Nevis Civic and Commerce
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 32m 48s
Overall Rank = 140/242
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/22
Pre-race routine:

We had about a 12 mile drive from our hotel to the race, and we actually got on the road earlier than expected. On the way, I tried to eat some breakfast, but right from the first bite of the PowerBar, my stomach was not cooperating. I forced down half of it, but didn't dare eat more. Washed that down with a sport shake and hoped for the best.

We found a good parking spot, decent transition spot, set up, got bodymarked, hit the bathrooms, etc; the normal stuff. Chatted with Ian, Jeff, and Dave before the race.
Event warmup:

We went on a short bike ride just to loosen the legs. Then I went down to the water to determine whether or not to wear a wetsuit. The water was really quite warm (although the race director did not know the official temp), so I decided to go without it. Swam around for about 10 minutes before the pre-race meeting, and for about 5 minutes afterward.
Swim
  • 08m 29s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, in hindsight, perhaps I should have worn the wetsuit, but who knows. I'm disappointed with this pace, although it was still good for 2nd in my age group. I figured on a short 1/4 mile swim, the benefit of wearing the suit wouldn't outweigh the cost of getting it off in T1 since I tend to struggle peeling it off. Last year when I did wear it, my pace was :12/100 yds faster, so maybe I was wrong about that. It was choppier this year than last, so that was a factor too.

The course is fine overall, but the turnaround seemed extremely congested for some reason. One guy in particular was hanging on the big turnaround buoy to rest and was just totally in the way. I know that is allowed, but there was a kayak not 10 feet away that would have kept him out of the middle of the already packed turnaround area. Oh well.

I used some of the sighting techniques I learned int he OWS clinic I went to a couple weeks ago and they helped.
What would you do differently?:

Wear the wetsuit?
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

Heh. This time was only 1 second faster than my T1 from last year when I *did* wear my wetsuit. So much for my time-saving theory! :) I also had a severe case of the drops--it seemed everything I put my hands on slipped out or rolled away from me or whatever. Felt very frazzled as I finally unracked the bike and headed out.

Just calm down a bit I guess.
Bike
  • 48m 10s
  • 14 miles
  • 17.44 mile/hr
Comments:

Finally, a ride this year that was faster compared to last year! And another 17mph average, which is very good for me. Considering it was much windier this year too, I'm pretty pleased with this ride. The first half was hillier than the second, but the wind helped a bit at the start. The second half was flatter, but parts were straight into the wind, which made for a challenege. I probably passed about 8-10 people, which is about twice as many as normal for me.

Drink less. I had a side cramp at the end from drinking too much, again. I just cannot get a handle on how much I should drink on the bike. I didn't even attempt a Gu this time given how my stomach was feeling. (Also didn't want to repeat the Gu packet disaster from last year. ha ha)
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Pretty average T2. I know I keep saying I'm going to use speed laces, but of course I haven't yet. The sad thing is that I have them; they're just not on my shoes. Very helpful, I know. :P

Speed laces (same song, different race!)
Run
  • 32m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, this is disappointing compared to last year, but I expected it might be right from the start. My legs were just burning off the bike and I thought I might pay for it on the run. My calves started to cramp right away, so I had to slow a bit. That passed and I tried to speed up, but seriously, this is me we're talking about. :) Running is not my strong suit anyway, and the 7 extra pounds I am hauling along compared to last year didn't help either. I felt pretty good throughout though and tried to turn it on a little at the end. Only felt the IT band twinge a bit in the last third mile or so. Not my best run, but not my worst either.

Spin more at the end of the bike rather than standing on the last hill. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Found my husband, chatted with Ian, Jeff, and Dave a bit more. Walked around some. Failed to stretch as usual. Had some ice cream. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Extra weight compared to last year. Deciding not to wear the wetsuit on the swim.

Event comments:

A great event again this year! We were reminded why we declared this our favorite course last year. A nice small town atmosphere and a ton of community support.

I placed 9th in my age group again this year, which makes me happy. This is the only race this year where I was faster than the same course last year, so I'm glad about that too.

Last updated: 2006-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:29 | 440 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/22
Overall: 51/242
Performance: Average
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: Out and back rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:07
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:48:10 | 14 miles | 17.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/22
Overall: 137/242
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 14 mile loop; good roads, lots of shoulder, great traffic control
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:28 | 03.11 miles | 10m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/22
Overall: 189/242
Performance: Average
Course: Flat paved trail, out and back
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-14 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Northwoods Triathlon

2006-08-14 8:13 AM
in reply to: #510602

Expert
Princeton, MN
Subject: RE: Northwoods Triathlon
Well done Kelly!
I still dream of the day when I can swin as fast as you

Ian
2006-08-14 8:20 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Nice race young lady !!!!
2006-08-14 8:30 AM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Nice race, Kelly.  I, too, had stomach issues in my race this weekend.  NOT FUN!!!  Congrats on the 17+ bike.  Its the little victories that make keep racing, right?  That's my story, at least...
2006-08-14 8:36 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
top 10 in our age group! that is awesome. fantastic bike. sounds like you all had a good time. maybe i can make it up for this race next year.

2006-08-14 10:53 AM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Good race!

You do a nice job of assessing your performance. I don't think that I can add anything.

It was wonderful to see you and your husband. You didn't tell him that I was the one that caught him walking did you?

2006-08-14 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

I figured on a short 1/4 mile swim, the benefit of wearing the suit wouldn't outweigh the cost of getting it off in T1 since I tend to struggle peeling it off. 

I would agree with this assessment. 

Do you think the swim distance was incorrect?  Weird that the swim time you put up got you 2nd.  Makes me think it was off.  Huh. 

Only felt the IT band twinge a bit in the last third mile or so. Not my best run, but not my worst either.

Well, your ITB was OK.   I recall it wasn't last year.  Now you just have start running more.  

2006-08-15 1:38 PM
in reply to: #510852

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

You didn't tell him that I was the one that caught him walking did you?

Well... maybe. He just laughed and said "I had a cramp!" Sure, sure he did...

Edited by kelpeng 2006-08-15 1:38 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Northwoods Triathlon Rss Feed