General Discussion Triathlon Talk » your favorite IM swim location Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-06-27 10:05 AM

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: your favorite IM swim location
Hello all!

Looking into doing an IM in the next couple years. IMAZ is right in my back yard practically so logistically, it's the most reasonable one to do first...but the swim isn't my favorite. Tempe Town Lake is a man made lake that is pretty disgusting, murky and can be quite cold by the time November rolls around. I've done every tri I've ever done at this lake, so I'm familiar with it's advantages (calm, no wind, no critters/jelly fish, close shoreline) and disadvantages (zero visibility, smelly etc). I've also done every one of my tri races in Tempe, so the never ending bike loops and same old run course is getting a bit tiresome. Thinking I should maybe branch out a little bit. I would love to do a race that is more scenic or varied with a nicer swim venue...curious to know where are people's favorite locations.

There are advantages to being very familiar with a race course, but I think I'm ready for a change.

Boulder could be a possibility and may do the 70.3 next year.

So comparing the swim of the IM races, what are people's favorites and why?? Thanks for any suggestions!

2014-06-27 10:34 AM
in reply to: runspingirl

Regular
Brighton MA
Subject: RE: your favorite IM swim location
if were talking Ironman ONLY. ive only done one but mirror lake for IMLP is PRISTINE! clear, clean visibility to the bottom is great and there is a line/wire in the water to help everyone swim 1.2mi X2 straight. it was just fabulous. As for swims in 70.3, Lake Winnipasakie in NH for timberman. again so clear and clean. you can see to the bottom half a mile off shore. Both of these swims are just amazing. favorite 2 by far.
2014-06-27 12:13 PM
in reply to: espejo09

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
x10 on Timberman -- best place to swim I've ever been in. It was fantastic. Clear, clean, flat, warm. As close to a pool as a lake could be
2014-06-27 12:32 PM

User image

I've only done AZ and Whistler... so.... Whistler! 

2014-06-27 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I love IMFL's swim assuming the waves aren't 8' high.

2014-06-27 3:42 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Master
, California

I thought the Western Australia race was awesome because you get to swim around the Busselton jetty, which is conveniently about half the IM distance:

The water is warm, but still wetsuit legal, and clear and just had light rollers at least when I was there.  The only drawback (for some) is swimming in salt water.

The Lake Tahoe swim was surreal with the fog coming off the water.  That's another crystal clear lake swim but I wouldn't recommend that race for a first time IM.

2014-06-27 4:33 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

The ones I have done are all so different - I am not sure I could pick a "favorite" of these three:

Wisconsin: mass start (do they still do this?), constant bumps and contact, typical dark lake water, wives tales about water snakes, dead body pulled out the day before. 

Louisville: time trial start in Ohio River, murky/dirty, alleged current on the 2nd half, athlete had heart issue and passed away 10 minutes before I entered, no contact whatsoever, not wesuit legal

Vineman: small wave start, river, hair-like moss the entire time, extremely shallow so you could walk in many areas, minimal contact, noticeable current on the back half

2014-06-28 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
IMMT has a great swim. super clear and scenic !

2014-06-28 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I agree, IMWA swim was amazing..although I was a bit concerned about Mr. Toothy...
2014-06-29 3:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Only done one - a small iron distance event here in Ireland but it was the nicest swim I've ever done! The Hardman in Killarney, Kerry - would highly recommend it if any of you are ever looking to do a race in Ireland.

Edited by grahamclarke_6 2014-06-29 3:49 AM

(Hardman swim start.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Hardman swim start.jpg (11KB - 9 downloads)
2014-06-29 1:39 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Love all these suggestions! Thanks so much!

I think if I could go anywhere - I'd pick the Western Australia - WOW, that looks amazing!

Logistically, I'd love to find something closer to the West coast. As much as I think going to IMLP would be amazing, financially I don't think it would be possible.

I was considering Vineman, but 'mossy like grass" during the swim doesn't sound too appealing :-)!

Thanks and any other suggestions? Keep em coming!!

2014-06-29 2:01 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by runspingirl Love all these suggestions! Thanks so much! I think if I could go anywhere - I'd pick the Western Australia - WOW, that looks amazing! Logistically, I'd love to find something closer to the West coast. As much as I think going to IMLP would be amazing, financially I don't think it would be possible. I was considering Vineman, but 'mossy like grass" during the swim doesn't sound too appealing :-)! Thanks and any other suggestions? Keep em coming!!

Maybe Los Cabos?  Still technically west coast?   Cozumel also has a great swim although it doesn't allow wetsuits.

Obviously if you live in Arizona then you'll save the most money by racing near home.  Anything requiring a big drive or flight is going to hit the wallet more.  Mexico might be the least expensive for a destination type race, though.

2014-06-29 9:30 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Very true, Arizona is the most reasonable choice, and it isn't out, just looking for options and what the swim was like at others.

While IMLP and IMMT really sound awesome, not knowing anyone in that area and it being far away, might not fit into my life.
But, others sound intriguing, even though it would involve some travel.

Florida - my in laws live in South Florida, so we could go there and have family to help out, plus a place to stay for the majority of the time.

Boulder - can drive from AZ and we have 6 families that we could possibly stay with that live in the Denver/Boulder area.

Wisconsin - some family friends live in Madison, and my husband's sister lives in Minneapolis, so staying in MN and then driving over to Madison would be a possibility.

Vineman - could drive there and we have some friends that live close by.

Lake Tahoe - another drivable location, but after hearing stories, not sure I could handle the cold temps.

Whistler - not convenient but I love that part of Canada and would love to race up there!

I haven't heard great things about the swim at IMTX or Louisville. not sure I would sign up for those. I'm more of a mountain girl and climbing is my strength over speed, so having a fast flat race isn't that important.

decisions decisions!

2014-06-30 6:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

IMFL is on the northern panhandle of Florida in Panama City Beach.  That's about 600 miles from south Florida.

2014-06-30 7:13 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

IMFL is on the northern panhandle of Florida in Panama City Beach.  That's about 600 miles from south Florida.

LOL, yeah, I just did the calculations after I posted - eek! A bit further than I thought. Found it would take 7 hours to drive from one point to the other.

Trying to figure out cost for the travel to another location. IMAZ is looking more and more reasonable,even if the swim is yucky.
2014-06-30 8:06 AM

User image

Sarnia
If you're not set on IM branded races, the Beach to Battleship in NC is a GREAT swim. They time the race with the incoming tide so the swim almost feels like cheating a little, but leaves you definitely ready to hit the bike out of the water.

2014-06-30 12:14 PM

User image

I think if I were to go to one race just for the swim experience, it would be western australia, swimming around that pier looks awesome

2014-07-01 8:03 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Ironman Texas............ j/k.    Mirror Lake for IMLP is amazing

2014-07-05 8:28 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks for everyone's input! Really helps to get lots of perspective!!

So looks like I have scaled it down to these races:

IMAZ - of course - but the swim sucks. All my family and friends are here so the support would be huge! I train on the course all the time. No travel involved.

IMBoulder - lots of family and friends there so it would be fun to race and the time of year is convenient as well. Plus it's drivable, and we are very familiar with Colorado - vacation there every year.

IMOO - Family/friends in Minnesota and Madison so I could maybe convince my parents to fly out as well. We 'could' drive but it would be a long 3 days!

IMCdA - another possible drivable locations (again, a few LONG days) but we know people in Boise and a town a few hours away from CDA).
I would do this just because it looks spectacular - and have friends that did this as their 1st IM and said it was the best decision.

So......The cons of these courses would be:

IMAZ - boring course and yucky swim
IMBoulder - ALTITUDE and possible hot weather (although I live and train in AZ so really, I'm used to it).
IMOO - One of the hardest bike courses for a U.S. IM...although biking is my strength.
IMCdA - the most remote of all races and I 've heard the weather can be very unpredictable.

Decisions decisions.
2014-07-06 12:22 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Coeur d'Alene was my first IM.  It has a beautiful lake and community support is top notch.  Also since the race is north and at the end of June, it stays light out till after 9pm.  But the lake can also be very cold - I think it was 61F the first year I did it and 54F the second.  I wouldn't tell you to avoid racing it, but just be aware.  You'll definitely want to bring a neoprene cap and possibly booties.  They tend to sell out very quickly on site

Edit: honestly if I put myself in your shoes, I'd probably race Arizona.  You can't put a value on friends and family support at your first race.  Plus you will perform best racing in the region you already live and train in.  People are more willing to branch out and sign up for a 2nd race if they have a positive experience in their first one.

Edited by spudone 2014-07-06 12:27 PM
2014-07-31 9:38 AM
in reply to: #5018355

User image

I vote AZ for your first. You have swam in that lake, which is a huge advantage! You can probably sleep in your own bed! i doing IMFL and wish I would have considered how difficult and expensive it would be. I just wanted in at the time! If I had a do-over I would do IMWI because its 5 hours away and i could toss my bike on the car and drive up 2 days before. Agree that having the support of family and friends (and the familiarity of the venue) is priceless!

2014-08-02 10:12 AM

Regular
avon, montana
IMWA also my favorite!
2014-08-03 7:23 PM
in reply to: titurtle

User image

Canyon, Texas
I loved CdA but I simply cannot fathom a nicer swim location than Lake Tahoe. Crystal clear water; visibility is almost endless. The lake water tastes as good as bottled water. The weather might be cold on race day but the water is not much colder than most Northern races. The water at IMTX is why I will not return to that venue. I couldn't even see my elbows in that mess.
2014-08-03 11:19 PM

User image

Lake Tahoe may be cold but it is absolutely beautiful. That would definitely #1 in my list. Vineman has the drawback that it's shallow so you have contact with the bottom every once in a while but the surroundings (redwoods, forest) are very beautiful. I did it last week and the view with the sun coming over the trees was just good for the soul. Finally Sand Hollow for IM St. George 70.3 has to rate up there for one of the most beautiful places to swim in at the Ironman circuit.
2014-08-04 6:50 PM
in reply to: #5033170

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
IM Whistler swim venue is spectacular. Snow covered peaks all around you and cool clear water. Beats IMCdA easily in my opinion.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » your favorite IM swim location Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Favorite IM bike nutrition

Started by TriRx
Views: 2213 Posts: 22

2010-06-26 6:59 PM jasonkoss

My new favorite IM swim set.

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1509 Posts: 9

2009-01-26 3:21 PM ChrisM

Your Favorite IM Venue

Started by Selachophobia
Views: 2069 Posts: 22

2008-07-11 3:53 AM katimomma

What's Your Favorite Half IM Race?

Started by atlrunnergirl
Views: 1480 Posts: 18

2007-11-18 7:10 PM atlrunnergirl

1/2 IM Locations

Started by PSUinTX
Views: 2003 Posts: 16

2005-02-16 12:46 AM COgirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 5, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on an eating plan to lose weight, lean protein sources, being hungry, recovery foods, eggs and Marni's favorite supplements.

date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?
date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.