General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crud. I think I've entered the Overtraining Zone Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-27 1:27 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Crud. I think I've entered the Overtraining Zone

So...some funky things have been going on with my heart rate for the last 4 weeks or so.  My normal resting heart rate is 54 but for the past few weeks it has been consistently hovering between 64-66.  My training has been a bit sluggish but what was really concerning me was my heart rate was spiking very high soon into the cycle or run session and would stay high even with a slowed effort.  For example my Z2 running is 133-150.  Up until about 5 weeks ago, I would have to work very hard to get up to 140-143.  On my run this morning, my HR spiked right up to 151. The run did start uphill, but even when it leveled out, and I was running much slower than usual, my HR stayed elevated in the upper 140s.  The end of the run was a sufferfest--I had to stop a few times on a hill that I can easily run.   I researched a bit on overtraining and it seems all signs point to exactly this.  I have not taken much time off in the last 2 months--and those two months include an April Oly, May 70.3 and a June Oly.  Even before that, I don't think I have rested properly.  Anyone else deal with this?  Any suggestions on how to 'rest effectively' and start back properly? 

2014-06-27 1:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Crud. I think I've entered the Overtraining Zone

IF it is truly over training rather than over reaching; the recovery process may take quite a while.

I suspect (From seeing your daily workout posts) that it is probably NOT an issue of over training but you would know better than I would. Some rest would be great with a focus on nutrition and treating any aches and pains you may be experiencing. As a matter of course, I usually schedule periods like this in my training even without symptoms. (Doing one next week in fact)

Here is an article on the progression:

http://phe800.blogspot.com/2014/05/when-you-dig-yourself-into-hole-part-i.html

The runner who writes this blog is very entertaining. (She is a friend of one of the runners in my group) Here is another more technical article on the topic of overtraining/overreaching that might also prove helpful:

http://running.competitor.com/2013/09/training/what-is-overtraining_32897

Edited by WaterDog66 2014-06-27 1:39 PM
2014-06-27 1:56 PM

User image

Elite

I sure hope it's over reaching and that I have caught it in time.  Thanks for the articles!  I'll be reading them in my hammock! 

I have not followed any kind of periodization with recovery weeks and I think that may be the culprit.

Just read the articles and yup, I'm right in between. I think this has been a long slow build up of improper rest over the last few years. I definitely am stubborn when it comes to my training and don't listen to my body like I should. So... I will rest and build back up.

Edited by ingleshteechur 2014-06-27 2:10 PM
2014-06-27 2:03 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

New user
penticton
it s actually pretty hard to overtrain someone to the point of needed extensive period of recovery. with most people, simply reducing the training load for a few weeks would be enough. The problem is that often, people rest until they feel good and turn it ON again right away. It s important to have a balance and proper long term approach.

And don't get confused with periodization and recovery week. Periodization simply mean training general to specific.... and recovery week are not needed for athletes that use a good balance approach were consistency and recovery within the structure of each week is included.

i don't like recovery week for my athletes.... if we needed one, it s that we did something wrong to start with....

recovery week as taper...yes
2014-06-27 2:14 PM
in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Elite
Thank you for your response. That is exactly what I've done for the past few years--taken a day of rest, feel good and charge right back into it. I'm hoping by taking a few days off and then easing back into my training will do the trick.
2014-06-27 2:20 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

A quick thought: has the heat and humidity in your area risen significantly in the time period (last 4 weeks) you've been having trouble? I know for me this is a big factor for my elevated heart rate and my effort level has to increase, always at a rate more than I expect.

2014-06-27 2:36 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Originally posted by lisac957

A quick thought: has the heat and humidity in your area risen significantly in the time period (last 4 weeks) you've been having trouble? I know for me this is a big factor for my elevated heart rate and my effort level has to increase, always at a rate more than I expect.

This is a great question.  Humidity does drive increased HR due to the reduced effectiveness of sweating driving up body temp, body compensates by working harder to cool.  Increased HR.

I notice it all the time on humid days, pace and HR don't seem to be in line.

that said, rest days are training days and should be used to full advantage.

2014-06-27 3:42 PM
in reply to: dewybuck

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
It could be Cardiac drift in relation to the heat humidity.
2014-06-27 3:45 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Elite

Originally posted by lisac957

That's a great question!  However, I live in the desert and while it does get hot, our humidity is pretty low--20% give or take.  I run early in the morning before it gets too hot.  

2014-06-27 4:06 PM

I agree, much less likely overtraining, and more likely closer to something like overreaching. 

I typically get similar symptoms of higher HRs for slower paces, sensations of fatigue, and other not-good feelings when I'm hitting peak volume in my training cycle. Even my sleep gets a bit funky and somewhat irregular, and I get a bit grumpy. Joe Friel warns about this in his Training Bible when you're hitting peak training volume so you don't get freaked out. That's part of the beat-down before you get stronger cycle. 

True overtraining usually requires big-time sustained jumps in training that for AGers, are usually quite obvious due to the very high volume and often on a plan that you're sticking to like glue even though is clearly overreaching. Whereas training fatigue cycles are very common and transient.

Edited by yazmaster 2014-06-27 4:07 PM
2014-06-27 4:09 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Elite

Originally posted by yazmaster

I agree, much less likely overtraining, and more likely closer to something like overreaching. 

I typically get similar symptoms of higher HRs for slower paces, sensations of fatigue, and other not-good feelings when I'm hitting peak volume in my training cycle. Even my sleep gets a bit funky and somewhat irregular, and I get a bit grumpy. Joe Friel warns about this in his Training Bible when you're hitting peak training volume so you don't get freaked out. That's part of the beat-down before you get stronger cycle. 

True overtraining usually requires big-time sustained jumps in training that for AGers, are usually quite obvious. 

What you describe is about where I'm at.  I just couldn't figure out why my heart rate gets so high but even a slowed pace felt so much more labored.  My run this morning was awful. 

So, what did you do to get back to stronger cycles of training?

2014-06-27 6:00 PM

Pullback week.

If you're not feeling significantly better after 14 days, then start looking for a medical problem or real overtraining. 

2014-06-27 10:39 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'd back off hard training for a week or so (and a 10 mile run isn't backing off, unless maybe you're Macca or Rinny, and even then, maybe not), and then see how you feel doing lower-intensity stuff. If that goes okay and HR seems normal, gradually get back to normal training. I see your workouts most days (to tell myself I have no excuse to be lazy LOL) and you have been hitting it hard for a long time. I honestly would have trouble tolerating that load plus full-time teaching and getting back to training so soon after races.

Other possible causes of elevated heart rate and fatigue could be a low-grade virus that doesn't really make you sick but saps your energy, inadequate calories or hydration, even something like low iron that's putting your body under additional stress. From what you posted on the other thread, maybe a doctor visit is in order if a little rest doesn't clear things up.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-06-27 10:44 PM
2014-06-27 11:07 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Scottsdale, AZ
I agree with what everyone has said - and sorry you are dealing with this - stinks!

But I do think you should be able to come back quickly! I'm like you and will keep plugging along until it hits me like a ton of bricks. I usually get really sick - like lay in bed for 3 days sick and then have a couple really easy days to start back up again.

I also believe in taking a FULL day off with no training at all every week. No easy runs, no easy swims, just a day where I don't have to worry about training and can focus on sleeping in and recharging. I think that is how I've managed to stay ahead of the over reaching game.

Sometimes I don't take a day off, either because I'm subbing a class on a day I would normally do something else, so my schedule gets off track and I train 7 days a week. I find that it doesn't affect me the week or two after, but builds over time and then hits HARD!

You are lucky you have been paying attention and keeping track of your HR and really been in tune with your body! You do put in some killer workouts, even with your fun stuff like MTB or running with your kids.

I'd say take a couple days off and do nothing - prioritize sleep and eat lots of good food (like we discussed) and you should feel better. You won't lose any fitness and will probably come back refreshed and stronger.

Like you, I'm a desert rat, but this time of year the humidity comes and goes and with the heat, can still be a factor. Keep hydrated and properly fueled!

Hope you feel better soon!!
2014-06-28 7:00 AM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Elite
Thank you all for your replies! I am going to take two full days off and take next week easy. I think this has been a culmination of being in a continual training mode with too little rest. Definitely a good lesson learned!
2014-06-28 7:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
A friend of mine is also a teacher, like you, and in her first or second week of summer vacation, she was doing her long ride followed by a short run. On her run, which was supposed to be something like 20 minutes, she completely fell apart to the point she needed someone to come out and pick her up. With the additional time to train, she bumped up her volume...at the same time, she was also doing more active stuff (cleaning, yard work, errands, etc) when she'd normally be "resting" (working), and she wasn't keeping herself well hydrated. If this feeling of overreaching coincides with the start of summer vacation for you, it's something to consider. Pay attention to what you're asking of yourself (additional CC runs?) and make sure you're hydrating, fueling, and recovering sufficiently.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crud. I think I've entered the Overtraining Zone Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HITS - Best transition zone I've been at!

Started by yazmaster
Views: 898 Posts: 7

2013-04-14 10:03 AM KateTri1

crud...now I've done it

Started by bel83
Views: 2041 Posts: 11

2009-02-07 2:55 PM lkagop

I've entered, but can I finish?

Started by divegirlrox
Views: 1662 Posts: 15

2008-08-07 2:39 AM divegirlrox

I think I've offended the cycling gods

Started by mike9521
Views: 674 Posts: 5

2006-09-11 9:27 PM TBZ

I think I've found my bike!!

Started by Crash_Man
Views: 1371 Posts: 7

2004-04-14 12:07 PM tony1331
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 29, 2012
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
I am having a difficulty getting my heart rate up on my last workout. Is this a sign of overtraining?

date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone
date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.

date : January 16, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
In running, when trying to increase your distance, you don't want to add more than about 10% a week to avoid injury from overtraining. Is there a similar limit with swimming?
date : April 12, 2007
comments : 4
Warmup tips. Swim, bike and run pacing and heart-rate zones to be in by mileage.

date : November 7, 2006
Training our bodies to work efficiently in Zone 2 will help us keep our HR and pace even throughout an Ironman. This theory would hold true for the bike and run portion of an Ironman race.