General Discussion Race Reports! » Mudwater Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mudwater Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Goddard, Kansas
United States
Kansas River Valley Triathlon Club
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 46m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Signed up for this on a whim, after realizing that I hadn't raced on my new bike yet. This is my "local" race and put on by the best people!

Up at 4:30, out the door by 5:15, at race site at 5:45. Set up next to the husband of the girl I bought my bike from and chatted with my buddy Eric.
Event warmup:

Nada.
Swim
  • 18m 33s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

They announced the swim was wetsuit legal, which was hilarious at the end of June. They'd emailed last night saying it was on the border and to bring the wetsuits but I didn't bother. For a sprint, the time it takes me to wrestle it off would have been ridiculous.

Not having swam in months, there were low expectations for this. Started off strong and fast, getting around a few of the girls in front of me. Then my arms got tired - already?! Lol time for a little breast stroke. Settled into a better groove on the back half but the swim seemed pretty long - I guess that's what I get for not training :)
What would you do differently?:

Train?
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Carpet from the lake up to T1 is nice, until you get to the parking lot and get gravel in your feet. Tried to brush some off but a few pebbles made their way into my shoes. Otherwise nothing crazy happened here.

Nothing
Bike
  • 52m 10s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 17.86 mile/hr
Comments:

First race on my new bike and since I had my shifters fixed this week I had all my gears to work with. Tried hard to get momentum going on the slight down hills, but the slight up hills seemed harder than they should have been (wondering if my brakes were rubbing or something).

At the turnaround where the Oly bikers go straight, an Oly rider was passing me on the left, but I needed to turn left. I sensed him and slowed down to let him go before I turned, and he slowed down too?! Said a few swear words as he passed but I'm like "ummm, pass me - I'm not going to turn in front of you and wreck us both!"

On the back half I kept trying to catch a girl in green but never could. Even hitting it hard on the downhills I was going 23mph and made NO close on the gap. Bah. Felt good to ride hard, and I can tell I need more practice. Obvi.

Not sure.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

MY HEIDI was volunteering at bike dismount, nice to see a cheerleader. Ran to my spot and did everything without incident.

Nothing
Run
  • 33m 17s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt a bit sluggish coming off the bike but tried hard to push just a little bit. Saw Michael (ya'll remember Dr. Speedo?!) coming in to finish and said good job. Saw Eric on his heels and high fived him. The first mile seemed to take forever but then it got a bit easier and I got a bit faster.

Took both water and Gatorade at each aid station (LOVE that there are 3 on this course), smiled and cheered everyone on. The humidity was at around 90%, no joke, so the air was a factor. But the temperature was probably low 70s, really nice for a race day!

Finished strong with the announcer calling my name - nice touch. Lots of my old tri club buddies were right there at the finish line cheering for me, I loved it.

Not sure here. I feel I did pretty well for the day and where I'm at with running right now.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with old friends, expertly avoided Michael (ha), and cheered on finishers. Printed my results and realized I'd placed 3rd in my age group - WHEEE! Not sure how many people were in the age group but I will take a podium any chance I can get. So I waited for the awards ceremony and collected my medal (no podium this year, boooo).

Very enjoyable race and super fun

What limited your ability to perform faster:

General lack of swim and bike training.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:33 | 820 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot top and shorts
Course: Out and back this year, along the shore line.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:52:10 | 15.53 miles | 17.86 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back (west to east) on McArthur Road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:17 | 03.1 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-29 11:49 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Mudwater Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mudwater Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mudwater Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by Lisa Sanford
Views: 1344 Posts: 2

2013-07-24 8:07 AM KansasMom

Mudwater Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by npenner02
Views: 983 Posts: 1

2013-07-15 4:30 PM npenner02

Started by Alekssdunn
Views: 1168 Posts: 3

2013-07-24 8:04 AM KansasMom

Started by culprd
Views: 902 Posts: 1

2012-07-08 12:06 PM culprd

Started by esommer
Views: 982 Posts: 1

2011-07-11 8:17 PM esommer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.