United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 7s
Overall Rank = 329/425
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I woke around 4:00, earlier than I had set the alarm, and had already been up around 2:00am. Decided it was best to get up and begin getting ready and try to relax. Took a shower and shaved, woke Susan at 5:10, wanted to get on the road at 5:45 to be there by 7:00. No indication of check in times on the confirmation letter but the race was schedule to begin at 8:00. Susan got the kids up and I went for coffee and doughnuts for them, and a bagel for me. On the road by 5:50, not bad. I was relaxed and feeling good. Ate my bagel, chewed two immodium and drank at least a liter of water. The 50 mile trip took just under an hour and we arrived at the parking area at 6:50. There was a good 7/10 mile walk to the transition area. I left the kids and Susan to walk it, while I grabbed my bike and rode to the check in. Much bigger than my first triathlon last month, the racks covered most of the left side of the beach (uh oh, a sandy beach, had not considered that). Lots of folks had containers for water to clean off their feet, oh well, I'm sure my towel would do just fine. Still pretty relaxed considering, the sheer size was more than twice my first. Danbury had 155 participants, this one was 425. And the bikes, a significant number of tri specific and high end bikes made my neck constantly crane with bike envy. Oh well, again, my Schwinn Voyageur has gotten me this far, I took a breath, swallowed my pride and was still amazingly relaxed. Felt good to have the family all with me again, and the parents were going to be there soon as well. Checked in, got numbered (156) and set up my transition site. Well numbered, and enough room. Carpeting covering the beach to the transition area and fake grass lining the rows between racks. The guy on my right was riding a huffy mountain bike, feeling better about my schwinn, the guy on my left, a Softride, ugh. Went to the bathroom to unhydrate myself and was ready to go.
Event warmup:

Got a small amount of biking to the transition area and about 7:40 donned my wetsuit and waded into the brown water of Lake Lenape. They call it a Cedar Lake, filtered by the NJ Pine Barrens. It kind of tastes like unsweetened iced tea, and looks exactly like it. Swam about 150 yards or so to stretch out my arms. Still feeling good.
Swim
  • 10m
  • 462 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

I guess my swimming is my best event, who'd have thought? Still having trouble getting into my breathing routine in the lakes. Hopefully that will get better with experience.

What would you do differently?:

Not much. Still using the sidestroke when I get tired of freestyle. It's definately a fast alternative.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

OK a new lesson learned. When coming out of the transition area onto the road, stay to the middle of the road. I was on the right toward the curb and a woman having trouble clipping into her clips ran me off the road. I tried to unclip but didn't have enough time and found myself against the curb with no where to go. Fell over but fortunately suffered no damage. Quickly got back up and clipped back in and off I went.

310/425

Ride to middle of road coming out of transition. Pay more attention to the other riders around me to make sure they are not going to affect my transition.
Bike
  • 35m 45s
  • 11 miles
  • 18.46 mile/hr
Comments:

About 1/4 way into the ride I reminded myself that it's all about today. No need to worry about being ok to ride tomorrow, give it all you've got. That helped me quicken my pace and I felt good about it mentally. Began the ride by eating half a clif pb bar, hoping to keep my sugars up as during Danbury I felt woozy coming out of the water into the transition. Hydrated well, half water, half gatorade. Didn't want to overdue it and get cramps during the run. Dismounted at the last possible spot before the run with the bike back to the transition area. Short run about 50 yards. Quick change into running sneakers and out on my way.

I'm not sure how a new bike (modern, lighter, faster, stronger, better, hmmm, bionic?) would affect my ride. The fastest riders are going at a 25-26 mph pace, I'm doing 18.5. Will this be affected by a better bike? How much affect? Is this my weight, my training? Things to think about? Questions to post.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Pretty good transition. Biked raked quickly, helmet off and changed sneakers. Not sure what I could have done faster. Running with the bike in my shoes. I think if I get out of my shoes, leaving them clipped in, and run in my socks or barefoot that I could knock off some time.

280/425

Work on getting out of the shoes and leaving them clipped to bike.
Run
  • 34m 12s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Able to run in shade during some portions, you could definately feel the difference when running at the curb under the trees. Took water at all 3 stations, drank half, poured half. At turn around they had a fire hose spraying one side of the road, took the turn under the hose, it felt great! I knew the finish was about 1.5 miles and was feeling good. Keep pace with a guy with a brace on his knee who would run faster and then stop and walk, I would catch him while he walked. Clearly the run is my worst element, but this one was definately faster than my last, about the same (maybe a bit slower) than my 5k in April. Not bad following the swim and bike segments. I think I could have pushed a bit more, but I don't think too much more. I definately did the last 1/2 mile at a quicker pace, basically lengthening my strides.

Run faster? More training for the run. Need to work on my pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Food! Peanut butter on a bagel. Wow, I think JIF is better than Skippy. 2 oranges, and lots of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hopefully not more than my
1) Experience Level
2) 15 year old bike
3) Inability to run faster
4) Still carrying about 35 pounds too much
5)

Event comments:

Nice race. I will definately look forward to going back next year. It was nice to have my parents there. The kids and Susan all volunteered at a water station and got race shirts for their help. Noah handed out water and rooted everyone on with gusto. It was great hearing him telling everyone what a great job they were doing. My kids are OK. Sometimes we see them as people instead of just our children and breath a sigh of relief that their good people.

After my first race, in Danbury CT on June 19 I felt let down afterwords. I not sure exactly what it was, perhaps something about it was anti-climatic. I had worked so hard and it was just 'ok'. However, it's Tuesday now and I can still feel the sense of euphoria in my bones, under my skin. I'm so pleased at how well I did, and proud of myself for the continued effort. I'm looking forward to my next race, and am scouring the web for where and when!

Age group 42/49

Last updated: 2004-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:00 | 462 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/425
Performance: Good
Waist high wade start. 2 minute intervals between waves. I was in the 5th wave, men 35-40, red caps.
Suit: ProMotion Sleeveless
Course: Starting on the right side of the beach, 4 bouys out, probably about 200 yards out, 75 yards to the left, and 200 yards back in. Slight choppiness from previous wave starts. Got in line to the first bouy and vaguely at the front of the group. At sounding dove in and made my way quickly to first bouy. Found myself behind one or two people during the swim that allowed me my first opportunity to draft during the swim, not sure if there was any noticable difference but couldn't hurt. I did stop for about 15-20 seconds as I passed a woman who was having trouble and in need of help. She was not able to get the attention of the boats so I gave a shout and a wave for her. Made good turns at all bouys, not far from any of them. Sighted to the beach exit and put my head down. Short run out of the water and up to the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:35:45 | 11 miles | 18.46 mile/hr
Overall: 303/425
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 5.5 miles out and 5.5 miles back. Although the course was advertisted as flat, it had a number of rolling short and not steep hills. Enough to need to downshift a gear or two on the way up to keep up my rpm's.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:12 | 03.2 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 377/425
Performance: Below average
Course: Definately flat here. A loop of some sort, about 1.7 miles to a turn around and the 1.5 to finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-07-13 10:44 AM

Veteran
South Orange, NJ
Subject: Lake Lenape Triathlon

2004-07-13 12:16 PM
in reply to: #37082

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Lake Lenape Triathlon

im glad this one worked!  and again, i apologize for whatever happend and will see what could be done.

sounds like u have some great kids...i just hope mine will share the enthusiasm too when they grow up.  it must be cool getting handed water by your own flesh and blood...u must be a proud daddy.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Lenape Triathlon Rss Feed