRCSWO
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 10, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with AdventureBear, aka Coach Suzanne on her coaching philosophy, approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : December 15, 2008
author : bigfella3
comments : 12
And then I saw it. I got to "The Hill." It looked a bit innocent really, in reflection - just a little hill, with the road bending around to the left...
date : December 20, 2007
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : March 22, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on indoor bike workouts, IM fueling, coke or broth, bikes and swimming exercises.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
I’m terrified of biking hills and the triathlon I am registered for has several hills…on AND off road!! I’m willing to do whatever it takes to finish this triathlon. Any guidance?

date : January 24, 2005
author : Don Magie
A better bike is not the answer to meeting your performance goals. I mean if you gave Nike running shoes to a tortoise would he move any faster?