Score This
69F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 10m 37s
Overall Rank = 46/89
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0400, ate vanilla Greek yogurt, 1/2 banana, handful of nuts, coffee, 1/2 blueberry bagel.
Event warmup:

Walk around transition, stretched, short bike ride to check bike.
Swim
  • 31m 52s
  • 2200 yards
  • 01m 27s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I got off course slightly once. I would be more attentive to staying close to other athletes throughout the swim.
Transition 1
  • 05m 39s
Comments:

Long t times is a given for me. Blood sugar rating and insulin pump set up takes a few extra minutes. No worries. I accept it.

Use the suit strippers on the beach.
Bike
  • 3h 13m 24s
  • 48 miles
  • 14.89 mile/hr
Comments:

First aid station was 14 miles into the bike. I ran out of water about 3miles from the aid station on loop two. I still had electrolyte /carb drink, but I wanted to drink water at that point. Wish water station was at mile 10.

Insulin strategy was 60% basal, ~25 g carb per 30 minutes. 1 salt stick pill every 30 minutes.

Not much. Felt very comfortable on the hills, max grade ~7%. Was able to keep cadence around 80 for most of the climbs.
Transition 2
  • 05m 49s
Comments:

Again, blood sugar testing, pump setting adjustments. I'm happy.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 13m 53s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 10m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Definitely will need to slow down pace for IM.

Figure out how to get calves feeling loose from the start of the run. Tight calves for three miles is my only complaint.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around,

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My body weight, ~165 and overall fitness level. These are long term issues. I felt great on race day. I can't think of any major mistakes and my nutrition strategy kept me feeling strong all day.

Event comments:

Move water aid station from mile 14 to mile 10 on the bike. Disappointed that my age group podium pic did not get saved. Photographer made a mistake and my podium pic got lost. :(

Otherwise, no complaints.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-02-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:52 | 2200 yards | 01m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 0/89
Performance: Good
Felt strong from the start. I like being around other athletes. Mentally, the crowd does not bother me. I like to attempt to draft and sight off the caps of other athletes. I don't sight as well when I am alone swimming. I tried to get back into the crowd the few times I found myself away from groups.
Suit: Full sleeve Zoot
Course: Two loops. Exit water after loop one, 50 y run across the beach to re enter water for loop 2. Buoys on right side throughout.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:39
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:13:24 | 48 miles | 14.89 mile/hr
Average HR, 140 >3500 feet of climb total.
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops, one large ascent, one large descent. Road conditions were terrible on this half of the course. Large pot holes, seems in pavement. Had to ride slower than I otherwise would have on ether descent due to poor road conditions. Second ascent and decent on the loop was new, smooth pavement. So much fun to ride.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 05:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:13:53 | 13.2 miles | 10m 08s  min/mile
Average HR 143 Reduced insulin to 50% basal. ~25 g carb per 30 minutes. 1salt stick pill per 30 minutes. Started with the Run 1 mile, walk 1 minute strategy. My calves were soooo tight for first three miles, then loosened up nicely.
Course: Rolling hills throughout with a few short, steep climbs. Got to the point where I walked the aid stations and hills. Ran steady otherwise. Felt strong even when restarting my run after the walk.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-28 1:38 AM

User image

New user
Subject: pain in the Alleganies
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » pain in the Alleganies Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pain in the Alleganies Triathlon - Short Course

Started by swede1978
Views: 954 Posts: 1

2013-09-25 4:12 PM swede1978

Pain in the Alleganies Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by feelingroovy
Views: 834 Posts: 1

2012-10-13 2:36 PM feelingroovy

Pain in the Alleganies Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by swede1978
Views: 1424 Posts: 1

2012-09-24 7:32 AM swede1978

Great Allegany Run

Started by dandr614
Views: 964 Posts: 1

2010-10-02 12:09 PM dandr614

Labor Pain 12 hour endurance trail run

Started by wolchr
Views: 2408 Posts: 7

2010-09-08 6:05 AM 50yearoldbaby
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 21, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!

date : March 23, 2011
comments : 0
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.
date : December 28, 2009
I have a very annoying pain under my knee cap. It does not hurt when I run or ride. It hurts a lot when I swim and when I walk up or down stairs. The pain is a searing pain. Help!

date : January 3, 2008
Hip or pelvic pain is a common complaint for runners and can range from severe problems, such as stress fractures or arthritis, to mild problems, such as muscle strains or bursitis.
date : March 6, 2007
Joint and muscle pains are a known and reported side-effect of Tapazole, and are not particularly dose-related or known to be caused by a particular action of the medication.

date : January 16, 2007
The long runs, before your training was up to speed, likely started-up some overuse injury. Inflammation occurred in the front part of your knee where the extensor mechanism of your knee functions.
date : July 30, 2006
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : April 9, 2005
I'd noticed occasional pain in the back of my left leg once in a while when running. The pain is now running from my buttocks to the knee. I am having occasional back aches too.