General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trying to Figure Out What Went Wrong Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-30 12:02 PM

Subject: Trying to Figure Out What Went Wrong
Hey Everyone!!

I normally don't post questions or issues since I normally can find what I am looking for by doing a search. I love this site and have learned so much from everyone here.

So in three weeks I will be doing my first half ironman. I have done 8 triathlons (both sprint and olympic), 12 full marathons, 5 ultra marathons, and a few century bike rides. Swimming is my weakest sport and I have worked my butt off this past winter and spring to build my endurance and speed (I am still super slow). I felt confident that I can complete the swim distance in under the time requirement. That was until my olympic distance triathlon yesterday.

I went into my triathlon yesterday feeling confident and energized. For the swim (which they said was 65 degrees but it felt much colder to me), they had us jump in and tread water for a couple of minutes. I felt fine and thought I was adjusting well to the water temperature. When they blew the horn I started swimming and immediately had trouble breathing. Now normally I always feel a little winded at the start but am always able to get that under control and get into my zone. However, that never happened. I was barely swimming and was gasping for air. I tried the trick where I got on my back and floated hoping my breathing would regulate. As soon as I thought I was good I would flip around, swim a few strokes and would end up gasping for air. I tried this for a little while but was making no progress. At that point I think a lifeguard saw I was struggling (which I admit I was) and helped me out. She asked if I could continue and I said I can't get my breathing under control. They put me on a boat and took me to the swim finish. I got out and thought they would take my timing chip away. When I realized they were not going to I decided to do the bike portion. The bike portion was four loops and was super flat. However, as soon as I started on the bike my breathing was again out of control, I was weezing, and my legs felt like lead. As I was approaching the end of the first loop I knew I wasn't going to make it and decided to call it a day. Nothing felt right and I knew if I kept going I would be in trouble.

Now I am freaking out about my half ironman. Today I feel fine, it just hurts a little bit to take a deep breath. I did find something online about a possible cause being a combination of the cold water and the compression of the wetsuit. Although this wetsuit is new this year, I have worn it in several races and practice swims. However, I do believe that the water temperature yesterday was the coldest I've ever swam in.

I am now trying to figure out what to do so this doesn't happen again. Obviously I can't control the water temperatures. I was thinking of switching to a sleevless wetsuit (the one I have is a full sleeve) to give me more range of motion in my upper body but am not sure if that will solve the problem. I hate cold water and I generally don't do well it in (I even have issues with the pool at the gym being to cold and they keep it at about 80 degrees). I also thought of sticking with a full sleeve and maybe getting a bigger size. Fortunately I have one more race before the half and am planning a couple of practice swims.

Has something like this ever happened to anyone and what did you do to get over it both mentally and physically? I'm trying not to beat myself up over this and just chalk it up to a learning experience but I keep going back and trying to figure out what I did wrong and what I could have done to prevent this from happening.

2014-06-30 12:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Trying to Figure Out What Went Wrong

I just went through a very similar experience in the last Oly tri I did mid-June.  I've always been comfortable in the open water, never had any trouble with the swim portion.  Like you, I am a fairly slow swimmer, but I can always complete the distance just fine.  At my last race, the air temp was around 55 degrees and the water temp maybe 60ish.  This was also a tread water start.  Right from the get go I just couldn't get into any kind of rhythm.  I would get  in a few strokes but just couldn't get my breath or my heart rate under control.  I ended up breast stroking much of the swim.  A few other women were not able to continue and got out with the kayaks. I made the swim but it was awful. I never felt truly panicked, but it was just a miserable swim.  I don't know if it was the temperature of the water combined with a colder morning or what, but it was exactly what you described.  A month prior I completed IM St. George 70.3 with no swim issues whatsoever.  I don't really have any advice to offer other than bad swims happen!  

Edited by ingleshteechur 2014-06-30 12:14 PM
2014-06-30 1:39 PM
in reply to: katgirl2013

User image

Champion
MA

Any chance you could have blood clots in your lungs? If so you need to get checked out asap! Any unusual leg pain in previous week or two?

Trouble taking a deep breath today is what concerns me and makes me ask.

My husband had blood clots in his legs that went through his heart into his lungs. They could have killed him. This can be a serious issue and one that can effect athletes who get dehydrated a bit, sit after exercising hard, and athletes who may have unknown clotting disorders.

Please consider getting some medical attention to make sure you don't have some underlying issue.

2014-06-30 1:43 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Champion
MA

Here is a great post about the risk.

2014-06-30 3:41 PM

User image

Did you warmup inthe water before the event and get your face in while doing so? Cold water takes mybreath away untili get used to it, so getting iahead of time is a must.
2014-06-30 3:53 PM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
Hi there,

Have you been doing a lot of OWS or not at all? If temps are not that high it is crucial that your body get used to the cold water temps before a race. In addition are you used to swimming in your wetsuit? Is it correctly fitted or maybe too tight?
Usually those are the reasons.

But.... Last year in June one of my teammates (one of the fastest female triathletes in this country) stopped an OWS with the same symptoms as you describe. She is a nurse herself and out it down to not being too used to the cold and the tight wetsuit.
Then we went to Worlds in London in September and she had the same struggle during the swim but finished the entire race in a very slow time and went straight intk the medical tent and was diagnosed with Pulmonary Edema! She was spitting brown stuff during the whole run.

They said it could have been that this has already started in June so maybe you want to get this checked out as well. Its probably unlikely but you never know..

2014-06-30 4:00 PM
in reply to: Joblin

User image

Expert

It's probably worth a trip to the doctor if you were wheezing and are still having symptoms today.  Cold can provoke asthma in some people, and they can check you for that (and medications could help), and as someone else mentioned, it could also be cold-induced pulmonary edema.  I'm less familiar with that, but I think you would want to be very cautious about swimming in cold water.  Hopefully your half has warmer water!

2014-06-30 7:44 PM
in reply to: momandmd

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ditto the above response. Definitely get checked for PE, asthma, pneumonia. I'm not an MD but do have asthma and unfortunately cold air/water is definitely a trigger for some people. There are meds you can take before a race that will relax your bronchial tubes and lessen your chance of an attack. I have to admit I just avoid racing or training in really cold water, because I don't like to worry about the possibility that I'll have one anyway. Below about 70, I sometimes feel a bit wheezy during the swim and for a while after; below 60, I just can't function despite meds, extended warmup, etc.

It can be really helpful to swim a warmup to the point where you can put your head in the water and breathe normally. The problem with this for really cold-blooded athletes (I also have this issue) is that you then might freeze before the actual swim start if air temps aren't that warm and you have to get out. It was one reason I chose a HIM with fairly moderate water temps (about 70-72) and an in-the-water start--I could go directly from the swim warmup into the swim.
2014-06-30 9:24 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. I am feeling better but am planning on going to the doctor just to make sure I'm really ok.

I think the combination of the tightness of the wetsuit and the cold water temperature is what caused this. I normally like to do a warmup swim beforehand but that was not allowed (we weren't even allowed to practice the day before). I'm going to try wearing the looser, sleeveless wetsuit and see if that makes a difference.

I have one more triathlon before the half ironman. I plan on practicing where the swim will be twice. Plus I did a race in that same lake last year so I do feel confident. For the half ironman I am going up there the day before the race and will be able to get a practice swim in. They are also going to let people warmup before the race.

It is nice to know that others have been in this same situation. Fortunately I've had far more good races then bad so I don't feel completely demoralized after this one. I've trained hard for this half and I feel ready. I'm just thankful this happened at this race and not during the half.
2014-06-30 9:33 PM

User image

Originally posted by katgirl2013
I normally like to do a warmup swim beforehand but that was not allowed (we weren't even allowed to practice the day before).

Well that goes against pretty much everything I've read about preventing deaths in triathlon.

Good luck figuring out what works for you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trying to Figure Out What Went Wrong Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Trying to figure out knee issue

Started by d_mon13
Views: 633 Posts: 1

2014-03-25 8:28 PM d_mon13

Ran my first 70.3 and I am trying to figure out

Started by Tommoody
Views: 1004 Posts: 12

2011-07-19 9:26 PM trainforacure

Trying to figure out what happened to me during my run today

Started by Kath2163
Views: 1229 Posts: 11

2009-07-05 11:36 AM Kath2163

It's all going wrong!

Started by his8msl
Views: 551 Posts: 3

2006-02-26 6:41 PM Freeswimmingfish

Re-fitting - what went wrong?

Started by cobannero
Views: 828 Posts: 7

2006-02-04 11:34 PM auto208562
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
My right knee has a pain in the front, just below the kneecap. I walked 24 miles of IM Louisville. No pain while walking but it started immediately when trying to run.