General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those of you taking Testosterone supplements for 'LOW T' Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-06-30 8:24 PM
in reply to: spudone

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-07-01 9:32 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: For those of you taking Testosterone supplements for 'LOW T'
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by spudone

Each to their own on personal medical decisions, IMO.  But people should a) know that it's illegal in competition, and b) be aware of the risks that Fred mentioned... esp because the drug companies' advertising really glosses over this stuff.

agree. It's marketed as a 'feel good' drug and they didn't list the DVT risk in the tv ads from my recollection. My feeling is that the companies that make these products are going to be dealing with the class action lawyers soon... And personally being in the medical field I have a hard time with how aggressive they've marketed themselves on tv. As for the triathletes that justify taking testosterone while competing without a TUE, well, I've found that most people can rationalize almost anything can't they?

Most urologists who think it is a miracle drug do not know that even for amateur athletes it is not legal for competition. I asked some of them if they warn their patients about cardiac risks, cancer risks and that they cannot compete. They do not.
2014-07-01 4:19 PM
in reply to: TriToy

, Wisconsin
I had a Pulmonary Embolism about a dozen years ago. Not related to any medication. But I will say that it SUUUUUCKED royally. Lost more work time than at any other time in my life. HURT like crazy, and permanently lost a bunch of lung capacity (they estimate about 20%). So, IMHO I would not take any medication that increased my chances of that unless I absolutely had to.

FWIW, I'll be 60 in a couple days and I think reg strength training, endurance training and eating right do a fine job of keeping this ole guy in balance with everything working pretty well.
2014-07-02 9:22 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Arden, North Carolina
I'll never understand cheating to win, especially at the age group level. Sure, when there's a fortune to be made at the pro/elite level, but I'd never want to win something unfairly. I don't even like the idea of winning if the people/person ahead of me crashes/gets injured/etc. I want to win by beating the best fairly. How can you possibly take pride in winning if you had to cheat to get there?
2014-07-02 9:50 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville

I'll never understand cheating to win, especially at the age group level. Sure, when there's a fortune to be made at the pro/elite level, but I'd never want to win something unfairly.

Yes there is a fortune to be made in a lot of pro sports but Triathlon isn't one of them. Yes there is a couple that make a good living but my guess is most people on BT make more money than 90% of professional triathletes. I know a professional triathlete that has to work a real job and rooms with a buddy just to make ends meet.
2014-07-02 11:15 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by Fred D

Each to their own on personal medical decisions, IMO.  But people should a) know that it's illegal in competition, and b) be aware of the risks that Fred mentioned... esp because the drug companies' advertising really glosses over this stuff.

agree. It's marketed as a 'feel good' drug and they didn't list the DVT risk in the tv ads from my recollection. My feeling is that the companies that make these products are going to be dealing with the class action lawyers soon... And personally being in the medical field I have a hard time with how aggressive they've marketed themselves on tv. As for the triathletes that justify taking testosterone while competing without a TUE, well, I've found that most people can rationalize almost anything can't they?

Fred I would be really interested to hear your thoughts regarding any corrallaries between this in men VS increased risk of DVT in women on BCPs.  Same MOA?  agree with you. there will be more cases of DVT then a giant class action law suit etc etc.  I see it coming a million miles away as you do.  I personally think it should not be legal for drug companies to market directly tot he public for drugs which require a prescription.  You need a drug or you do not need a drug.  Its up to your doctor to prescribe it.  Drugs are not toys

2014-07-02 12:22 PM
in reply to: Socks

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-02 1:18 PM
in reply to: EKH

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by EKH

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville

I'll never understand cheating to win, especially at the age group level. Sure, when there's a fortune to be made at the pro/elite level, but I'd never want to win something unfairly.

Yes there is a fortune to be made in a lot of pro sports but Triathlon isn't one of them. Yes there is a couple that make a good living but my guess is most people on BT make more money than 90% of professional triathletes. I know a professional triathlete that has to work a real job and rooms with a buddy just to make ends meet.

I was mainly referring to football/baseball players where there are millions at stake and the benefits of cheating are far greater. Which makes it seem even more ludicrous for age groupers to cheat when there's nothing more than pride(for the most part) on the line. How exactly can one feel proud when you cheated to get there?
2014-07-02 1:34 PM
in reply to: spudone

Master
Sedona, AZ

It's illegal out of competition too.

I don't care of someone does it, just don't compete if you do.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those of you taking Testosterone supplements for 'LOW T' Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

daily supplements, what are you taking and why?

Started by clemson05
Views: 938 Posts: 8

2013-03-27 10:54 AM Burd

Low testosterone for a female

Started by noelle1230
Views: 1033 Posts: 4

2013-02-11 2:20 PM trinnas

Testosterone Supplements Pages: 1 2 3

Started by plumberchris
Views: 11896 Posts: 61

2013-01-11 11:46 AM bufordt

to supplement or not to supplement Pages: 1 2

Started by trophytaker
Views: 2704 Posts: 26

2008-03-04 9:13 AM Concretechris

What supplements are you taking? Pages: 1 2

Started by Browe79
Views: 1527 Posts: 28

2004-09-25 8:50 AM Laerka
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
"What are the current ideas on supplements for the triathlete?" This article will give you some real food options for many of the important nutrients.

date : September 12, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Maintaining bone health throughout the lifespan should be a priority for all athletes, starting as youngsters and continuing as master's athletes.