General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GA Olympics in the Spring Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-27 11:21 AM

Subject: GA Olympics in the Spring
Hi all, just a quick question while maybe these are fresh on your minds from this year.

I recently did my first Century on the bike and am planning to try for a full marathon later this year (kind of some bucket-list type of things). I've done several sprint triathlons and really want to aim for an olympic in the spring of 2015.

I've looked at the Peachtree City and Jekyll (Turtle Crawl) Olympics as well as the West Point. I'm leaning towards either the Peachtree or the Turtle Crawl.

Since this may be a one time thing (not sure about that though), I'd like to pick the one that has the best overall 'experience'. I'm not competing to finish near the top just want to finish in the middle of my group (40-44) and have a great time.

Anyone have any feedback to offer between these two? If I did the Peachtree, I'd probably just go solo (I'm in NE GA) or if I did the Jekyll, I'd probably ship the boys off to the grandfolks and bring the wife to make a long weekend of it.

Thanks in advance for any words of advice!

2014-06-30 2:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: GA Olympics in the Spring

I can only speak to the Turtle Crawl, but it is well worth doing.  Jekyll is a great vacation destination race and I really enjoy the course.  The bike is long, 2 laps of the island for a total of 29 miles so that can make times appear a little slow compared to standard Olympics.  The swim can vary.  I've raced it the last two years, one time we had the current and once we were against the current.  That can make a huge difference, but eh, everybody has to make the same swim.  The only real negative I see is that a different company has put on the race each of the last three years, so not sure why that is, but consistency could be an issue if they can't settle on one production company and let them work to enhance the race and make it better each year.

Edit:  You can read my race report from this year's Turtle Crawl at my blog link below to get a little better feel for the race.

Edited by Dominion 2014-06-30 2:13 PM
2014-07-01 7:50 PM
in reply to: Dominion

Thanks, Vet., for the feedback. I read your race report from Jekyll. Good info! Great results for you!
2014-07-03 5:56 AM
in reply to: SunBum

User image

Regular
Georgia
If you are in the area, the Peachtree International Triathlon, in Peachtree City is a great race. It is well supported and gets excellent reviews every year. This year there was a change of venue due to Lake Peachtree being drained. That caused some problems. Lake Peachtree is supposed to be usable next year. Having raced and been a volunteer at the PIT for several years, you won't find one that is better run.
2015-02-16 10:39 PM
in reply to: SunBum

I've done the Turtle Crawl the last two years and it was great. Very well organized (compared to Jax Beach Tri Series - only other tri I've done) and fun place to race (and vacation if you're bringing along family). I'd highly recommend Jekyll, but second the other commentor's sentiments about the bike course. Long and a little boring at times. Also, tide was horribly against us last year. Overall, great race!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GA Olympics in the Spring Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

good TV channel for watching the Olympics

Started by Spider
Views: 671 Posts: 5

2008-08-03 11:47 AM Spider

More tivo...Olympics

Started by abbagej
Views: 739 Posts: 2

2008-07-30 10:30 AM kuotaguy

Beautiful Back Roads Century - Cartersville, GA

Started by am6ja4
Views: 1084 Posts: 8

2005-11-15 7:56 AM huengsolo

Beast of the East HIM--GA

Started by run4yrlif
Views: 697 Posts: 1

2005-08-30 8:30 AM run4yrlif

GA: Callaway Gardens Labor Day Weekend Tri

Started by swimmingstinks!
Views: 1358 Posts: 10

2005-09-06 4:11 PM huengsolo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Team BT
2003 Ultraman World Champion.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.